**WARNING to new contractors*****

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
My ex-driver was careful about those last settlements, he took lots of cash advances, so his final paychecks didn't cover not even a 1/10th from the expenses I had to recover the vehicle. Now it seems that he's screwing another fleet owner...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

That situation there is why we dont do advances nor are we a fan of the carrier having the advance policy after you load the freight. Escrow accounts are great but you have to make it long enough to build the account. We like having some possible cash for recovery but even that doesnt always work.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds to me you need to limit his advances or find him more freight

Sent from my SPH-L720T using EO Forums mobile app

This guy had/has a special relationship with the carrier. When I figured it out, it was too late. Before me there was another screwed fleet owner. And now he's driving for another unfortunate owner, with the same carrier.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That situation there is why we dont do advances nor are we a fan of the carrier having the advance policy after you load the freight. Escrow accounts are great but you have to make it long enough to build the account. We like having some possible cash for recovery but even that doesnt always work.

He was taking cash advance for fuel only. But the amounts were much higher than normal.

BluegrassHillbilly

Rookie Expediter
Warning!! The owner out of Knoxville Tennessee be careful of. Worked for her for almost a year had a family issue ( death) and (illness) took truck back to where she wanted it in good condition. Kept our last paycheck. Put a new team in the truck the day after we brought truck back. Be careful she will screw you she claims up front she supports her drivers no matter what. But we found out the hard way. Steer clear of this one!!!!

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Warning!! The owner out of Knoxville Tennessee be careful of. Worked for her for almost a year had a family issue ( death) and (illness) took truck back to where she wanted it in good condition. Kept our last paycheck. Put a new team in the truck the day after we brought truck back. Be careful she will screw you she claims up front she supports her drivers no matter what. But we found out the hard way. Steer clear of this one!!!!

Now when you say that what if there are 2 fleet owners out of Knoxville? Are we supposed to just let the other possibly good owner suffer?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Like Daffy said, there could very well be more than 1fleet owner in Knoxville. And more than one fleet owner from other carriers as well.
I'm sorry you're in a bad situation, but broad accusations and vague descriptions helps no one.
Good luck to you.

BluegrassHillbilly

Rookie Expediter
Now when you say that what if there are 2 fleet owners out of Knoxville? Are we supposed to just let the other possibly good owner suffer?[/

There are two owners in Knoxville 1 is a man and the other is a woman. Being as how you can't mention names on here it's hard to give the actual owner.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Now when you say that what if there are 2 fleet owners out of Knoxville? Are we supposed to just let the other possibly good owner suffer?[/

There are two owners in Knoxville 1 is a man and the other is a woman. Being as how you can't mention names on here it's hard to give the actual owner.

Then maybe you should just tell your story and give a general warning. I didn't know you knew everyone's business in Knoxville. You know all the fleet owners for fedex custom critical? All the panther owners? All the xpo fleet owners? Do I need to go on ? I'm a fleet owner. I don't know you and you don't know where I live so maybe your talking about me? Maybe I'm the innocent victim here from your post? Maybe I just see a flaw in posting something so generic it will only serve to hurt people and has no benefit for anyone reading these forums.

BluegrassHillbilly

Rookie Expediter
Then maybe you should just tell your story and give a general warning. I didn't know you knew everyone's business in Knoxville. You know all the fleet owners for fedex custom critical? All the panther owners? All the xpo fleet owners? Do I need to go on ? I'm a fleet owner. I don't know you and you don't know where I live so maybe your talking about me? Maybe I'm the innocent victim here from your post? Maybe I just see a flaw in posting something so generic it will only serve to hurt people and has no benefit for anyone reading these forums.

I'm sorry Daffy Quacker:
I thought that's what I did. If the post doesn't refer to you why are you getting your feathers in a ruffle???
Seems to me your the one that needs to worry about your own business. I never said I knew all the fleet owners out here just the one I worked for. And seeing as how names should not be mentioned on here it's hard to pin point the loser owners.
I'm sure you fleet is just fine!!!

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I'm sorry Daffy Quacker:
I thought that's what I did. If the post doesn't refer to you why are you getting your feathers in a ruffle???
Seems to me your the one that needs to worry about your own business. I never said I knew all the fleet owners out here just the one I worked for. And seeing as how names should not be mentioned on here it's hard to pin point the loser owners.
I'm sure you fleet is just fine!!!

We are doing well, thank you for asking. I guess my main concern is what's the point to your story? Is it beware of a fleet owner out of Knoxville or is it to have a contract and know what it says so other drivers don't end up in a similar situation? It should be the second part, not the first. Beware of owner xyz helps only the people looking at that fleet owner and being we can't name names it can actually serve to damage someone's rep beyond your intention. Encouraging fellow drivers to protect themselves by way of a signed contract is a win win for all parties. We are here to encourage each other to be better business people and to learn from each other's mistakes. Never should we do something that could destroy another persons reputation, intentionally or unintentionally. That's what I wanted you to see. I hope you have better success in your future ventures and things on the side of your emergency that brought you off the road end in a better place than they started.

