What do you like and dislike?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Every carrier has goods and bads, things that are great and things that can be improved.

What is one thing you love about your carrier, and what is one thing you think is a downside? I guess current carrier or a past one works as well. Let's keep it positive and constructive.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Like: interesting 'hold' music - it puts me in a good mood, where a 'commercial' makes me cranky. Small but critical detail for effective communication, because being on hold is an unavoidable irritant, why make it even more irritating? Thank you, Load 1, for avoiding it.:)
Dislike: logs with carbon paper. Carbon paper, in this day & age? Seriously? :eek:

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
On the upside, I like the fact that the company wants the owner operator to succeed and does whatever it can to help. On the downside, well I was looking for the downside after I leased on here but never could find it. I quit looking.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I like that our pay is always correct and on time.
I like that we get paid something for every mile that we are dispatched.
I like that we can decline any load without it counting against us.
I like that we can go out of service anytime we want.

I dislike "Load Opportunities" that go out to multiple trucks and when we accept we get "we're sorry, load #.... has been dispatched to another vehicle".
I dislike the change FedEx is going to make to our logos. Purple and blue is distinctive. Purple and red looks like all the other FedEx trucks. (Except ground)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The trust factor between drivers, o/o'sand dispatch and the management is 2nd to none...when drivers know that dispatch is looking to short change them when telling them what a run pays and start to except runs before they even know wat is pays is not smething people from other carriers can even imagine...yea it takes time to get to that point, but in time it does happen...

The openess and transparency of eveything the company does is also not the norm and is greatly appreciated...

I am with RFields, I don't look for the dislikes, I just didn't find them..yea we will have somethingcome up from time to time, but when they do, they are handled in the way that reflects how the company is run...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm with a great carrier. They pay on time, every time and they keep me busy. That's about all I ask for. Their not big on being involved in the forums so I'll not mention their name.

I could complain that any communication seems to be rushed a little more than I would like. It may be in my head more so than in reality though (for all I know, they may think I rush them...lol). There are times that I would like to talk with them a little more about relocation or load offers or...whatever, but it seems everyone is busy including the owners. Of course, the upside to that is...their busy finding loads! I think the expedited freight environment forces this issue onto everyone involved.

I should add that if I have a real issue that I need to discuss, I can request that the owner call me when HE has time to talk. He always has...and he has always spent however much time it takes to get the problem worked out.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Biggest dislike would properly be the inability to utilize a log book. exp; ya do a 2.5 hour run for em and then your forced to go to bed for 10.
Being married to the auto plants,,when other freight will fit in these trucks.(Not saying to get away from them,,I think I have made a fair living running this freight) but when their isnt a prayer in he_ _ of getting auto freight with-in 300 miles someone should be looking for cookies to put in these trucks instead of D/heading back up north.
(Oh yeah,,Lies...I hate Lies)Tell me the truth,, dont say we got this on the other end if you do this one now.

I enjoy working with everyone and made some good freinds here and even stay in touch with the ones that drag up and go elsewhere. Something right about where Im at but just cant place my finger on it or why I stay.:D
The money: What can I say,,it comes and goes:eek:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I like that the company seems to care that I make money, I don't like having to talk to 4 different people about the same issue and getting 3 1/2 different answers. The one girl gets 1/2 a credit because it was close to what the other said, she just left out all the important details.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
My carrier has the same first, middle, and last name as I do.... I don't have much to say behind that. I can look in the mirror for the source of and solution to any problem.

fired at you from my Droideka

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Seriously??

I like ...

the idea that I am in business for myself and answer to no one. I don't worry about my contract being pulled if I just do my job and don't have to worry about office BS because I don't have to deal with the same people (dispatchers) unless I want to - in other words I can have a do not haul list

the idea that unlike any other company, this one has a big diverse source of work that I can actually tap into which goes way way beyond any other one here

the idea that even though I'm just a number, the company is not going to bs around with one or another within the fleet because they are special or work for a fleet owner or some other BS like that - we seem to be all equal until we screw with the company. Other companies seem to tolerate that crap

the idea that I do not derive my work from this forum and the company seems to care less of what is said outside of their doors - no face book, no twitter, no social networking

my truck qualifies to be in the fleet but so does the 1963 Mack B that I've heard about on the road

