What a dirt bag!!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry .... but that's a logical fallacy ....

When "expert sources" start getting facts wrong they prove that they are not so expert. The more little things that are wrong the more likely that some of their other more important 'facts' are as well.

I don't have fear of the 'Agencies' or the VAST majority of their people I DO fear those who exercise control over them. THEY are the problem. THEY are the ones who need controlled. Fix the political problems, the corruption etc. Get rid of the politicians, like Bush or Obama, who wish to get rid of our Constitution and replace them with those who love it and the problem would be solved.

A question for those who HATE those who do the job I used to do, how would YOU get that job done. It NEEDS done, what is your alternative? I have always wondered that. No one ever seems to have one. Just slogans etc. I would LOVE to see a valid alternative put forth. Do any of you have one?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OMG, that writer loves to read/hear his own words. Why report something succinctly and clearly with 100 words when one can waste 1000 words aggrandizing one's message? Sadly, an affliction that affects many.
Because it's a magazine article and not a Blog or Forum post. A 100-word magazine article would make for a very limited article in terms of depth, background, context, and information.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Funny article. Seems like that is comes from the same kinda source we all know and love.
Not only is it a logical fallacy, it's an incorrect statement. If the source had a history of "getting it wrong" then attacking the source would be valid, but this source has a history of getting it right. It's not a generic "same kinda" source, this is one of the foremost experts on the NSA. This is a guy who wrote a book (The Puzzle Palace - 1982) using declassified NSA documents, and the NSA actually tried to reclassify them to prevent him from publishing the book. Reagan even went so far as to pen an Executive order allowing declassified materials to be reclassified. He is the thorn in the side of the NSA, because he publishes the truth, and it really ticks them off.

When "expert sources" start getting facts wrong they prove that they are not so expert. The more little things that are wrong the more likely that some of their other more important 'facts' are as well.
What facts has he gotten wrong?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Because it's a magazine article and not a Blog or Forum post. A 100-word magazine article would make for a very limited article in terms of depth, background, context, and information.

..and would just get sent back to him by his editor just because it's too short, no matter how comprehensive it is for its size. He'd say, "If you wanted a couple days off, you should have told me so I could have put someone on it who wanted to work!"

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
OMG, that writer loves to read/hear his own words. Why report something succinctly and clearly with 100 words when one can waste 1000 words aggrandizing one's message? Sadly, an affliction that affects many.
Hate to see what you'd do with a novelist ....

Tell ya what .... why don't you demonstrate to us all your own judicious verbal economy and veritable prowess as a wordsmith: re-write the article in 100 hundred words ....

Then we can all judge whether we feel more informed by reading Mr. Bamford .... or you ....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not only is it a logical fallacy, it's an incorrect statement. If the source had a history of "getting it wrong" then attacking the source would be valid, but this source has a history of getting it right. It's not a generic "same kinda" source, this is one of the foremost experts on the NSA. This is a guy who wrote a book (The Puzzle Palace - 1982) using declassified NSA documents, and the NSA actually tried to reclassify them to prevent him from publishing the book. Reagan even went so far as to pen an Executive order allowing declassified materials to be reclassified. He is the thorn in the side of the NSA, because he publishes the truth, and it really ticks them off.

What facts has he gotten wrong?

OH YEAH, that "Puzzle Palace" Dud, er Dude, who had to get out of the Navy because his performance reviews were SO bad? That DUDE? I knew his supervisor. I am STILL in tough with him. Truth? Hardly, I worked on some of the problems he "exposed". Kinda funny just how far off things were.

I would say my experience at NSA was MUCH greater, time wise, performance wise AND more varied than his. OF COURSE, that does not matter, now does it? I guess 20 years and several dozen awards for sustained superior performance are not worth what a book by a bum who got kicked out for poor performance is, right?

Any way, if we live long enough, every paper I wrote will be declassified, then the truth will come out. They are all still there, in the library.

Any way, I really don't care any more. You guys can be a bigoted against me and those I worked with all you want. It must make you feel good or something.

Under floor storage, what a laugh. What would they store under the floor, cryptic spiders?

Amazing.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Joe....Things go better with Coke.....LOL

LOL!! Don't do drugs!

I just get tired of be belittled for the work I did. I get tired of hearing how my son, nephew, his wife, my dad are "stupid" and 'unprofessional' because they had the audacity to serve in the military and put their lives on the line. Mainly by people with ZERO first hand experience.

I am PROUD of the work I did and PROUD of how well I did it. Can I prove it? Most of it, in about 10 years when it is declassified. Not that any of my detractors would care, it would not fit their preconceived hatred.

I heard all the same crap from my drug infested little brother, for YEARS. The same one who did NOT go see his own son get his Bronze Star for Valor and ridiculed his actions, TO HIS FACE.

Just tired of it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Funny article. Seems like that is comes from the same kinda source we all know and love.

I really like the part where they had raised floors for cables and STORAGE. How funny is that? True they do run the cables under those floors but the primary reason for them is cooling. They run the A/C into the bottom of the racks to force the heat out of the top. It works better since heat rises.
Well, since you axed ..... I'll tell ya just how funny it is:

Since you really have no idea whatsoever what exactly the author was referring to when he said "storage" (since he didn't make it plain), or who his "sources" were for that little tidbit, you're on fairly shaky ground right from the git-go ....

