What load made you scratch your head?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Post your strangest Load you know the one that made you say why would they do this?
I'll start and if anyone can tell me why I would like to know.
I carried racks of Letter's from Charlotte NC to NYC that were addressed and Stamped and I didn't pick them up at a post office,but from the senders place of business. Why didn't they just mail them? I did deliver them to a post office.

At 29th st on the west side? That's a major bulk mail station.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Strangest loads.....two come to my mind.
1. 800lbs of frozen KFC chicken from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to a restaurant for a grand opening because they didn't order enough. *warehouse to store.
2. 500lbs of Domino's pizza dough from Woodridge IL to St. Louis on Super Bowl Sunday. They ran out of dough. *warehouse to warehouse.
I used to run a lot of Burger King loads too!

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
6 cases of BigMac containers during Monopoly game time from Iowa to Colorado. Never had to sign my name for a load so many times before or since. Could of had the big winner!

Synthetic "skin" from Chicago to Eastern Kentucky for an operation.

There are soooo many more!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Picked up an elephant display piece in New Jersey and took it to Marc Jacobs / Mark Echo in Chicago, dam elephant took up the whole truck, two pieces and the customer had to remove the front Windows to get said elephant into the building!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Picked up an elephant display piece in New Jersey and took it to Marc Jacobs / Mark Echo in Chicago, dam elephant took up the whole truck, two pieces and the customer had to remove the front Windows to get said elephant into the building!

We showed up all the guys to help unload were dressed like metrosexual male models and not used to manual labor...thankfully there was another expediter delivering another display and the window removers to unload the thing!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
A full truckload floor to roof@24' potato chips to Wooster,oh picked up at Hopkins airport, hot hot load came in airfreight from Texas, dropped off and dock guy had no clue.....imagine a dock guy with no clue

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Every load where the shipper has zero paperwork to go with the freight.

I stopped carrying my printer for this reason. It's amazing how often they WILL find a quick solution when I don't chime in with an offer to call the broker to email me one to print.
I've only had to stop to print en route 3 times since. And that's about 8-10 mo the since I stopped carting the printer.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Strangest loads.....two come to my mind.
1. 800lbs of frozen KFC chicken from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to a restaurant for a grand opening because they didn't order enough. *warehouse to store.
2. 500lbs of Domino's pizza dough from Woodridge IL to St. Louis on Super Bowl Sunday. They ran out of dough. *warehouse to warehouse.
I used to run a lot of Burger King loads too!

Year's ago I accepted a run,but as soon as customer got the price they cancelled,it was pizza dough mix for a Pizza Hut.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Every load where the shipper has zero paperwork to go with the freight.

I carry a pack of BOL and just write one up,if I don't have any I write one on a freight bill. That is as long as it is not HazMat. I have never had that happen with HazMat.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I need to get about 6 of them. That would probably get me a year. Of just print one off the Internet. And if anyone wants a copy they can copy it.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I did another weird load, ironically enough another food load. 350lbs of bulk hamburger helper in bags from Ashton, IL to a packaging plant in St. Charles, IL 65 miles away. My van stunk of hamburger helper for weeks!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I carry a pack of BOL and just write one up,if I don't have any I write one on a freight bill. That is as long as it is not HazMat. I have never had that happen with HazMat.

I do the same, but it still makes me scratch my head when someone is ready & willing to hand over their goods without a receipt, as it were.
I've never seen it happen with anything of 'resale' value, lol, but still....
:D

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
One drum of gear oil from Philly to St Johns, NewFoundland. Had to drive the truck in the belly of the ship and take a ride on a ferry for 114 miles. I got to the cons and he said they had 10 drums already. Over all it was one of the best loads ever as it paid very well and the ride on the Ocean is something everyone should do.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
During the Katrina hurricane we picked up a full load at the Jimmy Swigart staging building. We drove the load to the front of the building where it was supposed to be picked up by a helicopter. The chopper was commandeered by a politician, so they had to send in a smaller one, This chopper could only carry 8 boxes so we had to leave the rest sitting on the lawn.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
During the Katrina hurricane we picked up a full load at the Jimmy Swigart staging building. We drove the load to the front of the building where it was supposed to be picked up by a helicopter. The chopper was commandeered by a politician, so they had to send in a smaller one, This chopper could only carry 8 boxes so we had to leave the rest sitting on the lawn.

See, THAT bull$hit should have gone VERY public!!! That's crap!!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
One drum of gear oil from Philly to St Johns, NewFoundland. Had to drive the truck in the belly of the ship and take a ride on a ferry for 114 miles. I got to the cons and he said they had 10 drums already. Over all it was one of the best loads ever as it paid very well and the ride on the Ocean is something everyone should do.

Did Houston to St. Johns last October. I agree... should be on everyone's must-do list. Ferry ride over was lovely. Ride back sucked out loud. Real choppy seas, and the dogs were not thrilled they had to stay in the truck in the ship's belly.

When was the last time the little boat showed up on your GPS?

Attachments

• 1377657618599.jpg
    1377657618599.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 72
  • 1377657669656.jpg
    1377657669656.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 1377657741743.jpg
    1377657741743.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1377657770640.jpg
    1377657770640.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 1377657799238.jpg
    1377657799238.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 71

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of my loads get me scratching my head. But if they want to pay for it I'll move it. Did do some head stratching a little while ago as I was talking to a semi driver who was getting one small skid on a 53ft trailer. Can't image what that must have cost to ship :confused:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I see you rode the freighter. We rode on the main ships both ways. Do they still have the chicken place by the port in North Sydney called "lick a chick" with the guy on top of the building riding a bike? The chicken was good and the name is funny too.

Sent from my PH44100 using EO Forums mobile app