What is the negative side of expediting?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Depends upon how good of a semi job you had.
1) Contractor w/o benefits,taxes with-held,etc
2) Sparodic work
3) no apu in most vans
I'm not a vanner so I'll let the pro's finish.
Good luck.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Thanks Zorry and Ragman. I was an O/O for a few years so I know about quarterly reporting and benefits. I lived out of a flat top COE and know about not standing up.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Sporadic freight is a concern. I'm not looking to get rich, just pay the bills. Sitting and waiting for freight may or may not be a concern. I can remember waiting all day for freight then get a load when I was ready for bed. Just haven't done it in a long time.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It isn't just waiting all day but at times waiting days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's been a few years since I did it, but waiting all day for freight is not the worst - waiting for all of 3 or 4 days in a row is much worse.
Like "Merry Christmas", it's been said many times, many ways, but the fact is that there are more cargo vans out there than freight for them to haul on a consistent basis. It's the easiest entree for the entry level expediter with zero experience and little ready cash, which makes it a popular choice for many who think it'll be easy. If you have some knowledge, experience, and cash reserves to cover maintenance, repairs, and the slow times, you'll outlast the others - and most likely decide to upgrade to a Sprinter, lol.
;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For those coming from general trucking in a semi to expediting, the hardest adjustment is the sitting. Those going to a cargo van, it's even more of an adjustment. Some of it is exclusive use of the truck and is booked a little bit in advance, but most of it is emergency freight, booked on little notice, and you never know when that will be or where it is going to. Because of the erratic loads, the pay is erratic, as well. Sometimes ii's very, very good, sometimes it's very, very bad. I would estimate most from general trucking cannot handle the sitting and the uneven revenue. Most give up within 6 months, maybe only 3. Many pack it in after only a few weeks. It's a major adjustment.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The learning curve is different for all of us ,, But main things Cash reserve , Proper vehicle for you and company leased to , Different freight lanes from semi or even str. 8 truck , Less personal items than in semi , Different home time --non scheduled like as in semi , Ability to stay busy or occupied while waiting 3 to 4 days for load , Most importantly a sence of humor when dealing with the cast of charactors on EO .

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
See what you think of this idea. GMC Savanna 3500 with a 16' box 98 wide, 8 - 10 feet high, GVWR 10,000 with a pass thru door. 42 - 48 inch sleeper and 12 foot cargo area, room for 6 pallets. 6.0 gas, auto, 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was in a semi OTR for a few years and decided to work a cubicle job for awhile that didn't work out. I decided I wanted to get back out on the road and decided on a van so I wouldn't have to deal with all the regulations. I made it for 6 months before I found that the regulations weren't as bad as the waiting, very erratic pay, and lower pay. If you have money saved and a low cost of living then you only need to figure out how to deal with the differences but, if you have a mortgage and have not gotten a load in several days it is stressful. I would consider a change to OTR, regional, dedicated, or change the type of trailer you pull.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I pulled containers into and out of Chicago for 3 1/2 years as a company driver for JB Hunt. Mostly WI but sometimes IA. I got whiplash from being rearended. I liked the pay, the equipment and the job but all three changed. I haven't ruled out semi. Probably make more driving semi. No mortgage or car payment.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not the van, it's the sitting, but you'll sit more in a van than you will in a straight or a semi.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
If you have the license to drive a T/T, experience, a clean driving record, and you like the work, why would you want to go to a van? There is a high demand for good T/T drivers, you will make much more money, and you will not spend your life sitting in a parking lot...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What your describing sounds like a Yellow Penske cube van . I m guessing a 2008 , that configuration is too Heavy ,,,, empty ,,, and leaves little weight available for LEGALLY hauling freight .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have the license to drive a T/T, experience, a clean driving record, and you like the work, why would you want to go to a van? There is a high demand for good T/T drivers, you will make much more money, and you will not spend your life sitting in a parking lot...

I agree.....great advice....:)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
For those coming from general trucking in a semi to expediting, the hardest adjustment is the sitting. Those going to a cargo van, it's even more of an adjustment. Some of it is exclusive use of the truck and is booked a little bit in advance, but most of it is emergency freight, booked on little notice, and you never know when that will be or where it is going to. Because of the erratic loads, the pay is erratic, as well. Sometimes ii's very, very good, sometimes it's very, very bad. I would estimate most from general trucking cannot handle the sitting and the uneven revenue. Most give up within 6 months, maybe only 3. Many pack it in after only a few weeks. It's a major adjustment.

My son is o/o of his t/t. When I was on the road expediting I was sitting a lot and he said he could not do that. He runs produce now, he never sits much, always rolling, but it is expensive running your own t/t and refer. But then again, running an t/t is not for me, went with him once for a month or so, it was in experience, learned to drive it, was a kw900 , was a big tractor, but its not for me. To dangerous in a t/t and no freedom to come and go .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My son is o/o of his t/t. When I was on the road expediting I was sitting a lot and he said he could not do that. He runs produce now, he never sits much, always rolling, but it is expensive running your own t/t and refer. But then again, running an t/t is not for me, went with him once for a month or so, it was in experience, learned to drive it, was a kw900 , was a big tractor, but its not for me. To dangerous in a t/t and no freedom to come and go .

That right there....you either have to rent a car or take a cab to go sight seeing....even tho TT's don't usually sit that long to worry about it....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What your describing sounds like a Yellow Penske cube van . I m guessing a 2008 , that configuration is too Heavy ,,,, empty ,,, and leaves little weight available for LEGALLY hauling freight .

I drove one of those once as a rental. I noticed just what you said, the payload was less than any 2500 series van and because it's a baby box truck it consumes more fuel. Great for moving from one apartment to another, not so good for trying to make a living.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter

Penske GMC Savanna 3500 tare wt 6756, 16' x 8' x 10'6" box, 177" wheelbase, auto, 323 hp 6.0L gas, 4.10 gears. I saw another thread stating GM curb wt included 165 lbs for driver and full of fuel.

Penske Ford E350 tare wt 8000, same box, 158" wheelbase,auto,255 hp 5.4 L gas, 4.10 gears.

Penske offers decent pricing (10k - 15k) depending on year and milage with 6 month warranty.
All the vans I saw were the cut away box over the rear wheels and 96" was the widest box. None had a pass through door from the cab to the box.

I would like the pass through door into my living space with the entire box sitting above the rear wheels. Maybe raise the box to dock height? Maybe just add a lift gate? Saw several 98" wide boxes listed which I think would be better. Chevy Express 3500 only showed 15' boxes. It would appear to me that a GMC 3500 with a 16' box could be made comfortable and still load 2500 lbs.