(This sort of thing often arises when people have certain, fixed ideas about what other folks "mean" when they say or write something ....)

Furthermore, you introduce a "red-herring" - which is an informal fallacy (aka Ignoratio_elenchi - irrelevant conclusion or irrelevant thesis) by raising the issue of "primary purpose" ....

If the author had said something like the "primary purpose of these raised floors is cabling and storage" .... you might have something .... but since he didn't, you likely ain't got bupkus ....

Finally, I assume you know what a "patch panel" is ....

Perhaps unlike almost 20 years ago when you were involved and/or working in, or around, data centers, manufacturers these days actually make mounting gear to place a patch panel just underneath the floor panel of a raised floor.

Using a little imagination (and maybe just not being quite so frickin' literal), one might envision the above arrangement as being .... "storage" (of "equipment") underneath a raised floor .... or not .... :rolleyes:

Stories like this lose credibility when they prove that they ain't got a clue.
What I always find impressive is when someone pretends to be "an authority" .... all without realizing that whatever they were an authority in may have surrendered itself to time ....

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
When "expert sources" start getting facts wrong they prove that they are not so expert.
Can't say that from anything I've seen you present that any "facts" actually have been gotten wrong ....

Did I miss something ?

Was it just encrypted .... and I needed the secret LOS decoder ring ?

The more little things that are wrong the more likely that some of their other more important 'facts' are as well.
Well, when we get to the point of actually having at least one wrong that might be the basis for a interesting discussion ....

I don't have fear of the 'Agencies' or the VAST majority of their people ....
Of course you don't - after all .... you were one of them .... :p

I don't know the VAST majority of "their people" .... I only "know of" (which is a far cry from KNOWING) some small percentage of them .... like the remainder of humanity, there are both good and bad among them ....

Undoubtedly, the good ones exceed the bad ....

I DO fear those who exercise control over them. THEY are the problem. THEY are the ones who need controlled.
THEY ALL NEED CONTROLLED .... (meaning anyone in government - politician or not - when they are acting in official their capacity as public servants, as a part of the government)

Fix the political problems, the corruption etc. Get rid of the politicians, like Bush or Obama, who wish to get rid of our Constitution and replace them with those who love it ....
Would go a long way towards it, I'm sure ....

and the problem would be solved.
Yeah, unfortunately it wouldn't be .... because inherent in your premise is the mistaken belief that it only ever the politicians that are the problem ....

For an example that refutes the above idea one only has to look to history at what the commie-paranoid Joint Chiefs proposed to create a pretext for war with Cuba:

.... acts of terrorism inside the US, against their own fellow citizens ....

A question for those who HATE those who do the job I used to do, how would YOU get that job done.
I am not particularly inclined to answer this .... except to say I'm not even sure that I really know exactly what it was that you did do .... (and no - I'm neither seeking, or expecting, an answer)

It NEEDS done, what is your alternative? I have always wondered that. No one ever seems to have one. Just slogans etc. I would LOVE to see a valid alternative put forth. Do any of you have one?
What is "it" ? ("It NEEDS done")

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL!! Don't do drugs!

I just get tired of be belittled for the work I did. I get tired of hearing how my son, nephew, his wife, my dad are "stupid" and 'unprofessional' because they had the audacity to serve in the military and put their lives on the line. Mainly by people with ZERO first hand experience.

I am PROUD of the work I did and PROUD of how well I did it. Can I prove it? Most of it, in about 10 years when it is declassified. Not that any of my detractors would care, it would not fit their preconceived hatred.

I heard all the same crap from my drug infested little brother, for YEARS. The same one who did NOT go see his own son get his Bronze Star for Valor and ridiculed his actions, TO HIS FACE.

Just tired of it.

Joe, I am quite sure the majority here respect the fact you and your family has served this country....don't let the minority get to you...cause they are only the minority. You've defended the principle that everyone has a right to their own opinion and the freedom to say so....even if you don't agree with it....that is what was all about....don't sweat the small stuff buddy....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nobody's talking about what Layout did or dud not do. The article has hot nothing to di with that. All I want to know is what facts the author got wrong in the Wired article.

As fot the raised floor and cable routing and storage, it's not surprising that he would mention that in an article published in a computer magazine, especially since that's precisely how most data centers are constructed, and for the same reasons.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nobody's talking about what Layout did or dud not do. The article has hot nothing to di with that. All I want to know is what facts the author got wrong in the Wired article.

As fot the raised floor and cable routing and storage, it's not surprising that he would mention that in an article published in a computer magazine, especially since that's precisely how most data centers are constructed, and for the same reasons.
you using voice to text?.....it's not working well....LOL

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll have to pass. That would require reading the entire thing, a task too boring to undertake.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
No. I'm using the phone to type this, and am not paying much attention to what autocorrect does with it.

Seems to me a certain amphibian we all know criticized me for the same thing with voice-to-text, something about being too lazy to go back and correct the errors, iirc. Who could that have been?