What I don't like ...

not having the ability to process my own work through the company

having to deal with website that is developed only for Microsoft products and have to change my password every 86 days

not being able to download my settlements

having two cards, one for fuel and one for settlements

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
dislike:when your working for a company as a team and all you get are micro loads(150miles plus dh)

like: when your company runs you 4200miles in one week and you feel tired.

dislike: qc fees

dislike: having to pester dispatch for finding me a load

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
The trust factor between drivers, o/o'sand dispatch and the management is 2nd to none...when drivers know that dispatch is looking to short change them when telling them what a run pays and start to except runs before they even know wat is pays is not smething people from other carriers can even imagine...yea it takes time to get to that point, but in time it does happen...

Just wondering if it ever happens that a driver has a problem with the payout on a load, after the fact, and if that ever happens, how is it handled? As an outsider, I would have to imagine that just as there are times when one might be surprised by the generous remuneration, there must be times when it would be the other way too? And if it happens, are the drivers/OOs willing to take the bad with the good once in awhile?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Absolutely Pjjjj...there are certain loads, only seen 2 now I think that were less then stellar...but still about as much as some other carriers....

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Just wondering if it ever happens that a driver has a problem with the payout on a load, after the fact, and if that ever happens, how is it handled? As an outsider, I would have to imagine that just as there are times when one might be surprised by the generous remuneration, there must be times when it would be the other way too? And if it happens, are the drivers/OOs willing to take the bad with the good once in awhile?

When I was driving my st, if I thought a load was on the low side, I called dispatch and we talked about it. Usually the result was upping the %.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was driving my st, if I thought a load was on the low side, I called dispatch and we talked about it. Usually the result was upping the %.
Actually I get a call....."we have this load ops that will require a bid less then what you are used too, to get you loaded....Do you want us to try for it?"

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with a great carrier. They pay on time, every time and they keep me busy. That's about all I ask for. Their not big on being involved in the forums so I'll not mention their name.

I could complain that any communication seems to be rushed a little more than I would like. It may be in my head more so than in reality though (for all I know, they may think I rush them...lol). There are times that I would like to talk with them a little more about relocation or load offers or...whatever, but it seems everyone is busy including the owners. Of course, the upside to that is...their busy finding loads! I think the expedited freight environment forces this issue onto everyone involved.

I should add that if I have a real issue that I need to discuss, I can request that the owner call me when HE has time to talk. He always has...and he has always spent however much time it takes to get the problem worked out.

Yep, what the Rocket said. They're as honest as you'll find anywhere, and I really believe they care about us. Always a bed of roses? Of course not, but the dislikes tend to be rather generic, the crapola you'll just find in this business.

I do get a bit jealous when I hear the Load 1 folks talk about those $250 DOT inspection bonuses...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Like: accessibility of everyone from dispatch, admin, fleet, shop to the owner.

Being able to park at the yard over night, take a shower, do laundry and relax in the lounge. Free do it yourself truck wash.

The ease of communications. You actually get to talk with someone or more important, your call is returned in short order. Fortunately, it is rare these days to have to call. Pay is right (usually), you know dispatch is working.

Layover pay. This is a big one.

Toys for tots

Dislikes: carbon logs (thanks Cheri), having to keep all 48 states on my cab card. I understand the why, just have never gotten a load to the western states with any carrier running solo.
The southern terminal not open yet!

John drives a JAG and not a Fusion, Volt or Cobalt! Lol

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, what the Rocket said. They're as honest as you'll find anywhere, and I really believe they care about us. Always a bed of roses? Of course not, but the dislikes tend to be rather generic, the crapola you'll just find in this business.

I do get a bit jealous when I hear the Load 1 folks talk about those $250 DOT inspection bonuses...
You and Rocket have a good gig going there....:D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like openness and honesty plus passing on the full fuel surcharge to the vehicle.

My biggest complaint with any carrier is lack of followup from dispatch when it comes to delivery time being changed on a load. It seems to happen everywhere and just be human nature but it has caused headaches, extra miles and even unsafe driving before.