What happened to VOI?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One good thing comes from it...much lower tax responsibility! its a big deduction I never had before that keeps me from rounding up all my ice receipts!! LOL

And being a law abiding citizen, I'm sure you add your Walmart parking lot income to your taxes.... Right?

Reactions: xiggi

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I am talking a unit like myself on with a Carrier the cost in my case is sn extra 2.7 cents a mile to be PROPERLY insured.... That's assuming a 100,000 mile year there is absurdly NO reason not to be properly insured...
You do the math
100,000 miles say a policy at $7,000 would be an extra .07 cents per mile

That being on top of we pay too, of course, for nearly "zero" additional miles. But hey, if one wants to play ball one has to step up to the plate.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
And being a law abiding citizen, I'm sure you add your Walmart parking lot income to your taxes.... Right?

I think "findings" at the rate of a few cents a day might have to reach $600 a year from one source before the IRS wants a 1099.
Not positive, though. I pay an accountant to know that sort of thing.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think "findings" at the rate of a few cents a day might have to reach $600 a year from one source before the IRS wants a 1099.
Not positive, though. I pay an accountant to know that sort of thing.

I got some supper glue now. He will not be picking one of my dollar seeds up.

Oh, $600? You never seen him on his parking lot run for the change. Easy goal.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
about time Turtle made his entrance and saying...and what does this have to do with VOI.....since he is the only working mod around here I notice....LOL

Reactions: Murraycroexp

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What I would like to know is how can VOI certify a company for having proper insurance when there is no real way to know what that carrier is doing once they obtain their certification? I could have ten units and have them all listed on my insurance, everything is kosher and I'm now accepted as a VOI carrier. How would anyone know the difference if I then added a few trucks who had their own insurance, but I did not list them on my companies truck count on safer web, nor do I add them to my truck count on Sylectus. How do you find a carriers hidden trucks? It's almost impossible to do. Even the larger carriers can have a few units in their truck counts that are running rogue. What it really boils down to is business ethics. You either have them or you don't have them. Some people should never be allowed to own and operate a business, especially those who have filed Bankruptcy in the past. Shady people will do shady things when they run businesses. Some are ignorant to the fact that they are doing things the wrong way, but most were just shady characters to begin with. How can some of these people go to sleep at night knowing they ripped off so many people? It's simple! They were crooks before they started their company.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The only real way to make sure a carrier is properly insured is to make them carry cargo contingency insurance, or to create a new coverage that covers a carrier in the event that one of their trucks is not properly insured. I don't see any other way to be 100 percent certain that any carrier is properly insured!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only real way to make sure a carrier is properly insured is to make them carry cargo contingency insurance, or to create a new coverage that covers a carrier in the event that one of their trucks is not properly insured. I don't see any other way to be 100 percent certain that any carrier is properly insured!
That would be like the uninsured motorist rider they have for autos now

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Contingency liability and cargo are for when a load is brokered. They don't cover loads run under the MC. VOI, will do spot audits on carriers. Yes, they have caught people cheating on applications numerous times. Larger carriers are generally not on unit specific policies and they pay based on mileage or revenue so they do not add or delete units the same way as a vin specific policy.

I spent a few hours yesterday with one of the major bid board management companies on this very topic. It is almost like the war on drugs or cyber hackers. They see how they are getting caught and they learn from that and morph again. It is incredibly frustrating as it damages our industry and every member of it except the few who are profiting from the fraud.