What is the negative side of expediting?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think the greatest down side to this expediting thing is the picking up and delivering of freight and dealing with the shippers and consignees. Other than that, this is a pretty cool job.
I think it'd be perfect if I could just stay in one place..... ;)
John made a smart move by limiting the layover pay. Otherwise, I would just take a nice load to BFE and SIT :D

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the greatest down side to this expediting thing is the picking up and delivering of freight and dealing with the shippers and consignees. Other than that, this is a pretty cool job.

I am just the opposite....love the people, even the idiots, love the challenge of making the load fit...you vanners know what I mean ....LOL.....any whacko can drive down the road..it gets boring real quick....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think if you want to find the negative about being a vanner in expedited, you'll find plenty and to spare. On the other hand--- this is a job you simply can't do for long unless you love the lifestyle on some level. Some people pay big money to go camping one week a year. We get paid to camp all year. Man, what a deal! The only problem is that when you get a bit of "vacation" time you can't go camping because that's what you've been doing all year at work.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I think vanners are an amazing bunch capable of living on the road weeks at a time in such cramped quarters. I know I could never do it. I need a bit more room to relax while I wait.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am just the opposite....love the people, even the idiots, love the challenge of making the load fit...you vanners know what I mean
I'm with ya, I was being sarcastic. If I didn't deal with shippers and consignees, I wouldn't be some wacko driving down the road.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
some wacko driving down the road.

m1.jpg

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I like that idea. Thats what I did. Built in moveable wall to be able to run a team. Works well.

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You hit the nail right on the head. This is the life that alot of expediters live. It's not an easy life and not for everyone.

guido4475

Not a Member
What your describing sounds like a Yellow Penske cube van . I m guessing a 2008 , that configuration is too Heavy ,,,, empty ,,, and leaves little weight available for LEGALLY hauling freight .

You hit the nail on the head.Too heavy of a vehicle to begin with.

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Seems to work well for me. I can carry 3000lbs and only be over weight by 82 lbs. Most of my loads are around 1000 to 2800lbs. I get alot of loads that are to big, in dims for a van. Or light enough 6 skids. I've been running 3, 16'ers for a little over a year and a half now. Will be moving up to the larger straights next year.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You hit the nail right on the head. This is the life that alot of expediters live. It's not an easy life and not for everyone.

Expediting in a cargo van is like being a carinie. Cept you don't have to set up and tear down the big tent after the show ends.