watch your public life

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
got this today from a friend. found me and several of us on this site.

There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, family member's names.
You can remove yourself by searching your name, find your page, copy the URL then go to the bottom right of the page & click on the Privacy link to remove yourself, although I didn't find that information displayed on theit website.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Wasn't this brought up a couple of weeks ago in another thread?

I've been there and saw some of my info. Nothing I've ever done online before though. Had my cell phone # listed, which I've had going on 10 years now, but wasn't surprised when I saw it cause I've been using it as my personal number for many years now.

I too have tried to have my info removed with no success. At least not yet I haven't had any luck. I'm not one to give up though.

Last edited:

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can have info removed, but the first inquiry triggers a new web search. And boom, there is all your info again.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Pirate2X

Active Expediter
Had no problem removing, or so the email and clickie link says...

One would think this would be illegal, privacy act or something?:mad:

~Bill

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Had no problem removing, or so the email and clickie link says...

One would think this would be illegal, privacy act or something?:mad:

~Bill
Its all already public information, likely all of it information you have posted yourself. All of that information is simply aggregated much the same way Google aggregates news feeds. In order to remove the information that shows up, you have to remove it from the source, not from the aggregator.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Both my wife and my cell are listed but not to our names on there.lol we've had em for almost 8 yrs.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting site. Not sure about the accuracy of the posted information though. Somewhere along the line I lost a kid. Not the one that got married, but the one that still live with us. Also the house I own is valued way more than the house my wife owns. She never even told me she had her own place. I believe a family chat is long over due.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
This isn't much different from any site that says "Find out information about people". They charge for the full report. Everything I saw could be found elsewhere. What I found interesting was that they have two different listings for me.

The first one uses the nickname spelling of my first name. This has the accurate address,but incorrect years living there. The thing that bothers me about this is that it had to be obtained from my OOIDA membership. OOIDA incorrectly used my nickname instead of my given first name. OOIDA apparently sells their mailing lists.

The second listing using my full proper name lists my address at the apartment I lived in 20 years ago.

I didn't pay the $4.95 to see the full report, but most of what I did see was inaccurate, and of what was accurate could be obtained legally from any county courthouse.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I live in an apartment,it says I own it, valued at 148 k.any one want to but this place,I could really use the money ,lol