What is for lunch and dinner this month....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok as i said in a previous post, one of my businesses is a "personal chef" service...in that business i do an indepth onterview with the client to determeine the food likes, dislikes, and diet or medical restrictions and any special recipes that like. I then use that info to plan the menu that i will cook for then. That menu can be enough food to allow the client to feed whatever size family they have for as few as 3 days or up to 2 weeks....just depends on the clients needs.

Anyhow the reason i bring this up is that this is what i do for myself when i am at home and out of service. I have been Out Of Service since last sunday and will go back in service this coming monday. So yesterday i did menu planning, went grocery shopping today and cooked this afternoon and will finish tomorrow afternoon.

I thought I'd put the menu up here so you can get an idea of some of the things that can be cooked ahead of time, vacuum sealed and ate within a 28 day period.

I planned and cooked recipe to feed 2 people for 10 days. That is a total of 20 meals...I will eat everything twice...I seal everything seperate if there are sperate items such as a starch, veggie and protein. That way while i planned the menu one way, i can always mix and match items as i go instead of always following the planned menu. When there is a "casserole" or "crockpot" type meal, they will normally have all 3 food classes within on "pot" so the whole meal is sealed together.

So with that here is the menu i will have for the next 21 days...
Oh, i still eat out a few times a week and do the fast food deal also....so you can still get smoe variety...

(1) Italian Sausage, potato, onion and bell pepper Pan Fry...a simple meal with boiled petite redskin taters, red and green bell peppers and onions sauted in Italian salad dressing and olive oil and served with fresh Italian Sausage

(2) Smoked Babyback ribs and vinegar slaw...

(3) Apricot & Pork Stew...Pork loin chops cut into pieces cooked browned in red pepper infused olive oil, then a mixture of diced potatoes, celery, carrots and green beans along with Apicot juam and chopped dried apricots....mmmmm good

(4) Apple Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and sweet corn cut from the cob and pan fried. A 6 oz meatloaf made with grated carrot, diced onion, and diced granny smith apples...glazed with picante sauce...the corn is cut from the cob, the cobs scrapped to get all of the natural sugars from the pulp then it is pan fried in an iron skillet with diced red peppers and olive oil

(5) Grilled Pesto /stuffed Chicken Breast, Brown Rice with golden raisins , and fresh green beans steamed in chicken broth

A boneless skinless plump chicken breast sliced at the center line to form a pocket..make your own or buy a good quality pesto... i like to make mine with fresh basil, garlic, olive oil and mac nuts....fill the pocket with the pesto, and grill on a George Foreman....Brown rice is made in a $6 ricer/steamer from walmart, raisins are cooked right along with the rice. The same $6 steamer does the fresh green beans,,for a really tasty treat, once the beans are done and plated, splash them with a good quality Balsamic vinegar.

(6) LOL, this one is a old fav of mine from when i was a kid growing up poor..We called it "Shipwreck" Sliced potatoes, fresh green beans and browned ground beef, layer it in a cassorle dish and bake it...add whatever spices you like to add some flavor, i use cumin...

(7) Caliente Pot Roast A Mexican "style" slow cooker pot roast. Sear a 2lb pot roast in a cup of coffee on all sides. Remove asnd drain coffee add 1 cup of red wine ( advise, always, and only cook with a wine that you would drink! No reason to use a wine that you don't like to flavor the food you are cooking, and thise socalled "cooking wines", are garbage..) Now add sliced mushrooms and a chopped bunch of cilantro and 12 ozs of picante sauce, add all of this to a crockpot and set it on high for about 6-7 hours or until the roast can be easily pulled apart with a fork. At this point add 3 quartered roma tomatoes and cook for 15 more mintues.

(8) This one was a recipe from a renal client that i cooked very meal he and his wife ate foe 18 months, breakfest lunch and dinner... luckily his kids had it good in the work a day work, because they paid me dearly.

Shrimp and White Bean Ragout This is really juat simple seafood stew made with shrimp and creole spices and alot of diced fresh veggies.

(9) Chipotle Mac and cheese... I love good homemade Mac and Cheese and it needs at least 3 different cheeses to be good, but this one also add 7 ozs. of canned Chipotle peppers, you have to like it hot!! MMM good....3 cheeses pecorino, mozzarrilla, and parmesan green onions and diced mild green chili peppers....oh and dijon mustard is added to the milk and flour sauce, mmmmmm good!

(10) ok this one, chances are if you ever see me early in my turn back in service, i will probably have this meal. I buy it from a friends hot dog/chili joint in toledo..."Toledo style Chili Mac..." i have been eating it a few times a month since i was old enough to go out and buy it myself, i love this stuff, while i can make it and it is pretty darn close, its never as good as "jims".. A simple highly spiced meat sauce, served over spaghetti noodles and covered in pinto beans...a handful of onions if you so desire and also some shredded colby jack cheese.....for me, just meat, beans!!

