What happening with Panther???

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Monday one of my cargo van drivers had a 700 miles load. After 400 miles Panther stopped him for a transfer. Tuesday, same driver 1200 miles load, Panther stopped him after 350 miles for transfer. Today my other driver takes a 1200 miles load from Atlanta to Laredo, after 350 miles in Mississippi Panther stopped him for a transfer.
What is going on????
I called Panther but they just repeat like a parrot Safety, Safety. Both drivers are fast guys, 100% on time drivers. If you do a transfer lets make it at half distance at least....Both drivers are very unhappy with this situation, because Panther told them at orientation that from now on Panther will treat every driver with max respect....The point on cargo van is that YOU DO NOT NEED A LOG.When they offer the load they say nothing about transfer. The driver thinks that he has a long run and he wakes up with 3-400 miles.
Is it just Panther that does this, or do you know of any other companies doing the same?

alan15010

Seasoned Expediter
I was a o/o with Panther. this happened to me so many times, when I knew I had plenty of time to finish the Pro. I was with the cat since 2002, had 1 late drop off, in that period of time. I agreed with you, that driver should get at least half of the run, and should be told at the beginning that it would be transfered to another van. Also at the same pay rate. I know the driver that Zoli is talking about, he is my brother, also never late for a pick-up are drop off. I know first hand about a o/o who gets real long runs and his drivers almost never gets taken off loads. Its all about who you know.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When they offer the load they say nothing about transfer.

That is true. Once you accept the load the following disclaimer comes across the QC and is also sent as an e-mail.

Load may require a swap based on
meeting customer needs and to ensure
compliance with FMCSA regulations.
Rates will be changed accordingly.
Please contact dispatch with any
discrepancies. Please be safe.

Had your driver's clock been started prior to either of load offers you mentioned? Panther has a quasi rule: no driving after 16 hours on duty without a 5 hour break.

If your driver woke up at 10:00 a.m. and drove down the street to the Waffle Hut for breakfast, his clock probably started ticking. 4 hours later a load offer comes over leaving him with 12 hours for the day.

Two weeks ago I went 18 1/2 hours so it is not a rule that is strictly enforced. Use your time wisely and always walk to the Waffle Hut.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
That is true. Once you accept the load the following disclaimer comes across the QC and is also sent as an e-mail.

Load may require a swap based on
meeting customer needs and to ensure
compliance with FMCSA regulations.
Rates will be changed accordingly.
Please contact dispatch with any
discrepancies. Please be safe.

Had your driver's clock been started prior to either of load offers you mentioned? Panther has a quasi rule: no driving after 16 hours on duty without a 5 hour break.

If your driver woke up at 10:00 a.m. and drove down the street to the Waffle Hut for breakfast, his clock probably started ticking. 4 hours later a load offer comes over leaving him with 12 hours for the day.

Two weeks ago I went 18 1/2 hours so it is not a rule that is strictly enforced. Use your time wisely and always walk to the Waffle Hut.

Yes Moot this is true but there is no FMCSA rule for cargo vans under 10,000 pounds.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
from moot:

I have heard that in some instances the clock starts f you move across the parking lot to get the sun out of your face...i believe moot for sure and all i can say is , what a bunch of b/s, especially when it isn't enforced when it works against the company... no one to transfer the load to in a certain area, keep the driver moving!!!

guido4475

Not a Member
I used to work for a company that was based out of N.C., by greensboro, that did the same excact thing.I think it is not about safety, but trying to spread the loads around so everyone makes a little money.And I dont buy the fmcsa regulations for an excuse to transfer a load off of a cargo van..just like panther art said, and is 110% correct, it is a cargo van, under 10,000 gvw

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I dont buy the fmcsa regulations for an excuse to transfer a load off of a cargo van..just like panther art said, and is 110% correct, it is a cargo van, under 10,000 gvw

Panther's disclaimer message is generic. Instead of sending out several different messages to cover vans, team vans, F.M.C.S.A. trucks solo and team, Panther sends out one cover-all message.

