What if there were no....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What if there were no fleet owners, no fleets...

in your best guess...would we single owner operators be better off without fleets? or worse off....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Interesting question!

My very first thought is we would be worse off. I'm remembering how Diane and I entered the business -- as drivers of a fleet owner's truck. Without such an opportunity we might never have entered and learned the business at all.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting question!

My very first thought is we would be worse off. I'm remembering how Diane and I entered the business -- as drivers of a fleet owner's truck. Without such an opportunity we might never have entered and learned the business at all.

Might never have, is debatable....you had all the information you needed up to a point without actually getting behind the wheel for first hand knowledge...I suspect you still would have taken the plunge....

So...do we really need these diving boards?

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Might never have, is debatable....you had all the information you needed up to a point without actually getting behind the wheel for first hand knowledge...I suspect you still would have taken the plunge....

So...do we really need these diving boards?

I would have never "taken the plunge" if I had to buy a truck to start. You can read all you want but you will never KNOW if you can handle the lifestyle. Far too many have bought trucks and learned within a few months that they cannot handle this. Then they are stuck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have never "taken the plunge" if I had to buy a truck to start. You can read all you want but you will never KNOW if you can handle the lifestyle. Far too many have bought trucks and learned within a few months that they cannot handle this. Then they are stuck.

Maybe that would be a good thing....not saying anything personal....But this takes commitment and stick to itness...Maybe there would not be so many in this business and no swamp of trucks...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suppose for the bigger trucks, fleets are a starting point for a lot of folks, just to test the waters...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe that would be a good thing....not saying anything personal....But this takes commitment and stick to itness...Maybe there would not be so many in this business and no swamp of trucks...

We have been in this for 6 years now. The ONLY thing I have ever done for a longer time was my intell career. Seems to commitment and stick to itness too me.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I see a need for fleet owners, they help keep people that don't understand the business from jumping in and failing right away. The more successful people we have the stronger the industry is.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter

We just talked this through and do not agree. As people who had never driven a truck before, we had the information from good research but no idea whether we would like the business or be good at it. Spending a ton of money on a truck to find out would have been too great of a risk to take and we would have stayed in the white-collar jobs we then had.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Most people who enter the business new do so not as drivers of fleet owner trucks but as owner-operators. If you allowed only owner-operators to enter the business and banned all fleet owners, the carriers would adjust their recruiting practices and the flow of new people would continue. The same used truck would likely change hands many times as people cycle through.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Is the 'swamp of trucks' due to the fleet owners? Or the carriers who add units they can't keep busy?
Fleet owners are a positive part of the business - [the good ones, anyway], and may even have the leverage to effect some changes that benefit all drivers, someday.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet owners aside from training the new expedite driver, also provide a welcome service to the older driver. All of my drivers are older and simply dont want to go through the bs of owning a truck. They feel that in this stage of their career, the investment in a truck may not be wise, due to health and time considerations.

It makes little financial sense to sign up for a 4,5, or 6 year payment when you are uncertain you will be willing and able to continue on the road. They have the opportunity to decide when they have had enough, without worring about disposing of a depreciated asset.

And to be honest right now due to the low rates and high costs of maintaining a truck, i think they get the better deal. :D

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I like a mix. Sort of like having a mix of hobby drivers, who stay close to home, and those fulltime extremists who do it for a living and stay out and follow the freight. In the mix for fleet owners and single owners, fleets provide a general bulk of vehicles, and single owners provide an experience level that comes from individuals, who are invested that one extra degree through ownership. And just like fleet size, the fleet mix should be managed to keep from being too heavy one way or the other. I would also guess that there would be more detriment to heavy fleet than heavy single owner.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some good feedback here and angles I hadn't thought of...

So there is a consensus that the fleet owner has a beneficial use..to new and older drivers alike...

Good news for once for the fleet owner...that we seem to be ripping apart in here...:)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Some good feedback here and angles I hadn't thought of...

So there is a consensus that the fleet owner has a beneficial use..to new and older drivers alike...

Good news for once for the fleet owner...that we seem to be ripping apart in here...:)

Just the dishonest scumbag fleet owners.....[and we do the same for the dishonest scumbag drivers, too.] ;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I probably would have answered this a little differently ten years ago. Times change, and so has this business.
Testing the waters with minimal investment, age, health, and a host of other items have been there for quite some time.

What has changed is a continual downward pressure on rates, how carriers operate, and higher operating costs. Have to remember that most carriers are operating at rates from ten years ago yet the costs to operate are rising. Good used trucks are disappearing and new ones are getting pricey. Priced a new truck lately? Nasty and quite frankly, not too reliable with the EPA junk on them.

The good fleet owner that has a ample supply of trucks and finances can purchase the truck and many services much cheaper than a individual truck owner. Those services go from truck items, maintenance, insurance, financing, to the truck purchase price and beyond. The individual disaster of a wreck, health, or other things can be absorbed much easier with a fleet owner. Why? Continual cash flow that a single operator doesn't have access to.

Relationship with the carrier is another. Many fleet owners run at a higher rate than a single o/o. Sorry, but that is how it is. With less drivers and trucks available, only the fool fleet owner wouldn't leverage his trucks somewhere. Carriers aren't fools either, and adjust accordingly.

Lastly, in our case, I can look at traffic lanes, book freight, and a host of other things that a single truck couldn't do effectively. Bottom line, a driver can easily net much more than driving their own truck. See it time and time again. For folks that have been on EO for say 10 years or better, look who is still here. Might be a thought to ponder.

Good question though.

Last edited: