What ever happened to common courtesy????

prescat

Expert Expediter
Count me in to the camp with Jim, Turtle, (and Dreamer I think). Courtesy is stopping to let another driver out, or helping them back up or with directions or even stopping on a "nowhere" highway to make sure a disabled vehicle has help on the way. It also means not honking your horn for your co-driver to hurry up when you stop to grab a coffee at 3AM. As for someone pulling in and idling next to you.....at a truckstop...ANYWHERE AT THE TRUCKSTOP....hey, that's the business. (and as Jimm poits out they may have a reason for wanting to burn the fuel. It's not as comfortable as my bed at home, but its a lot of fun and it's part of the business. "I love the engine sounds of a truckstop..it sounds like victory"
(and I've been doing it for while)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i ran the road i had a secret weapon, that work real well
i snore very loud and the refer truck would move , and most of time i had a empty space on each side of me , and some of my friends would see empty spaces on each side of me and look at the truck number and say geo is here, and people who didn't know the truck would move as they could take nosie of me snoring, it was louder than truck motor running or the genset running or refer going, and my wife would say only time she got a good night sleep was when i was on the road and wasn't home sleeping, i have had this problem for ever
and i snore on my back , both sides, and stomack to

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Greg while he could have parked in a different spot he didn't. As for the high Idle it is less wear on the engine to idle at a higher RPM and doesn't use any more fuel. As for the original complaint in the Sun a tin box gets Hot. A truck Stop is a Truck Stop I suggest you park at a Camp ground for peace and quiet. or maybe in the middle of the woods. Oh but then the crickets would be making to much noise. I wish there was more parking spots for trucks. So drivers could get their sleep when they needed it but that isn't happing either. You as a sprinter can park anywere we can't.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just on the idle issue it is a tough one. If you go into a truck stop and expect silence, I would say that is ones first mistake. If in a van, park up where the cars are at. If it is mixed, I wouldn't park there knowing there is a chance someone might idle next to you.
It very well could be a RV with a generator. What does the truck do if he has a reefer? Does he park in the desert? What about a cattle hauler in a small truck stop or late at night with limited parking available? The reality is there is alot less parking for larger trucks than smaller vehicles.
It sounds like more common sense than a courtesy issue. If you want quiet, then avoid truck stops and park in a motel lot, rest areas, or Wal-mart.
There is no reason to complicate the simple.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave
Got to tell you, one night I was parked up where I was supposed to be (accroding to some) and feel asleep. about 5 AM I was dreaming I was back on the farm in PA getting the cows ready for the milk house. About 7 AM I woke up to moos and found that a cattle truck pulled in next to me in the middle of the night. Now many would b*tch about niose and smell but I just enjoyed because no one would park near it. Of course I moved up wind of the truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Gregg
Smart move.
I'm sure he would rather park away from a crowd, but parking limitations leave little choice sometimes.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My 2 cents,this is why I always find a Walmart,Kroger,Winn Dixie,Mejers and so on. I am a light sleep person and idleing keeps me awake but I realize that some that some folks have to idle.

late for dinner

Expert Expediter
I guess the signs that the J puts up that says no bob tails or box trucks in rv parking area don't mean anything unless you get towed, then i bet the drivers would say the sign was not up when he parked No one wants follow the rules anymore, do they

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am one who enjoys the sound of the trucks idling, it's the truck that comes to empty the dumpster at 5 am that p&$#%@s me off!
If you sleep better in quiet, get some kind of white noise generator, or earplugs, or a tape/cd player with soothing sounds, because trucks idling at a truck stop shoudn't be considered excessive noise. Sounding the air horn at ungodly hours is grounds for all out war, though! ;)

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Someone asked above about sleeping best in the truck. I am one that does. If you go back over time I have mentioned this before. But the engine sound and vibration put me out like a baby. It is also very good on my spine. My back always does best in there on that man made made message table. Lol

Raceman
OTR O/O

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
RE: RE%3A What ever happened to common courtesy%3F

With all due respect, I'd suggest that anyone who can't sleep near the sound of trucks running, shouldn't park in a truck stop - just as I don't try to sleep at the places that announce "shower number eleven thousand, eight hundred, & seventy nine is now ready" loudly, and often, because it keeps me awake...I park somewhere else.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
>X , you can be a rather sanctimonious, pious, and rather
>self-righteous individual sometimes. I don’t see how you
>can possible know what another mans truck has or needs, or
>what is running or not running. You know there are several
>ways to make a point, but you seem to think that you are one
>of the few who knows how to get the job done. Well your not.
>There are a few of us that can accomplish profitability,
>without parking within a quarter of a mile from our drop,
>idle the truck to be able to sleep the night thru without
>jumping out of bed ever few hours to run the truck to bring
>the batteries back to a comfortable level. Try to keep the
>rancor toned down.
>
>You give some good tips and sound advice most of the time,
>but your delivery sure seems to make you sound a little
>goofy sometimes.
>
>I don't need an excuse to run MY truck. Not your truck MY
>truck. Next you will say that the guy with his generator
>should not run it unless, oh I don't know what would be okay
>with you X Get off you high horse and join the regular
>people.
>
>Okay lets hear it from the gallery.

