What are the best areas for freight?

E

express1man

I am looking to get information that would somehow reduce my sitting time. What are the best areas to sit and wait for loads. I have got the general idea of a major city but sometimes I tend to sit for very long periods of time. Maybe I am going at this all wrong. This might even help some of the newer drivers coming out here also.
There are 48 states and then Canada so just name off cities within a state that is good. I live in Wisconsin which doesnt seem like an active state for freight and it would be kind of nice to get home once in a while.

So please if anyone needs a mentor it is me and this information would help alot. I know you guys and gals make fun and sometimes are pretty cruel with new drivers, but one day before you had all of this experience, you were once in the same boat when you started.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You should be posting your situation on the General Expediters or Newbies forum n where you would get more responses.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a question you need answered by operators in the same equipment category and with the same carrier. The answer varies depending on both factors. Your company should be able to provide you with names of experienced operators willing to mentor you. Good luck.

E

express1man

Thanks for moving it in the right place. However the responses are not really much help so far. I know home is a good place to start and end. If you couldnt tell from my screen name, I drive for Express-1. Surely there has got to be some of them drivers on here. You know when I ask questions to Express-1 I always get alot of empty answers. Like I would ask if and area is better than others, there answer is to always just stay where I am at. But yet I sit forever. Empty answers are not going to help me or the new drivers.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I would contact your recruiter ask for list of drivers who may be able to assist you as you learn the business.

I’ve found the more positive my attitude the more willing folks are to assist. Complaining about lack of work or assistance isn’t the proper approach in my eyes. Asking where I can locate myself thus increasing the probability of getting runs. Developing a good working relationship with other drivers can prove to be a wealth of valuable information.

Good Luck!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This time of year I woulda gave them about 24-36 hours and then start rolling in closer to the busier lanes of frieght to up your chances...remember you take your dwell time with you...so iyou'll take that 36+ hours to the new zone you'll likely bump someone back a position or be #1 by the time you get there. Also give load planning your route and tell them your rolling in and keep an eye out for ya!

E

express1man

Thank you! This is the kinds of information that is helpful. Like right now I am sitting in Milford, CT. I understand this is a decent place for freight. Do you agree or would you relocated to some place better?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It can be BUT.....I'd move over closer to Newburgh Ny there on I think 87 + 84....Just west of 87 on 84 is some truckstops....They could chase ya down to Joisey that way if they needed to...

E

express1man

Again thank you for that informative information. That is what I am looking for is information worth using. Everyone here didnt come into this industry with all the experience needed. They all had to go through trial and error to gain the experience. So coming on here saying to call this person or come on with a more positive attitude is not productive information for me to use to give me a positive attitude. Its just a waste of space and not helpful.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having spent time in dispatch when possible I have to agree with the advice to call in with a positive attitude even if it's totally acting. Calling your recruiter to get names of drivers willing to receive calls is also good advice. Those things can have variable success depending on the size company you are with. In very small companies there may be less benefit but any of the larger companies should have mentors available.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Express1man said.
"So coming on here saying to call this person or come on with a more positive attitude is not productive information for me to use to give me a positive attitude. Its just a waste of space and not helpful."

Not exactly true....
A short fuse and attitude and this profession does not go hand in hand. Your going to get frustrated, angry and feel great disappointment. Your posts on here I am getting the feeling and I maybe wrong that this is the wrong job for you...driving OTR or TT and rolling all the time might be a better choice. I am trying to be truthful and straightforward and giving you my advice you say you don't want to hear.

Good Luck to whichever you chose...Ken :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You can help your self also by keeping track of where you pickup loads on a map such as Streets and Trips. Add a date and the name of location and you can start creating a history. Also if you see anyone at a truck stop that is from the company with the same size vehicle make a point of talking to them by asking them lots of questions. When someone asks us questions, but starts out negative on how horrible they are doing or how horrible the company is they will get no suggestions about what works for us. I would also call your company and ask if they will put you in contact with a mentor. We have found from talking to drivers with other companies a great area for them is a horrible area for us and the same back to them with our company. We have also found that talking to drivers that have reefers, vans, T-Val, T/T and solo's within the same company we are with have different areas that are great for them and bad for us. It takes time to learn this business and being pro active will help you get on the road to success quickly.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you Linda....Great advice!

Patience is a virtue and in this business. Patience is an art form!! :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Express1man: please don't get all defensive, when the replies aren't what you hoped for - the problem is that you're so new that you asked the wrong question, you see?
(And yes, we were all there once, too, but some of us were more prepared, having found this site, read all the General & Newbie threads we could absorb, called recruiters & owners, and in general, done our homework before getting into expediting. I was not one of those, BTW)
Another point: this can be the slowest time of the year, and sitting may last longer than it will next month. Use the time to research, by reading here (esp General & Newbies), and take whatever opportunities present themselves, to talk to other drivers - if you see some in a truckstop lot, and they don't look unapproachable, offer to buy them a coffee, in exchange for some conversation. You may find some who don't want to be helpful, (considering you to be their competition), but if you keep your questions to the general, and your attitude pleasant, you may just make some good connections. The power of networking is awesome - good luck to you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Also, you may want to consider your equipment. If you have taken the advice from many on this site, most recruiters, truck salesmen, etc. And drive a cookie cutter expediter ie single axle, roll up door, 22ft, 12,000lb capacity, then you look like 90% of the trucks out there. Differentiate yourself with capacity, freight handling equipment etc. Remember in this business where you are is not a great place to be everyday, and, where you are is not a poor place to be everyday. It's like a crap shoot. Cities are not necessarily magic anymore. Position yourself away from the herd. btw Wisconsin IS a good place to get in and out of. Good luck.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Brilliant advice, Col! Success in this biz comes down to two things... HAVING what the other guy doesn't, and KNOWING what the other guy doesn't.

If you don't have what the other guy doesn't (liftgate, pallet jack, blankets, etc.), better use the other, and gain as much knowledge as you can. First thing is finding out the freight lines for YOUR company. Then, position yourself away from the "herd", as Col said. Milford is a good place for freight... but not if there are 5 other trucks around you. Cities aren't all where it's at. Sitting between two cities will likely put you on a load not picking up in either city; but rather, out in the boonies.

First thing you do when you drop is to find out where your competition is. Then you'll know how you should work for your freight. Sitting where you drop isn't always the best option. Just because dispatch tells you something, doesn't make it so. And finally, after you've been in this awhile, rely on your gut.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Ya know, I understand the frustration. I have a good friend who recently came to the conclusion that their weight was getting out of control. Now even six months before, I had heard from this person how they wanted to drop some pounds and start going to the gym. I would see them again and they would say the same excuse. "I just need to start exercising again and I'll drop the weight right off." I tried to tell them, that "If you want something you've never had, you've got to do something you've never done."

The reason I've taken time to tell this story is the next part. Just recently, this person started reading some material on nutrition so they would know just how to feed themselves. Then they got on a regimented exercise program (not just doing what they like) so as to really make themselves fit for life.

My point is that this biz ain't like punching a clock. What you've been told about setting yourself apart from the herd is sound advice. My overweight friend said that the unexpected part of the journey was the embarrassment that they had to face when they admitted to people that they were unhealthy. The funny thing was that everyone already knew it. The frustration that you are voicing right now may feel embarrassing for a moment, but it puts you in a position to learn.

Remember, you're not just a steering-wheel holder, you're a businessman.