What happened to VOI?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
You clearly believe I and trust your carrier. Murray has more than seen the value of TEANA over the years and has worked for a member company. It is his responsibility to guide his carriers ship. He has stated his opinion.

Reactions: sbarrett

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And so as I said before the insurance scam is basically only adding $.06-$.07 a mile to the cost of a load so you make them all legal I so now they run for $.67 and that will solve all your problems
So you're ok with making thousands less to stay competitive with those breaking the law. I'm not. And who said it will solve all the problems? It's one problem, and seems to be trying to be dealt with as such.
Not everything is an absolute.

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
And so as I said before the insurance scam is basically only adding $.06-$.07 a mile to the cost of a load so you make them all legal I so now they run for $.67 and that will solve all your problems
Not sure you get what TEANA and the VOI program is trying to accomplish. I know you've been doing this for awhile and you know what your bottom line is, but it's not just about a replacement cost of your vehicle (or lack there of).
You also don't understand the huge liability it puts on the broker and the shipper. It's not just about bottom line line haul rates.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So you're ok with making thousands less to stay competitive with those breaking the law. I'm not. And who said it will solve all the problems? It's one problem, and seems to be trying to be dealt with as such.
Not everything is an absolute.
Well there is absolute vodka:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure you get what TEANA and the VOI program is trying to accomplish. I know you've been doing this for awhile and you know what your bottom line is, but it's not just about a replacement cost of your vehicle (or lack there of).
You also don't understand the huge liability it puts on the broker and the shipper. It's not just about bottom line line haul rates.
Let's really put the blame where it belongs on you for letting brokers get away with murder or should I say robberyand brokerthe system

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Steve I think you may have we may have gotten off track I do support what Teanna is trying to do.... what I don't agree with if it is true is the pay our fee join our group and you will get our loads...sounds like something right out of a Jimmy Hoffa story

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
what I don't agree with if it is true is the pay our fee join our group and you will get our loads...sounds like something right out of a Jimmy Hoffa story
No, not Jimmy Hoffa. We're back to AAA. Pay the AAA fee and become a member and if you break down you can get a tow from one of their trusted, AAA-approved towing companies, for free, or you can choose to not become a member and get your tow without AAA's help or endorsement, and it will probably cost you more to do so.

It you want AAA's benefits, you gotta be a member. If you want TEANA's benefits, you gotta be a member. Same with OOIDA, AARP, etc.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Nothing wrong with a trade organization promoting the use of compliant and legal carriers. If they can offer a vetting program of their members to the benefit of the shipping community that makes sense. Is it their responsibility to vet the non members??? Educating the shipping public and showing the risks of using non compliant carriers is a good thing. A carrier has the right and choice to join and take part. Most small carriers can save more then the cost of their dues with the discounts and other member benefits.

Is it the ASE's responsibility to certify every mechanic? Nope, the shop and the mechanics choose to get the certification. Do shops advertise and promote they have ASE mechanics? Anything wrong with that? The consumer makes the choice to look for the certification or not. Our consumers are shippers it's really simple. It happens in tons of industries everyday.

Reactions: westmicher

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd like to see what the new VOI program is going to look like. I know there are already insurance monitoring companies out there who will send you an alert whenever one of the carriers in your network makes a change to their insurance policy. They do this by monitoring safer web. Once a carrier's insurance is pending cancellation on safer web, or that trucking company has their operating authority revoked, this one monitoring company will alert the broker of what is going on. The problem with the multi-carrier drivers is that they do not have to obtain an MC number which makes it inherently harder to keep track of their insurance. But it all boils down to due diligence. Carriers just need to keep track of their drivers insurance policies. That is not a very hard thing to do.

With all of this talk about shippers and brokers being held liable for accidents. Why are these same shippers and brokers putting loads on cargo vans 1000 miles deliver direct? Why do they run cargo van drivers into the ground simply because there are no official rules of service governing cargo vans? If I run a 1000 mile load deliver direct and get into an accident, will the broker and shipper who pushed me to run the load be held liable in the event of a lawsuit? This kind of argument goes way beyond carrying proper liability and cargo insurance. I wonder how many insurance agents understand that cargo van drivers do not take DOT breaks?

When I ran my carrier, I always verified my drivers insurance. I would only accept their insurance certificate from their actual insurance agent. I would also get faxes and emails when drivers would fail to pay their premiums. I would simply put those drivers out of service. That is all that needs to be done. You just need a competent CEO running the carrier and managing all of the paperwork! Some of you guys are trying to complicate a very simple issue.

Here is a link to just one carrier insurance monitoring company - there are more companies that do this:

http://www.registrymonitoring.com/CarrierInsuranceMonitoringServices

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjtdrv4u

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
A shipper or carrier broker such as Load One can and does use services like this to monitor a carriers insurance that they are named on. The problem is that the insurance is not the policy that is the primary coverage for the vehicle hauling the load in the case of a muti. So the shipper/carrier/broker is not a named party, they have no contract to the shipper and they have no way of seeing coverage. If they can't see it they don't know the limits or if it is proper coverage and they have no way of monitoring it. Thus why VOI was developed.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I really think this very issue has been discussed and explained numerous times. I think some people just choose to fight for the sake of arguing. You can work to be part of the solution as TEANA and its members are trying or be part of the problem.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I run a 1000 mile load deliver direct and get into an accident, will the broker and shipper who pushed me to run the load be held liable in the event of a lawsuit?
Pushed you? Is this a forced dispatch situation, or did you accept the load knowing the parameters of the load contract?

