We have decided!

mikefl

Active Expediter
We have decided! Well she has any way LOL. We are going to go a head and get our class B CDL with in the next month or so.

We are going to start out at Panther with a fleet owner in a Straight. "BUT" We have to choose a fleet owner to drive for.

So by Oct. we should be ready to go out on the road.

Now questions about running for a fleet owner. I have met a few people that drive for fleet owners and they love it, and you can tell me if I am in the correct path.

We will try to find someone to drive for at 60/40. We pay for fuel.

We will be looking to be in the truck from a min of 30 days and a max of 90 days with out time home.

Should we find a fleet owner that does not micro manage but lets you run?

We control the comdata card?

Expect partial payment from comdata then the rest at the 15 day hold from panther direct deposited?

To be in a 2007 or newer straight with at least a 96" sleeper to be compfy?

The truck to have a tag axle and a lift gate so we could make more on each run?

I have looked at all of the fees Panther charges.

Will we be responsible for the insurance, qualcom, tolls, and prepass?

I know we will be responsible for our W/C.

But what other fees would we be responsible for?

If you know of anyone that will be looking for drivers with panther PM me and let me know. I would love to get everyone's 2 cents in. You guys have been here for a while now and I actually trust a few of you guys advise LOL.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have decided! Well she has any way LOL. We are going to go a head and get our class B CDL with in the next month or so.

We are going to start out at Panther with a fleet owner in a Straight. "BUT" We have to choose a fleet owner to drive for.

Now questions about running for a fleet owner. I have met a few people that drive for fleet owners and they love it, and you can tell me if I am in the correct path.

We will be looking to be in the truck from a min of 30 days and a max of 90 days with out time home.

Expect partial payment from comdata then the rest at the 15 day hold from panther direct deposited?

If you know of anyone that will be looking for drivers with panther PM me and let me know. I would love to get everyone's 2 cents in. You guys have been here for a while now and I actually trust a few of you guys advise LOL.

You are new.....do you know even how to run? as in where to be , where to go and not go and so on........you should expect some managing for awhile...

mikefl

Active Expediter
Yes we are new. But I have a few friends that have drove for about 15 years and they have given me where and when to be at locations this is why I am wanting to stay with Panther. They have been there for years and they have the ideas of the loads. They have a few trucks on the road but they have employees on W-2's not 1099. They want me to come and work for them but I can not handle being someones employee. I have owned my own business for almost 20 years.

MiFamilyGuy

Active Expediter
I spent 12 days driving for a fleet owner in '04. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. He offered 30%. I didn't know at the time that most drivers get more. After I committed and went to orientation, he informed me that during "training" I would only get 10%. He sent me out with his other driver and I heard all kinds of negative talk about the guy. We blew a turbo in Wyoming and after hours of my trainer calling back and forth between repair shops and the owner we finally got permission to get it fixed. The company credit card was maxed out so the owner asked if I could use my personal card and let him pay me back. After we made our delivery in Oregon we spent some more hours shopping for the cheapest starter in town. Between the down time between loads and the hassle of getting repairs done I left and signed on with a big carrier. My income for those 12 days was just over $200. After the cost of meals and showers, it came out to nothing.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I spent 12 days driving for a fleet owner in '04. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. He offered 30%. I didn't know at the time that most drivers get more. After I committed and went to orientation, he informed me that during "training" I would only get 10%. He sent me out with his other driver and I heard all kinds of negative talk about the guy. We blew a turbo in Wyoming and after hours of my trainer calling back and forth between repair shops and the owner we finally got permission to get it fixed. The company credit card was maxed out so the owner asked if I could use my personal card and let him pay me back. After we made our delivery in Oregon we spent some more hours shopping for the cheapest starter in town. Between the down time between loads and the hassle of getting repairs done I left and signed on with a big carrier. My income for those 12 days was just over $200. After the cost of meals and showers, it came out to nothing.

Yep you have to watch out for those kind of owners. They are out the and waiting to take advantage of "New" drivers. Sad but true.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes we are new. But I have a few friends that have drove for about 15 years and they have given me where and when to be at locations this is why I am wanting to stay with Panther. They have been there for years and they have the ideas of the loads. They have a few trucks on the road but they have employees on W-2's not 1099. They want me to come and work for them but I can not handle being someones employee. I have owned my own business for almost 20 years.

That's a good thing...to have friends in the loop...good luck!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good luck! One other thing. Don't let the model year of a truck hang you up. There are plenty of good older trucks out there, many of which are better than some of their newer counterparts. Take each owner/truck on it's own value.

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Also with you guys being new you are more than likely going to treat you as employees as in telling you where to go and what loads to take. Most every owner I have ever talked to at panther even stated that they make the call on when and where you go. Without a little experience under your belt I doubt seriously anyone is going to give you a truck and say go make money. Just not how it works.

On the other hand the fleet I drive with now never bothers us. I don't hear from them and they don't here from me unless a breakdown or accident which hasn't happened yet.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

I say yes on this although I hesitate due to your lack of experience at this point. You will want the owner available for guidance and you will need to be able to determine if that guidance is on point.
We quickly learned that our first fleet owner had been off the road too long and was not current on many things like where to layover so we schooled ourselves.
While some micromanaging may actually be helpful at first it could set the tone for your future relationship and be very difficult to change later on. Don't be wishy washy on this. Have a clear meeting of the minds on what each other expect and do it face to face.