So there you have it... most of the time i will eat 1 one those meals a day for dinner if i am sitting, if i am really bored, ill eat 2 of the a day.....

One other thing some of you might what to think about... i think it is Reynolds makes a battery powered hand held vaccum sealer. It takes their special bags, but what it does do is lets you buy a dinner that you really enjoyed and get it "to go"...take it out to the truck and vaccum seal it, those it in the frig and you are set to go!!!!

If anyone wants any of the recipes for any of the above, just ask......

OH!!! I forgot 1, i have a recipe that i got from another personal chef from cinncy ohio. She was from a large Italian famliy that her dad and his brother came to this country in the 50's. They did very well snd they brought their parents here. Well Grandma was a rather frugal lady and even while the sons did well she wouldn't over indulge. This is one of my friends favorite recipes form her gramdma and it is sooo simple and easy and sooo full of flavor!!

We call it "Grandmas italian beef, pork and onion stew"....thats was all that grandma use , well she used butter to brown the meats and to saute the onions and 2 crushed roma tomatoes.... Becak made a few changes, but nothing big. She uses tomato paste instead of whole crushed tomatoes, she also adds fresh italian herbs and some lemon grass...thats it....eveything is to taste, nothing over the top and the flavors make your mouth water....mmmm good!

Last edited:

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Chef Dennis, these are the most amazing menus. I think I would have a hard time deciding which one to eat first! I looked at that vacuum sealer at WalMart the other day. I agree, I think it would be perfect for the truck. Then when we make too much for one meal we could seal the leftovers and wait a few days to eat the meal again.

Thanks so much for sharing all this. I know that was a lot of work to write it up after you did all the planning, cooking, and sealing. We appreciate your input!!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is one heck of a menu! We have the sealer at home and it really is awesome for storage. At home I usually make enough to have left overs and then just seal that up and add it to the truck when we are ready to leave.

Sure like the looks of your menu though...

Great job.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My cooking skills revolve around open, heat, eat. That is impressive though.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
First, I am mucho impressed. Sounds like some good eating in the Chefdennis truck. Secondly, a question. If I got this right, you use the sealer to put away your cooked goods. I have a 4.3 cu ft GE refrigerator freezer and a microwave in my truck. I have been going with frozen veggies, frozen fruits, and lean cuisine entrees, but the home cooked stuff sounds at least as good. You say you can keep the cooked stuff up to 10 days. Do you freeze it first or do you just put it in the refrigerator?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok Dreammaker, 1st when you cook then seal it you are removing as much moisture as possible. This isn
t the same as is done in a commerical setting where they do complete oxygen depletion, you are just getting to as close as a vacuum as you can. Vacuum sealer food stays fresh unfrozen for up to 10 days, after that depending on the item, you may see a drop off in quality, but you really need to be intune to your cooking to notice it, that avg person won't. I always tell my clients to freeze anything they will not eat in 7-10 day.

If you freeze food that is vac sealed, just make sure it is cooled down before you freeze it. 1st, sealing hot food will not get a good vacuum and 2nd, if you put hot food in your freezier, you are working your freeizer to the max and you can also flaw any food close to the hot food to a small degree, but enough to strat the growth of pathogens, the start of food poisoning....not good.....just ,ake sure the food is cooled down before you freeze it and its not and issue. Vac sealed food that is frozen will taste fresh for 30 days with no problem at all.

Oh and one thing you can enjoy when you are eating home cooked meals instead of those "lean cusine? meal, is you won't be getting all of the dyes, food coloring , preservatives, and all of the other things that the government makes the manufacture use.....if you seen the list of stuff in those things, you'd think twice........

But i do have to tell you, i still have a soft spot for 1 or 2 swanson TV dinners from time to time!!!!:D

One other thing too.....nothing in that above menu is beyond anyone that can cook, yea i am trained, but some of the best cooks i know have never stepped in a cukinary school or a commerical kitchen......recipes are ade to follow and improve upon when you feel the need to, try things, make mistakes (i still do dang near everytine i cook) and ruin stuff too...its all part of it...cooking is my stress release, at one time it was my passion, I still love it and have been fortunate enough to beable to pass that passion on to one of my kids, he too is a chef, but it doesn't have to be a passion to let you just enjoy a good meal or watch the smiles spread across your friends and guest faces as they taste and enjoy that meal you cooked.....it is great for the ego!!!!:D

Every recipe i have is available to anyone who ask, just ask....