I personally don't have a problem with swapping a load. But I do have a problem with not knowing when I accept a load whether:

a) is it going to swap
b) where is it going to swap

To me hauling a load is like running a marathon. Although I have never run a marathon. I do have some friends who knew some people that had relatives that ran marathons. But this was years ago.

When I accept a load I like to know where I'm going. If I need to swap fine. But tell me up front where and when. I don't always (mostly hardly ever) followed the suggested route. More than once I have taken the shortest, fastest route only to be told later, much later that I was swapping and the swap point wasn't on my route.

I understand that Panther doesn't have the facilities that I am accustomed to (Con-Way with terminals nation wide) and there seems to be a multi-layer deal going on here with customer service, dispatch, safety and the S.W.A.P. D.E.P.T.

I think there is some law of physics that deals with the degradation of communication: communication x communicants divided by 273 or a number > total number of communicants - 1000 = mass confusion.

Swaps are part of the job. Learn to live with and use them to your advantage.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Fedup usta pull that crap. When they supprised me with a swap, i'd jes tell em yep, be happy to, only we are going to swap somewhere at the 75% mile mark, steada the 35% mile mark. It' harder for them to find a unit to take 25% of the miles versus 70%. Stand your ground, or like Moot, travel off route, and supprise them back.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I don't have any problem transfering a load. But when they ofering you a load you have to know the miles ,the rate per miles and the f.s. How can you make a good business decision if you count 1200 miles and after 4 hours they send you a message that your miles are just 350????TriState for example , tell you from the begining if is a swap and your part from the total miles.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
In the yr i have been doing this, i have transfered a load one time, when i had a breakdown on the road, and i called for it...i have never been asked to transfer a load i had in my truck...i have picked up a load from a transfer, that driver had a family emergency...other then that kind of situation, i haven't been asked or told i was transferring anything.....

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Today was my maiden voyage in a cargo van, I have driven straight trucks for Panther prior to today. I am the one who had their run from GA to Loredo stopped in Meredian, MS. A good 800 mile short of what was offered. In the initial offer Panther said it was a "HOT" load and had to be there on time. I agreed and vowed to mysef to make it happen on time. It was discounted to 70 cents with only 8 cents f.S. I took the load based on the milage offered. Needless to say I was most P.O.'d when after 4 hours the QC message came to give up the load. To make the swap meet at the time and place Panther stated I had to drive 150 miles on a slow (25 to 55 mph) two lane pig path across lower AL Bottom line: THIS SUCKS!!! How do I get in touch with the driver council Rep?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whats the beef here? Are you guys new? this has been going on for quite awhile...you are making it out like it is new...it is old news......carriers are CYA and theirs on this for liability reasons they say...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whats the beef here? Are you guys new? this has been going on for quite awhile...you are making it out like it is new...it is old news......carriers are CYA and theirs on this for liability reasons they say...

I agree this type of thing happens because of the carriers insurance company and lawyers. If a company doesn't do it yet they will as they grow or after they pay out a huge settlement.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I agree this type of thing happens because of the carriers insurance company and lawyers. If a company doesn't do it yet they will as they grow or after they pay out a huge settlement.
To pull a swap is fine if it is made known with the offer. It is bait and switch to do it after pickup. Soooo, how do I contact the driver council rep?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya gotta remember a dispatchers hour consists of 50 minutes no matter how fast you go....1200 miles is 24hrs straight thru..thats not even counting the time spent making the pick-up...IF in an accident and the other party's lawyer investigated..you and the carrier are in deep do-do...

That said sometimes they are not consistent..I call it the "flex rule" when it suits them.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To pull a swap is fine if it is made known with the offer. It is bait and switch to do it after pickup. Soooo, how do I contact the driver council rep?

You can do it I via the drivrs web if it will make you feel better to vent a little. Sorry but other than that it will acomplish nothing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
since your QC tells you it maybe subject to swap you were informed....and anything over your 16 hours, unless it is over the weekend as in pick on Friday and deliver Monday...you should expect it to swap.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
You can do it I via the drivrs web if it will make you feel better to vent a little. Sorry but other than that it will acomplish nothing.
So if venting (the act of releasing undesirable air) is all that is accomplished by the council, why do they even have one?