BluegrassHillbilly

Rookie Expediter
We are doing well, thank you for asking. I guess my main concern is what's the point to your story? Is it beware of a fleet owner out of Knoxville or is it to have a contract and know what it says so other drivers don't end up in a similar situation? It should be the second part, not the first. Beware of owner xyz helps only the people looking at that fleet owner and being we can't name names it can actually serve to damage someone's rep beyond your intention. Encouraging fellow drivers to protect themselves by way of a signed contract is a win win for all parties. We are here to encourage each other to be better business people and to learn from each other's mistakes. Never should we do something that could destroy another persons reputation, intentionally or unintentionally. That's what I wanted you to see. I hope you have better success in your future ventures and things on the side of your emergency that brought you off the road end in a better place than they started.

As I first stated the fleet owner out of Knoxville Tennessee the lady from there. I believe that a owner of any fleet who claims to support their drivers should do just that. I also believe that if people are driving for these owners and a issue with family should come up while the driver is out on the road such as illness or death the owner should have enough human decency to support that driver no questions asked. I believe under those circumstances that no owner should ever keep a drivers last paycheck after enduring those situations only to harden the situation even further for the driver.
I believe that honest true owners are far and very few between.
And I believe that sums up my POINT!!!
Now as for all the owners out of Knoxville they have nothing to do with my post. The only one that would know or have a come back would have to be the owner that just had this happen with one of her drivers. Notice I Said HER!!!
So I'm wondering Daffy does this comment I made pertain to you or are you just a owner who tends to everyone's business but your own???
Thanks Have A Blessed Day!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As I first stated the fleet owner out of Knoxville Tennessee the lady from there. I believe that a owner of any fleet who claims to support their drivers should do just that. I also believe that if people are driving for these owners and a issue with family should come up while the driver is out on the road such as illness or death the owner should have enough human decency to support that driver no questions asked. I believe under those circumstances that no owner should ever keep a drivers last paycheck after enduring those situations only to harden the situation even further for the driver.
I believe that honest true owners are far and very few between.
And I believe that sums up my POINT!!!
Now as for all the owners out of Knoxville they have nothing to do with my post. The only one that would know or have a come back would have to be the owner that just had this happen with one of her drivers. Notice I Said HER!!!
So I'm wondering Daffy does this comment I made pertain to you or are you just a owner who tends to everyone's business but your own???
Thanks Have A Blessed Day!!!

Do you also believe there's just one woman fleet owner in Knoxville? And that there will be only one for years to come? [I ask because there is a thread resurrected from years ago running now - people might not notice how old it is.] Daffy is correct to point out that you might be causing trouble for someone who doesn't deserve it, or even know where it comes from.
And if you truly believe a driver who reports a "family issue of death or illness" should be supported with no questions asked, you may be awhile, looking for a fleet owner who agrees with that. Of course it may be genuine, but it's also an easy way to go home when not otherwise entitled, and if I were a fleet owner, I'd certainly want some details. [Subject to knowledge of the driver involved.] For those drivers who look for ways to 'get over', it's a time honored dodge. For drivers who aren't, questions are no problem to answer.

BluegrassHillbilly

Rookie Expediter
Being as how names don't need to be mentioned it's an unfortunate event that happened. It was a valuable lesson learned on our part. I guess I'm a believer in integrity and honesty treating people the way I would want to be treated. As for finding a new owner we've already done that. Best part they have been around for years and have a exceptional track record for supporting their drivers. But best of luck to you all God Bless and Be Safe!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is more than one female fleet owner in the Knoxville area. Really not sold on these one sided stories. You had to come of the road for "family reasons" and then trash the fleet owner for finding another team. Are you expecting them to carry the costs for your extended time off?
Seems like quite a bit is left out as there typically is in these types of situations. Most of the time, these issues are addressed in your contract which you upon your own admission breached.
Just not enough specific information for anyone to draw a conclusion.
"Integrity & honesty" is subjective to both sides.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

Going to chime in here and ask a few questions. First, did you dead head the truck back and who paid for the fuel ? Second, did said owner not pay you or has just not paid you yet. Its not uncommon for a fleet owner to hold a final pay for a few weeks till all of the deductions have cleared. Third, did your contract state that if you breached contract you forfeited your last pay or escrow or both ? While you may be out money the fleet owner is out money also, did that cross your mind ? There is the down time you caused by bringing the truck back, a few days . Then there is the cost and downtime of putting a new team in the truck, a few days. So in the best scenario, 5 days downtime not to mention that could lead to more if the new team doesnt work out. The latter is no fault of yours but it is something that happens after the fact that causes lost revenue that nobody ever thinks about.

Just a few questions I would like you to answer along with explaining why said owner did not pay you. What reason did said owner give ? Im sure there was a discussion of some sort.

logisticscom

Not a Member
Yes, there are two sides to the stories, then again there are dirty drivers and dirty owners.
It would be nice if we could always just put those two parties together and then maybe they could just eliminate each other.
Two sides to the story still takes two sides to improve the situation.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Put me together and strap on the boxing gloves let Em fight it out!
Another new guy resurrected a n over a year old thread
Well we were all new once I guess!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Put me together and strap on the boxing gloves let Em fight it out!
Another new guy resurrected a n over a year old thread
Well we were all new once I guess!

True dat, but the "new guy" you're referring to isn't. The username is new, the job title is new, but the person behind it has been on EO [off & on] for years, so not a newbie at all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
True dat, but the "new guy" you're referring to isn't. The username is new, the job title is new, but the person behind it has been on EO [off & on] for years, so not a newbie at all.
So he absolutely should know better.