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Great post Chef. I bet your van is the going to be the easiest one to spot because everyone will be visiting you. :D
Will you be heading to the Expo? We'll be cooking and there are never too many cooks as long as there's room on the grill, or the George Foreman, or the rice cooker, or the Rocket, or the Highway 101. Numm-numm. I can feel my belly swelling already. :eek:

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I couldn't live without our food sealer. We grill out about once a week or once every two weeks and seal up the meat in individual servings. Usually only chicken as we don't eat red meat but once a week at most. We don't eat out a single bit, and pretty much have went all natural. No preservatives and additives. Fruits and steamed or roasted vegetables with sea salt, cracked black pepper and olive oil. Plain organic yogurt sweetened with fruit and honey, flaxseed and wheat germ is one of our favorite snacks.

It's made such a difference just pulling out a meal and heating it. We bought a covection/toaster oven because we don't use microwaves either. I love that thing, gonna try out the rotisserrie this weekend I think. I also make homemade whole wheat blueberry waffles and muffins that I freeze for later use. I have a whole little kitchen going on in this truck. You have to....living away from home. It's the only way!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i to like to cook, alot, alot, alot. we started the somewhat healthy diet some time ago after not being able to get ring off our fingers one shower day. looked at what we ate the night before and had a heart attack. look at the amt. of sodium in everything that is premade. it is friggin unbelievable, a whole days worth in one meal, let alone all the other stuff. i do about 5 different styles of wings on the grill, mexican ravioli, sheperds pie, grd. burger for tacos, bur, salads same w/chicken. pulled pork bbq and ribs or pork loin. home made breakfast biscuits, egg and cheese, sausage, bacon, ham{ low sodium} pancakes, waffles,fr. toast. corn bread casserole, apple stuffed pork chops, 6 cheese stuffed meatloaf, goulash, mexican and italian lasagna, jambalya, the list goes on and on. like dennis says, almost anything can be cooked and taken w/you and refrigerated or frozen with a little common sense. pasta needs to be cooked aldente or in the trk. cover it well in the micro to keep in the moisture. burgers on the grill do very well being frozen and heated in the micro. nothing like food you cook at home ready to eat in the truck in minutes. on the healthy side or helpful side, any ladies suffering the dreaded hot flashes or looking forwards to it being over as my wife is, try soy milk. it has done wonders for tinas, shoot i even think it has helped mine.LOL i will try to post some recipes also. 3 cherries or 3 ounces of nat. juice a day will keep you in check

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
At the end of last year Bob found out he had higher then normal cholesterol. Slapped in the face with reality of the high cholesterol, weight slowly going up, lack of energy it was time to change some habits.

I have since started reading nutritional books, looking for cholesterol friendly recipes, and adding fresh fruit to our diet. When Bob went back in for his checkup his weight had dropped and his cholesterol level had dropped. I have starting cooking from scratch while we are in the truck and at home freezing left overs. Very seldom do we eat at restaurants which has helped our wallet and our middles.

We have also started being more conscious of exercise. I walk more then I have for years and our truck looks really good with the extra effort Bob puts into it.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Ok as i said in a previous post, one of my businesses is a "personal chef" service...in that business i do an indepth onterview with the client to determeine the food likes, dislikes, and diet or medical restrictions and any special recipes that like. I then use that info to plan the menu that i will cook for then. That menu can be enough food to allow the client to feed whatever size family they have for as few as 3 days or up to 2 weeks....just depends on the clients needs.

Anyhow the reason i bring this up is that this is what i do for myself when i am at home and out of service. I have been Out Of Service since last sunday and will go back in service this coming monday. So yesterday i did menu planning, went grocery shopping today and cooked this afternoon and will finish tomorrow afternoon.

I thought I'd put the menu up here so you can get an idea of some of the things that can be cooked ahead of time, vacuum sealed and ate within a 28 day period.

I planned and cooked recipe to feed 2 people for 10 days. That is a total of 20 meals...I will eat everything twice...I seal everything seperate if there are sperate items such as a starch, veggie and protein. That way while i planned the menu one way, i can always mix and match items as i go instead of always following the planned menu. When there is a "casserole" or "crockpot" type meal, they will normally have all 3 food classes within on "pot" so the whole meal is sealed together.

So with that here is the menu i will have for the next 21 days...
Oh, i still eat out a few times a week and do the fast food deal also....so you can still get smoe variety...

(1) Italian Sausage, potato, onion and bell pepper Pan Fry...a simple meal with boiled petite redskin taters, red and green bell peppers and onions sauted in Italian salad dressing and olive oil and served with fresh Italian Sausage

(2) Smoked Babyback ribs and vinegar slaw...