If the customer needs freight shipped 1000 miles direct, they couldn't care less whether it's delivered by a solo or a team, or how many miles deadhead the driver has to go get it, or anything else other than getting their freight delivered on time. You accept that load, it's on you to fulfill the contract.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Pushed you? Is this a forced dispatch situation, or did you accept the load knowing the parameters of the load contract?

If the customer needs freight shipped 1000 miles direct, they couldn't care less whether it's delivered by a solo or a team, or how many miles deadhead the driver has to go get it, or anything else other than getting their freight delivered on time. You accept that load, it's on you to fulfill the contract.

Then what good does it do you to have all of the proper insurance when you are running a 1000 mile deliver direct load and get into an accident? You're still going to lose in court for driving too many hours. If we're going to clean up the industry and make everyone legit, lets start by not allowing drivers to driver tired, and let's stop overloading sprinter vans and box trucks. Lets not just focus on one area of safety and compliance and make everyone safe and legal. I once ran 1300 miles direct with just a 30 minute break in between. I was safe and delivered fine, but what if I would have been involved in an accident and the lawyers found out that I drover for over 24 hours with a mere 30 minute break thrown in there? Accepting the load is one thing, but why would any carrier make their drivers run like that? I got that load from one of the top five expedite carriers. I'm not going to name names here, but that is just as bad as driving without any insurance. I'm pretty sure the broker and the shipper could have been brought into a lawsuit if anything would have happened. Why not educate the brokers and shippers on safe transit times when they ship out their freight? I have had dispatchers tell me that cargo van drivers don't need sleep. Lets reform the entire industry!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why not petition the DOT to make carriers carry a 100k bond in order to have O/O's working for them so that when they go under, their drivers can file on the bong and get some of their money back? Insurance is only a small part of what is going on in our industry. The expedite industry and the trucking industry is still like the wild west!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All I did was give my opinion on a certain post and someone else decided to challenge me on that.
I was merely defending my opinion which I am entitled to do ...as the other person was entitled to challenge me ...there was no argument just a difference of opinion. But you are correct I don't know why your buddy chose to argue one persons opinion ! I think he just likes to argue :p

The End...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Then what good does it do you to have all of the proper insurance when you are running a 1000 mile deliver direct load and get into an accident? You're still going to lose in court for driving too many hours.
If you're at fault you're going to lose no matter what. But you'll at least have all of the proper insurance.

If we're going to clean up the industry and make everyone legit, lets start by not allowing drivers to driver tired, and let's stop overloading sprinter vans and box trucks. Lets not just focus on one area of safety and compliance and make everyone safe and legal.
The topic at hand is the proper insurance, not a bunch of other topics designed to deflect the conversation away from insurance.

I once ran 1300 miles direct with just a 30 minute break in between. I was safe and delivered fine, but what if I would have been involved in an accident and the lawyers found out that I drover for over 24 hours with a mere 30 minute break thrown in there?
I'm guessing the lawyers would use that in their arguments to try and get a higher settlement or judgement.

Accepting the load is one thing, but why would any carrier make their drivers run like that?[/quote[Other than forced-dispatch carriers, they don't.

I got that load from one of the top five expedite carriers. I'm not going to name names here, but that is just as bad as driving without any insurance. I'm pretty sure the broker and the shipper could have been brought into a lawsuit if anything would have happened.
The only name worth mentioning is the one who accepted and ran the load. And no, driving long distances is not the same as driving without insurance.

Why not educate the brokers and shippers on safe transit times when they ship out their freight? I have had dispatchers tell me that cargo van drivers don't need sleep. Lets reform the entire industry!
Again, that's a different topic than the thread. It almost seems as if insurance has struck a chord with you and you are desperately trying to change the subject. But, in any case, brokers and shippers don't care about safe transit times beyond that of what a team truck can deliver. Safe transit times are not their job, getting freight picked up and delivered on time is all they're concerned with. How the carrier accomplishes that is up to the carrier. I have also heard dispatchers say that cargo van drivers don't need sleep. Maybe there's something to it, because I one had some cargo van driver tell me he once drove 1300 miles direct with just a 30 minute break in between. He claimed he was safe and delivered fine.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why not petition the DOT to make carriers carry a 100k bond in order to have O/O's working for them so that when they go under, their drivers can file on the bong and get some of their money back? Insurance is only a small part of what is going on in our industry. The expedite industry and the trucking industry is still like the wild west!
Why not start a new thread and as that question in there?

Reactions: jelliott

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All I did was give my opinion on a certain post and someone else decided to challenge me on that.
I was merely defending my opinion which I am entitled to do ...as the other person was entitled to challenge me ...there was no argument just a difference of opinion. But you are correct I don't know why your buddy chose to argue one persons opinion ! I think he just likes to argue :p

The End...
What's really funny is, you're ranting against VOI claiming it doesn't guarantee anything, is a farce, blackmail, yet in the same thread think TEANA should give it away to all without the pesky red tape of membership.

Not sure you get what TEANA and the VOI program is trying to accomplish.
sbarrett , he's afraid that TEANA will convince every expedite shipper and broker (or at least a good majority of them) to refuse to ship freight with carriers who are not VOI Certified. Thus the scenario is created whereby his carrier, despite having all of the correct and proper insurance, but cannot get VOI Certification because they aren't a TEANA member, cannot get loads because they cannot show the shipper their VOI Certificate.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

The End...

Maybe it's because you blamed him for the issues in a previous post like its all his fault !!!!

Regardless, what Teana is trying to do and what John & Shelley are trying to monitor is a good thing for the industry as a whole. Everything changes and sometimes we all have to change with it !!