What do you like and dislike?

aileron

Expert Expediter
I like about my carrier:

Settlement is always correct and on time.

I don't like:

Flat rate pay.
Load opportunities instead of offers.
Not 100% of fuel surcharge passed on to the vehicles.
Not enough loads.

What I don't like about ALL bigger companies (Load1 included)
You cannot get a hold of a recruiter if your life depends on it. I understand they might be busy, but when you try for weeks and leave messages, you would think that they would find time to call you for 3 minutes to answer you question, even if the answer is negative.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Pjjjj wrote:

Just wondering if it ever happens that a driver has a problem with the payout on a load, after the fact, and if that ever happens, how is it handled? As an outsider, I would have to imagine that just as there are times when one might be surprised by the generous remuneration, there must be times when it would be the other way too? And if it happens, are the drivers/OOs willing to take the bad with the good once in awhile?

In the normal everyday load opportunities, if we ask, we are told what a load pay..its not an issue of the amount not eing know..but with 100% of the FCS coming to s and the rate always good and the general way we all get along some of us have just gotten to the point that we know we will be taken care of...We then get those calls that OVM mentioned...telling us that "we can bid it, but it won't be what you are use to...I can tell you that even those have NEVER been what I was getting on a norm rate with my previous carrier..always higher...I have had CALLBACKS from dispatch telling me that while they bid on the run they called me ablut, they could have got it, but they ended up turning it down, because it would have required the run to be taken at a rate that was too cheap....The company wuld rather pass on a load then to start excepting those low rate runs from a client and then find themseles needing to do that on a consistent basis...they won't haul cheap freight...they'd rather pay us to sit and then pay us to move then start taking cheap freight and have the clients think they can get those lower rates all the time...it works...

We also get runs that require us to "crossdock " at our terminal in Taylor...those runs need to be figured on 2 legs with 2 seperate drivers...we all know that when we except those loads, you will be paid good, but you might be half way from Santa Tresea NM to Taylor before you know what you pay is....we gladly take those calls and loads because we don't get messed around...

As for having to make a call on a load I havw excepted and felt that the rate was not right and it needed taken care of....It has never happened...well yea it did, when I excepted a load for 9 miles total and was paid at a rate that was soo far over the top i had to call to make sure it wasn't a mistake....dispatchsaid, I gave the client a quote, they took it and you got your normal rate...I would have been happy with a $100 mini..remember this was a 9 mile run, the pay was 4.5 times that $100.00 mini...for 9 miles....thats the integrity of Load 1..and it comes from the Owner and he has put the same type of people in all positions all the way through the company..

I short story without naming names..we have several dispatchers that have come from other companies.. one has told me that it was hard not to hold back on what they pay drivers because thats not how its done at most other carriers...they were even aid on what they could hold back..its not that why here and they can do their job and not have to worry about "makng a deal" with the drivers..they just bid it and pay us....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We hate being required to buy occupational accident insurance! We have our own comprehensive health insurance along with long-term disability but it seems carriers want this other insurance as well, even though it doesn't cover them. It seems like it should be an owner's decision and carriers that require it seem to be getting into an employer role (which they want to avoid!).

We'd join a class action suit to stop this.

turritrans

Expert Expediter
We hate being required to buy occupational accident insurance! We have our own comprehensive health insurance along with long-term disability but it seems carriers want this other insurance as well, even though it doesn't cover them. It seems like it should be an owner's decision and carriers that require it seem to be getting into an employer role (which they want to avoid!).

Nothing carriers can do about this, this is a state/fed mandate

This is in place or Workers Comp for contractors. Eithier you are an employee with WC or a contractor with Occ/Acc.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
West wrote:

We hate being required to buy occupational accident insurance!

A few things, some states (ohio i know does) require self employed people to purchase ths because they do not qualify for State Workers Comp Insurance...

Not all carriers require the purchase of this..it is optional at Load 1...

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
I like flyin my own flag. I do not like the log audits and fmcsa inspections. I also dislike the rules and regulations. But they are there for a reason more or less. Ohh and I hate new mexico and california

greg334

Veteran Expediter

You should ask your insurance if they will cover you with work related injuries, mine has a limit to what they will cover.

Class action suit? seriously, you going to sue yourself?

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I like flyin my own flag. I do not like the log audits and fmcsa inspections. I also dislike the rules and regulations. But they are there for a reason more or less. Ohh and I hate new mexico and california

I can understand California...but New Mexico? I think that is a beautiful state.:confused:

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
I think new mexico is a beautiful state. What I do not like about new mexico dot is you need your own specific tax id permit just to drive through new mexico when all the other 48 states use just a cab card.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Another little known and oft forgotten thing is that many states require an intrastate permit for pickup & delivery within the state. Alabama got me on that one years ago, when they saw an intrastate run on my log, and I didn't have the permit.
Just another 'thing' to be aware of,,,,,

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What do I like and dislike?

Good question that could make it a lengthy post on both.

To keep it short.

Accurate pay, company that actually understands rates without a bunch of game playing, and transparency that makes sense.

As for dislikes,

New dispatchers that try to convince you they know the business and really don't.
Unanswered phones. If I didn't think it was important, I wouldn't waste my time with the call.
Attempts by customers/carrier to readjust a rate or fuel surcharge either during or after a run. "I don't care who the billing party is".

There's mine.

