Well Worth The Money!

M

mcclain

While as a new carrier I am very careful on where I place my ad dollars at I can say EO has been our best investment yet.

We got over 700 hits to our ad, 100 calls, 25 applications from owner operators and we accepted 5 of those applicants on board.

If anyone wants to place an ad for owner-operators I can say from personal experience it is well worth the money to place at least a paid classified on this site.

Now, we will be going through a 'merger of assests' this week and will be joining forces with a TL carrier out of the state of PA.

When I return by mid-week I will be very excited to plug the new company right here on EO first as this will place us in a very strong position in the expedite arena.

Thank you EO - it is your ad that brought our two companies to this merger point in which we should finalize by late Tuesday.

Thank you!

- Greg McClain
(I will leave my company name out of this)
(EO can add it if they wish)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
None of my business, Greg; but it seems you're moving quite quickly with everything you're doing. Hopefully, you're not taking on more than you can chew.

Out of curiosity, why merge? What can you do with them that you can't alone? Why take a risk like that? I know you're impulsive, but why bet the farm on someone else's horse that you hardly know?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
This post kind of reminds me of the little Logo's at the bottom of my TV screen, not over powering but at least a little annoying. Maybe I'm being a little sensitive.

M

mcclain

Hawk -

The reason to merge is quite simple.
The influx of cash that will be available is a huge reason. With this influx of cash my company will now be able to offer base plates, fuel cards, we will now PAY the IFTA taxes, and much much more. I will have terminal locations in 25 states which will allow my company to better serve customers we other wise might night have and will give us access to some cross-docking if we need it as well. Another huge factor Hawk is I will no longer carry the risk of credit of the clients, the parent company will handle all payroll along with all safety aspects of the company, log reviews, drug testing etc. These people have been around since 1973 and have over 500 tractors running the lanes as we speak. My company will now be the expedite division and I believe we have really reduced our overall risk and liability while dramatically increasing our potential. I am really excited about this potential and believe it puts us in a really strong position. I hope this answered your questions. It is now 12-midnight. It's sleep time as I head off to Cleveland and then off to 'corporate' in PA!! Wooooooooooooo!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
These people have been around since 1973 and have over 500 tractors running the lanes as we speak.

So not to rain on your parade but something does not smell right.

If they have been around for 35 years, and you have been around for how many months, it would seem that a 'merger' of a new company with an older one is to hide something for the older company because you seem not to have any real assets built up - either tangible or intangible - and I would think that in all mergers there has to be something in it for both parties. I see that they can do everything you do and more, so?

Also, I played the merger game and it took 8 months just to get it done after 4 months working under the letter of intent. You don't merge overnight.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, but I think it was just one more chance to advertise/plug his operation.

I just wonder why anyone would sign on with an unknown company, who obviously, was worried about funding. Are people that gullible?
Why would a carrier with 500 trucks have terminals in 25 states?

Mcclain said: Now, we will be going through a 'merger of assests' this week and will be joining forces with a TL carrier out of the state of PA."

What assets do you have? About two months ago you came on asking what the rates were for expediting. then two weeks later your telling people how much your paying your drivers. (which was slightly higher than the average, but you had no trucks) All the while you said you had been a broker, I found it odd at the time that a freight broker did not have an idea what the rates were.

And all this from a gentleman who can't afford to put anything but the smallest advertisement that the sight has.

How are you going to pay your drivers?

Or am I being to blunt.

Last edited:
M

mcclain

I started typing this long story over and over again.
This is my fifth time I started over.
Then I just remembered something.

I felt like I had to defend myself.
I thought I needed to revert back to my old self and then it hit me.

That maybe I just needed to look at it this way.
Here I am sitting outside Phily - getting ready to improve my life for a change, getting ready to improve my business and it's position as well.

That maybe while these others doubt this taking place, that it can not be done in such a short time, that it makes do sense for the other company to do this.................

Maybe the only thing that really matters is, it is taking place, the other company truely understands what assets I myself bring to the table and that I understand what they will be doing for me.............

That maybe I really shouldn't give a rats tailbone what some of these people think or say---------------and I owe no further explaining to any of them-----------yeap that's it!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I started typing this long story over and over again.
This is my fifth time I started over.
Then I just remembered something.

I felt like I had to defend myself.
I thought I needed to revert back to my old self and then it hit me.

That maybe I just needed to look at it this way.
Here I am sitting outside Phily - getting ready to improve my life for a change, getting ready to improve my business and it's position as well.

That maybe while these others doubt this taking place, that it can not be done in such a short time, that it makes do sense for the other company to do this.................

Maybe the only thing that really matters is, it is taking place, the other company truely understands what assets I myself bring to the table and that I understand what they will be doing for me.............

That maybe I really shouldn't give a rats tailbone what some of these people think or say---------------and I owe no further explaining to any of them-----------yeap that's it!

Hey FortWayne,

Why get so defensive with a few questions? C'mon man? You brought it up. This kind of prodding could actually make your vision stronger. If you only hang around folks who agree with you, or who are easily impressed by you, what growth will that bring in your life and your business?

Here's my question: Ya got out of trucking last year, if I remember correctly. Injury? Ya went to work for a broker friend and then started your own brokerage. Just looked you up to give you a call and saw you have no bond to broker anymore. You only spent six months as a broker. Why close up shop and do this now? No business is an overnight success. Why the change?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
You certainly don't need to defend yourself, but if you felt that maybe you should then why not give some explanation for your not knowing what the freight rates were/are.

Don't misunderstand some of these comments, most here to include myself would like nothing better than to see you succeed.

But and yes there is a but(t) you would have to admit that most of your posting in the open forum is for the most part your attempt to plug your enterprise. And that gets a little annoying, at least to me and several other people here. The owners of this site will allow some of that "plugging" for new and young startup companys. That does not mean that we like to read advertisements when we sit down to the computer to read what's happening with some of our "friends" here on EO.

But good luck with your new endeavor, maybe then you can quit plugging when posting.

Last edited:

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
jaminjim,
You mean when I get out of college and start doing my own thing you all don't want me to advertise on the open forum? That breaks my little heart. No, just kidding. I might be sending some pms to people who are starting up as well to see about helping each other out you know. You know, say you're running a one truck outfit and your in Chicago and a customer calls with a load picking up in Dallas and I'm stuck there so I help you and haul it for you for a %. If I remember correctly Lawerence made it pretty clear he didn't want advertising going on the in the open forums, but I'm not trying to be a school yard snitch.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Well
my life in trucking is pretty much over other than driving a rig from whole to whole.

so I havent been keeping up much but wasnt ft.wayne banned from this site and isnt greg mcclain ft.wayne one in the same?

I coulda swore I got a pm from ft wayne once about wanting to drive and he said his name was greg mcclain

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, how many owner/operators do you plan on starting out with? Will the Teamsters be representing their interests?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot,
I am wondering..

I know it only takes one employee to get the union in, but how many really are needed to get the union to represent them?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
He's a one-man operation who has constantly (here and on his Web site) used "we" and "our" and now there's this "merger" thing and suddenly it's all about "I" and "my". Reply #4 above is soooo telling it's not even funny, but then you couple it with Reply #8 and it becomes classic.

Other than, for those who want to waste their time with such things, check autority dates, domain name registration, the swiftness and sheer number of ads placed around the net, claims made, and a reverse lookup on his "office" phone number. It's a real hoot.

There's a lot more I can say, buuuut I won't.

I do wish Mr McClain success in all his future endeavors, tho.