This is starting to sound alot like most of the garble on Channel 19. All that is missing is "Shut Up, Stupid" and "I Ain't Got No Panties On".

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Sounds like you need to find a Wal-Mart or similar 24 hour store. They are my parking area of choice for my "Super B Cube". Vans and cubes can park anywhere without much hassle. Save the truck stops for the big trucks. Best of all..... No LOT LIZARDS!!!!!!

late for dinner

Expert Expediter
Msinger, don't try to park your unit at the Wal-Mart on the south side of Charlotte. About 2 months ago the security guard was on me before I got my lights off. He said Wal-Mart trucks and cammpers only. I asked him if this was a new company policy, or just the store in Charlotte. His response was, "I don't know, how long do you think it will be before you are gone" My only wish was that he had told me before I had my shopping done.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As I read the give and take (push and shove?) of this topic, I'm mindful of people researching the industry who may also be reading it. Before Diane and I ever entered the industry, we learned, through internet discussions like this, that truck stops are a double-edged sword. While they provide a truck-friendly place to park and a convenient way to obtain truck goods and services, a lot goes on in them that most drivers would prefer to do without (whatever your offending truck stop feature of choice may be).

One of the main reasons we chose straight truck driving over big-rig driving was the ability to operate mostly independent of truck stops.

For almost three years we drove fleet owner trucks that had no bathroom, toilet or sink. The longer we were on the road, the better we got at relying on truck stops for fuel, showers, and trip-pack drop-off only, and finding other places to sleep instead.

Now that we're in a more full-featured truck, it is even easier to stay clear of truck stops. But even without the bells and whistles, it is possible to improve your quality of life on the road by avoiding truck stops. Many have done so, including RichM who discusses his needs and techniques above.

Now having said all that, I must disclose that we don't avoid truck stops alltogether. As I write this, we're fresh off a delivery to Portland, OR and predispatched to do a local run here tomorrow. Where are we sitting? In the bobtail lot at Jubitz of course! :)

It's movies and ice cream tonight!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that truckstop alternatives are going to become increasingly more difficult to find in the future. In my cargo van I've been kicked out of a Meijers and a Wal-Mart. We have the slobs among us to thank for this, in my opinion. I do beleive in patronizeing these places when I park there. Many don't. That should include truckstops. I've talked to many who won't spend a cent at the Detroiter, but have no problem taking advantage of the parking lot. As far as dealing with idleing trucks at a truckstop, it goes with the territory. I think a lot of people go too far with it. There should'nt be a problem shutting down for 8 hours no matter how big your fridge is.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I took some grief about this in the past but one thing you can do is go to Office Max or Depot, buy some generic Bill of Lading forms. When you park at a Walmart and think you might get kicked out, fill out a BOL for that Walmart stating that you have equipment to be delivered in the AM the next day. Have large letters saying " Meet Ge or IBM rep at 9 AM ,do not deliver early".. Works every time with Sgt Security.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Shutting an engine off should not even be considered in the realms of common courtesy! Ones personal comfort should be. You pound pavement for hours on end--pull into a parking spot and shut the engine off. Even if the outside temp is a cool 70 degrees a larger vehicles tires engine rear end transmission etc are much hotter. within less than 1 hour, all of that heat is going to find its way into the cab no matter how well it is insulated. the result is, you wake up with maybe an hours nap with sweat pouring off you.
I was driving trucks before A/C's came along and heaters in trucks 35 years ago were'nt much to bragg about either.
So--to Hell with the cost of fuel and with companies that offer fuel savings so called BONUSES. I'm out there AND I'm gonna be comfortable. SO, If an idling engine bothers someone, then try sleeping next to a BULL HAULER with your windows down!

Pappy
35 years OTR T/T :) :) :)

Draco

Expert Expediter
I'll try to answer this all in 1 post.

First off I'd been up since about 6am so by the time I hit the J for fuel I was exhausted. So, I did the smart thing and kept my butt OFF the road. 2nd I AM a semi-light sleeper but I have done ok in the past, like I've said this ISN'T my first year. But when a straight truck pulls in and his engine is running plus his fan kicks on every 5 minutes I wake up and stay awake. I too have been kicked out of Walmarts, Meijers and the like perhaps had I been a lil more awake I might have tried to find one.

Like I said before I understand the fact that the "guy" needed sleep and I don't begrudge him from pulling into the RV spaces that were open. But he also didn't check the reg semi side as I know there were spaces open as I saw them when he woke me up. But then again he didn't he decided to use the RV parking. I've parked right next to the semi side of J's before and I was still able to sleep. As the engines didn't seem to be as loud. Now I don't know if they had their engine idled up or not. But I know that it's one thing when one is right next to you with a loud noisy motor that sounds almost like a freight train and one that is behind the truck which seems to be 1/2 the noise.

A little courtsey goes along way in my book. You "guys" in the bigger trucks want courtsey while on the roads from us smaller units. So is it too much to ask for the same thing only on a smaller scale??