Wild Child

Seasoned Expediter
West wrote:

A few things, some states (ohio i know does) require self employed people to purchase ths because they do not qualify for State Workers Comp Insurance...

Not all carriers require the purchase of this..it is optional at Load 1...
Chef....if it is optional then someone needs to tell the new safety girl and all in recruiting that it is. They state that it is mandatory in orientation. I have had several drivers of mine try to opt out and they were told that it is mandatory and they have to have it.

Maybe John can chime in and give us the positive position and the truth about this issue. I have at least one driver that would like to pull out of the $30 weekly deduction.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Crapshooter,

As OVM said in post #26,

OVM wrote:

I don't purchase it....

I also do NOT purchase it or have it....when I did the "paper work", it was offered, i declined and that was it....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Ok to clarify:

An owner operator who drives his own vehicle is not required to have Occ Acc insurance.

A owner operator with a driver or a fleet owner with drivers is required to have it on his drivers or provide us with copies of the state certificate for work compensation coverage on their drivers.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Really like- rate per mile on the shorties. $50 & $75, a few times even more, for runs of a few miles.

Like- I can use an older model van. Most runs are pre dispatched the night before. Will let me use my car if they know the package is small enough. Raised my rates twice w/out me asking them. Friendly dispatch.

Dislike- Get out of the Flint/Detroit loop (I-75 basically) & I'm 90% sure I'm coming back empty. Not enough of those shorties. No adjustment in rates when a large part of the trip involves toll roads.

General musing, not a like or dislike- It seems so odd that I make only $35 less in profit to stay in the Flint area than I make going to the other side of Cleveland.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Ok to clarify:

An owner operator who drives his own vehicle is not required to have Occ Acc insurance.

A owner operator with a driver or a fleet owner with drivers is required to have it on his drivers or provide us with copies of the state certificate for work compensation coverage on their drivers.

I don't purchase it....

.... I also do NOT purchase it or have it....

This is one of those times when I end up being confused and finding you guys to be contradictory.

Just because you are business owners doesn't relieve you of your responsibility to your family to provide or replace income in case of accident (unless of course, one is independently wealthy?).

Same as healthcare. You guys are all upset that you might be 'forced' to buy health insurance. I kind of thought it was because you don't need the government to tell you how to look after yourself. But if you are NOT getting these things on your own, then what will you do in the event that you are unable to work for an extended period and perhaps incur large medical bills along the way? Who will look after you then? Where will it come from, if you have chosen not to have these types of insurance?

I completely understand that some might not want to put out the money for it, and may deem it unnecessary for whatever reason (perhaps some feel they are invincible?), but it is 'insurance' to protect against 'accident' or unplanned illness. Hopefully one would never have to use it.

Are you also p*ssed off at the government for mandating that everyone have auto insurance? Because if they hadn't mandated it, how many would still not have it? And who ends up paying for those that DON'T have it when they end up with a large loss?

This is one of those times when I feel like your argument in favor of zero government interference is not thinking about the whole picture. Can someone explain this?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
This is one of those times when I end up being confused and finding you guys to be contradictory.

Just because you are business owners doesn't relieve you of your responsibility to your family to provide or replace income in case of accident (unless of course, one is independently wealthy?).

Same as healthcare. You guys are all upset that you might be 'forced' to buy health insurance. I kind of thought it was because you don't need the government to tell you how to look after yourself. But if you are NOT getting these things on your own, then what will you do in the event that you are unable to work for an extended period and perhaps incur large medical bills along the way? Who will look after you then? Where will it come from, if you have chosen not to have these types of insurance?

I completely understand that some might not want to put out the money for it, and may deem it unnecessary for whatever reason (perhaps some feel they are invincible?), but it is 'insurance' to protect against 'accident' or unplanned illness. Hopefully one would never have to use it.

Are you also p*ssed off at the government for mandating that everyone have auto insurance? Because if they hadn't mandated it, how many would still not have it? And who ends up paying for those that DON'T have it when they end up with a large loss?

This is one of those times when I feel like your argument in favor of zero government interference is not thinking about the whole picture. Can someone explain this?

I tend to agree with you myself. I don't like govt interference and am not supporting it here either, but I do think we should all be proactive. Myself, I'm single so I don't have as much to be concerned about other than my own finances. I do have health insurance and should have occ/acc insurance, but I don't. I also try to make sure that I either have a life insurance policy or credit life to cover any debts I have. If something happens to me, I don't want anyone having to scrape up money to pay anything off.

As for the required auto insurance. I very much have a reason to support it. I was injured when I was 19 years old in an auto accident by someone who had zero insurance. That person was killed in the accident and had nothing of value. Their was insurance money from my side, but I still (after they paid to their limits) basicly started my adulthood $25,000 in debt in 1985 with medical bills. The injuries (severe burns) kept me from being able to do any meaningful labor for a couple of years too. My life would have started much easier if that guy had insurance. To this day, everyone in my family not only carries under/uninsured coverage, but we also raised all the limits to 100/300/50.

Insurance is expensive and a waste of money.... until you need it!

Last edited:

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
I like most things with my carrier. No need to say more than that about the likes.

My biggest dislike: most freight we haul is automotive. I would like to see us "spread our wings" and start hauling some more specialized types of freight. Not keep to many of our eggs in 1 basket. More often than not this type of freight pays more anyways!