(3) Apricot & Pork Stew...Pork loin chops cut into pieces cooked browned in red pepper infused olive oil, then a mixture of diced potatoes, celery, carrots and green beans along with Apicot juam and chopped dried apricots....mmmmm good

(4) Apple Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and sweet corn cut from the cob and pan fried. A 6 oz meatloaf made with grated carrot, diced onion, and diced granny smith apples...glazed with picante sauce...the corn is cut from the cob, the cobs scrapped to get all of the natural sugars from the pulp then it is pan fried in an iron skillet with diced red peppers and olive oil

(5) Grilled Pesto /stuffed Chicken Breast, Brown Rice with golden raisins , and fresh green beans steamed in chicken broth

A boneless skinless plump chicken breast sliced at the center line to form a pocket..make your own or buy a good quality pesto... i like to make mine with fresh basil, garlic, olive oil and mac nuts....fill the pocket with the pesto, and grill on a George Foreman....Brown rice is made in a $6 ricer/steamer from walmart, raisins are cooked right along with the rice. The same $6 steamer does the fresh green beans,,for a really tasty treat, once the beans are done and plated, splash them with a good quality Balsamic vinegar.

(6) LOL, this one is a old fav of mine from when i was a kid growing up poor..We called it "Shipwreck" Sliced potatoes, fresh green beans and browned ground beef, layer it in a cassorle dish and bake it...add whatever spices you like to add some flavor, i use cumin...

(7) Caliente Pot Roast A Mexican "style" slow cooker pot roast. Sear a 2lb pot roast in a cup of coffee on all sides. Remove asnd drain coffee add 1 cup of red wine ( advise, always, and only cook with a wine that you would drink! No reason to use a wine that you don't like to flavor the food you are cooking, and thise socalled "cooking wines", are garbage..) Now add sliced mushrooms and a chopped bunch of cilantro and 12 ozs of picante sauce, add all of this to a crockpot and set it on high for about 6-7 hours or until the roast can be easily pulled apart with a fork. At this point add 3 quartered roma tomatoes and cook for 15 more mintues.

(8) This one was a recipe from a renal client that i cooked very meal he and his wife ate foe 18 months, breakfest lunch and dinner... luckily his kids had it good in the work a day work, because they paid me dearly.

Shrimp and White Bean Ragout This is really juat simple seafood stew made with shrimp and creole spices and alot of diced fresh veggies.

(9) Chipotle Mac and cheese... I love good homemade Mac and Cheese and it needs at least 3 different cheeses to be good, but this one also add 7 ozs. of canned Chipotle peppers, you have to like it hot!! MMM good....3 cheeses pecorino, mozzarrilla, and parmesan green onions and diced mild green chili peppers....oh and dijon mustard is added to the milk and flour sauce, mmmmmm good!

(10) ok this one, chances are if you ever see me early in my turn back in service, i will probably have this meal. I buy it from a friends hot dog/chili joint in toledo..."Toledo style Chili Mac..." i have been eating it a few times a month since i was old enough to go out and buy it myself, i love this stuff, while i can make it and it is pretty darn close, its never as good as "jims".. A simple highly spiced meat sauce, served over spaghetti noodles and covered in pinto beans...a handful of onions if you so desire and also some shredded colby jack cheese.....for me, just meat, beans!!

So there you have it... most of the time i will eat 1 one those meals a day for dinner if i am sitting, if i am really bored, ill eat 2 of the a day.....

One other thing some of you might what to think about... i think it is Reynolds makes a battery powered hand held vaccum sealer. It takes their special bags, but what it does do is lets you buy a dinner that you really enjoyed and get it "to go"...take it out to the truck and vaccum seal it, those it in the frig and you are set to go!!!!

If anyone wants any of the recipes for any of the above, just ask......

OH!!! I forgot 1, i have a recipe that i got from another personal chef from cinncy ohio. She was from a large Italian famliy that her dad and his brother came to this country in the 50's. They did very well snd they brought their parents here. Well Grandma was a rather frugal lady and even while the sons did well she wouldn't over indulge. This is one of my friends favorite recipes form her gramdma and it is sooo simple and easy and sooo full of flavor!!

We call it "Grandmas italian beef, pork and onion stew"....thats was all that grandma use , well she used butter to brown the meats and to saute the onions and 2 crushed roma tomatoes.... Becak made a few changes, but nothing big. She uses tomato paste instead of whole crushed tomatoes, she also adds fresh italian herbs and some lemon grass...thats it....eveything is to taste, nothing over the top and the flavors make your mouth water....mmmm good!

O my lady, sure beats Stoffers in my microwave, but then again im n a one ton cargo van, u made me hungry just reading what u cook,,if i see u out there,,im coming over for supper,,Skyraider....................lol

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
skyraider wrote:

but then again im n a one ton cargo van

So am I....took the pass seat out and in went a frig , microwave , dvd/vhs player, direct TV box, ditigal conversion box, TV and storage for a few books....

Oh and Chef Dennis is a guy!! lol...but ill take the fact that the menu made you hungry as a compliment!! :D