What happened to VOI?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably Shelly from CIS had to much work verifying all the insurances plus a lot of companies has insurances thru other agencies. I guess she did not like that...

If you think there is ever to much work for Shelley then you obviously don't know her at all. She and John and their staff are some of the hardest working people a lot of us out here know.

As far as not liking people having other insurance carriers, the only thing not liked about that for them is when they hear of the issues some had with said other insurance carriers or the inadequate coverage they gave them. These folks are the best at what they do !!!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You clearly believe I and trust your carrier. Murray has more than seen the value of TEANA over the years and has worked for a member company. It is his responsibility to guide his carriers ship. He has stated his opinion.
Sorry, I didn't spend much time on here yesterday.

My opinion, for what little it's worth.
TEANA was founded as a non-profit organization to help carriers and brokers find carriers and brokers that are not back-selling scum. And to create a group of more ethical businesses that can patronize each other without worrying about losing business.
Along with that, as TEANA morphed, came the great concerns in the expedite industry that there is major risk to not only customer freight being covered in an accident, but also every entity that "touches" a load (from top to bottom) being at risk in the event of a catastrophic accident.
We've all seen or heard of the fatal accidents where 7-figure lawsuits are just the STARTING point.
Helping to make sure carriers are properly assured helps to protect the health of ALL the companies involved.
There are other benefits to being a TEANA member, and yes, I was ops manager at a member company for 9 years.
Procrastination is about all that has slowed our application. That and now the sale and purchase of our current and future home.
But soon, I feel.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

TEANA was founded as a non-profit organization to help carriers and brokers find carriers and brokers that are not back-selling scum. And to create a group of more ethical businesses that can patronize each other without worrying about losing business.
Along with that, as TEANA morphed, came the great concerns in the expedite industry that there is major risk to not only customer freight being covered in an accident, but also every entity that "touches" a load (from top to bottom) being at risk in the event of a catastrophic accident.
We've all seen or heard of the fatal accidents where 7-figure lawsuits are just the STARTING point.
Helping to make sure carriers are properly assured helps to protect the health of ALL the companies involved.
There are other benefits to being a TEANA member, and yes, I was ops manager at a member company for 9 years.
Procrastination is about all that has slowed our application. That and now the sale and purchase of our current and future home.
But soon, I feel.

Sooo, you are joining a union? :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
See Dave when trying to be a smart butt you should have a dictionary so you don't look too outstanding... :p
Union as per dictionary:
A number of persons ...Joined or associated together for a common cause/ purpose....
The police association
Fire mans association also known as unions.....

AARP an association for old folks to band together for a common purpose

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you think there is ever to much work for Shelley then you obviously don't know her at all. She and John and their staff are some of the hardest working people a lot of us out here know.

As far as not liking people having other insurance carriers, the only thing not liked about that for them is when they hear of the issues some had with said other insurance carriers or the inadequate coverage they gave them. These folks are the best at what they do !!!!
Exactly where my policy lies... With CIS and Shelley and group....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

But soon, I feel.
I support Murray 100%.... :)
TEANNA is a good organization for this industry ... We need a lobby group looking out for this unique thing we do...,

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
so I guess that if brokers that use RGIS and OIVS, and maybe are not members of TEANA and VOI, then these brokers who may or may not have the initials of a Bolt, Panther, XPO, CHR, Landstar, Active Aero, Fastexact, Tri-States, Menlo, Penske, Fedex, UPS,....then these types of brokers with these types of initials would be part of the problem? these guys that make up about 99% of the business....boy, take those guys out of the pic, and the VOI guys have no competition...I hope VOI can get its act together, just saying.

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
I can tell you that Bolt is a big part of the solution, they were one of the first companies that I know of to really screen carriers hard.

The rest of them, well...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I can tell you that Bolt is a big part of the solution, they were one of the first companies that I know of to really screen carriers hard.

The rest of them, well...

I second that, Jim! They cut a lot of carriers off quick and early. That was, what seemed like, the beginnings of waves of action. Certainly flipped US onto the right page QUICK!!

As did L1, ETA, and a couple others that were right there in the same arena about that same time as our renewal)

Last edited:

mdpettrey

Seasoned Expediter
And so as I said before the insurance scam is basically only adding $.06-$.07 a mile to the cost of a load so you make them all legal I so now they run for $.67 and that will solve all your problems

I have personally spoken with 3 well known carriers that are not or were not operating under the correct insurance model and they all told me when they were quoted with the correct insurance they "would never be able to afford it". So instead they do the wrong thing and operate with the incorrect coverage's. So it's not about the .6 or .7 per mile it's really about how they wouldn't even be in business operating several thousand units....and this is what really hurts our industry. It's not about putting people out of business, but If you can't do it right then don't do it at all.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do you feel sorry if it puts people out of business? It should be about that if it is truly so bad. I don't believe it though how are others able to stay in business with the right coverage? Those businesses allegedly operating with several thousand units who can't afford proper insurance deserve to go under. They are part of your problem with excess capacity and cold as it may be there needs to be a correction. Actually needs to be one in all segments. I don't feel sorry for any of my competitors struggling. The sooner they go under the sooner those of us left can get back to banking good money again.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does anyone have any links to actual court cases where shippers were liable when a carrier had an accident?

I know the blood sucking lawyers will sue anyone with money, I really don't see how they could find a shipper liable, unless they did something negligent, like lie about weight, a hazmat shipment that was not packaged/labeled right or something like that. Just shipping something by way of a common carrier should relieve the shipper of any liability.

If they have found shippers liable, well that might be a good thing for the carriers that do follow the law and are insured correctly, but in the end, only the lawyers win, we all lose, especially the people who are injured, I bet these huge judgements rarely make it to the actual injured parties.

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have personally spoken with 3 well known carriers that are not or were not operating under the correct insurance model and they all told me when they were quoted with the correct insurance they "would never be able to afford it". So instead they do the wrong thing and operate with the incorrect coverage's. So it's not about the .6 or .7 per mile it's really about how they wouldn't even be in business operating several thousand units....and this is what really hurts our industry. It's not about putting people out of business, but If you can't do it right then don't do it at all.
I am talking a unit like myself on with a Carrier the cost in my case is sn extra 2.7 cents a mile to be PROPERLY insured.... That's assuming a 100,000 mile year there is absurdly NO reason not to be properly insured...
You do the math
100,000 miles say a policy at $7,000 would be an extra .07 cents per mile

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Btw.... The term " never be able to afford it"? What $$$$ are we talking? Most I know are between 5-7,000 per year depending on record and vehicle That is NOT a lot of money

If you can't afford the entry fee then you shouldn't be in this business! Too many now in the game that should not be....

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Btw.... The term " never be able to afford it"? What $$$$ are we talking? Most I know are between 5-7,000 per year depending on record and vehicle That is NOT a lot of money

If you can't afford the entry fee then you shouldn't be in this business! Too many now in the game that should not be....

Exactly what many of us say about these carriers. They don't have the funds for proper insurance. Then you see them in an EO thread..."Is anyone from XXX carrier getting paid" then they are gone and owner operators don't get paid.....

Repeat.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly what many of us say about these carriers. They don't have the funds for proper insurance. Then you see them in an EO thread..."Is anyone from XXX carrier getting paid" then they are gone and owner operators don't get paid.....

Repeat.
One good thing comes from it...much lower tax responsibility! its a big deduction I never had before that keeps me from rounding up all my ice receipts!! LOL