Whatever the year, make sure the owner is on board with preventative maintenance, timely repairs
and how they will pay for them. You shouldn't have to pay then be reimbursed.

Just W/C insurance, tolls are negotiated, owner pays qualcom and most always prepass

Don't forget fuel taxes. When you pay for fuel not all of the taxes are collected at the pump so when your owner gets the bill you get the bill.

mikefl

Active Expediter
I remembered the fuel tax when I was trying push number down the page of paper. But with expediting there are no real income level you can go by, from what I have learned from the people I have spoken with that is on the road. When you have your good months set a side for those bad ones.

From what I can see the most important thing besides getting the loads there is managing your funds. If you are successful at this then you can make it.

Our plans are to drive for a fleet owner for a while (6-12 months) and then put our own truck on.

We have always been the type to put our 100% in every thing we do. This is why I feel we will succeed in expediting.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remembered the fuel tax when I was trying push number down the page of paper. But with expediting there are no real income level you can go by, from what I have learned from the people I have spoken with that is on the road. When you have your good months set a side for those bad ones.

From what I can see the most important thing besides getting the loads there is managing your funds. If you are successful at this then you can make it.

Our plans are to drive for a fleet owner for a while (6-12 months) and then put our own truck on.

We have always been the type to put our 100% in every thing we do. This is why I feel we will succeed in expediting.

now it is time to get out there and get your feet wet and find out first hand....there are so many variables that can come into play in this biz....when something goes wrong, stay cool and think things thru..have a plan and a backup plan, be prepared.

mikefl

Active Expediter
Getting our feet wet is not what I am worried about it is if we run into deep what with fleet owners. LOL!!!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

"she" has decided? Sounds to me that a fair amount of guidance may be in order to eliminate the possibility of missing opportunitys to make some good cash because of "don't wannas".

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

It's quite an adventure you're in for, hope it's blessed with happy times, as well as frustration. Wait - I'm not hoping for the frustration, lol, I just know it'll happen.

Your first priority should be protecting your CDL, which is more important than anything else for a driver. That means whatever truck you drive must be properly equipped and maintained, ready for a Level 1 DOT at any time. If the owner [or you] don't keep that uppermost in your mind, your new career could be real short.
Money comes after: as ATeam advises, if you drive for an owner, always have enough money to walk away if it doesn't work. Which doesn't mean abandoning the truck - you need to know what the contract requires, and follow it.

Being new, you should welcome whatever guidance and advice you can get, until you don't need it anymore. Micromanaging means different things to different people, so you should aim for a relationship that provides both parties with satisfaction.

You may well need to sacrifice some desires to gain the experience it takes to expect your desires to be met. A seasoned and proven team can afford to reject a truck they think is too old or small or not what they want, but you're not there yet. Work hard, and you will be.

I offered advice solely on what I know, so nothing about Panther, ComData, or what you may have to pay.
Whether you trust it or not is your call - but that's what you will be deciding a lot of things on, so get used to it, lol.
:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter

I'm confused about not wanting to work for a guy that has done well enough to put drivers on a W-2. Pretty rare in this industry.
I would think these guys are bright enough to be doing this they would be a great place to learn.
A lot of owners will treat a newbie worse than an employee.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I'm confused about not wanting to work for a guy that has done well enough to put drivers on a W-2. Pretty rare in this industry.

Excellent point Zorry, when I had more than one truck running, my drivers were on W-2's .... and I paid the workers comp also. (Required in Ohio).

As for managing them, I did. Not micro managaing, but I wanted to know at all times where my truck and drivers were, and what they were doing. If it seemed wrong, I corrected it.

They made money, and so did I.

mikefl

Active Expediter
There is nothing wrong with needing to know where your truck is. That is not the point I am making. The point is that some owners will make you turn loads down that is not up to their profit line not understanding that when you turn the loads down they play it against you and you be put at the end of the line.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I knew of an owner that dispatch called him 1st with the offer and he preapproved it..then they call the driver and they could then say yes or no.....

BigCat

Expert Expediter
There is nothing wrong with needing to know where your truck is. That is not the point I am making. The point is that some owners will make you turn loads down that is not up to their profit line not understanding that when you turn the loads down they play it against you and you be put at the end of the line.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using EO Forums

So your saying you have a problem with the owner making you turn down loads that are not profitable to him? You do know that if he is profitable then YOU are profitable as well?

My last fleet owner has someone running his truck that has never done it before and he let him manage. Long story short this owner is going broke and at the point he was trying to get me to come back and recover his truck.

Inexperienced with no background in the transportation requires help and micro managing from the start. And not to mention going to panther, when you finally get them figured out you decide you dont want to work there and move on like many of us here have.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If an operation has to punish you to force you to take marginal loads I see little upside to the operation.
Unless you're happy with marginal results.
YOU should decide when a marginal load works for YOU. Not run them because you are forced to.
As far as being managed. I came into expediting with tons of trucking knowledge and experience. I sought out a situation where I was managed so I could learn from someone else's experience.
I wanted to be profitable as possible from day one. I did not want to waste my time/money while I made rookie mistakes.