**WARNING to new contractors*****

hookertrash

Rookie Expediter
This is just a little warning to new contract drivers, don't sign a contract with owners unless you investigate them. Ask the owner to provide you with numbers of drivers that have worked for them, past and present,do a total inspection of the equipment. If the owner is unwilling to give you numbers there's a reason for it don't sign, if their equipment is not up to snuff don't sign. Ask if you can run under a temp. contract or no contract for the 1st 2-3 weeks to see how it goes. This is a bigy because if you sign with a real bad owner, which I'd say about 30-40%, are bad and maybe 10% are really a nightmare and can make your life difficult. I only hope that new drivers will listen to my warning, some of these owners will sign you and treat you like dog poo. Now I've been driving a long time however not expedited and my 1st and last experience with it I just had and it was bad very bad. Also see how long contract is in effect, if they insist that you sign get a signing bonus or retention bonus, this will make them put their money where their mouth is, some of these owners will make you responsible for everything, let me remind you, you are the driver that's it you are not responsible for for the upkeep, or wear and tear that's the owners responsibility, a good owner will work with you on any issues just be respectful and honest and you should get that in return.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for not naming names.
Nice, informative post that did not throw anyone under the bus.

Welcome to EO.

Hope you find, or have found, that good owner.

The bad start will make you appreciate the good owner when you find one.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
With one of my dads drivers, the gentleman keeps his windows and van very very clean. My dad will reimburse him as long as he keeps receipts, that includes tolls, def, fuel, and any other miscellaneous expenses when the driver comes home for a break. The and my dad did work out some kinda thing on windshield washer fluid but since that isn't all that expensive I seriously doubt that's a huge loss or gain either way. This is the same with me as I also drive in a van owned by my dad. We both get paid our 40% every Friday the day after our carrier deposits the settlement into the bank. While I realize my situation is probably a lot different from most others I think we have a very fair agreement. Seems sorta standard at least to me anyways. Pay folks what that earned, keep the equipment in tip top shape and allow drivers home time when they should have it. Which is normally 10-15 days out 2-4 days home, we pay for our own fuel back home

hookertrash

Rookie Expediter
that's a good deal as for me and my wife we haven't been paid yet, but all in all I'm happy it's all on the table and out there, owners are just regular peeps like anyone else, good and bad.

hookertrash

Rookie Expediter
Na, not looking although me wife may stay with as she started with her dod clearance and all that jazz, I'm into oil field work not otr, with oil field your out for at least 4 weeks I tend to stay out for 6-7 weeks when money is flowing.

noneya

Active Expediter
Thank you for not naming names.
Nice, informative post that did not throw anyone under the bus.

Welcome to EO.

Hope you find, or have found, that good owner.

The bad start will make you appreciate the good owner when you find one.

I honestly think that putting low life fleet owners on blast is a good thing. Drivers need the heads up on scum who will not pay them or will nickel and dime them to death! #callemout

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I honestly think that putting low life fleet owners on blast is a good thing. Drivers need the heads up on scum who will not pay them or will nickel and dime them to death! #callemout

The problem with that is its normally one side of two stories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter
The problem with that is its normally one side of two stories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Well I never said that the accused couldn't defend him/herself, after all, this is an open forum. Also, airing things out in the open gives all of us a sense of who is full of b.s.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In that case the driver should tell the owner all about EO, how to sign in and post, and inform him that the driver is going to post a negative post.

Not all owners are even aware of EO.

noneya

Active Expediter
In that case the driver should tell the owner all about EO, how to sign in and post, and inform him that the driver is going to post a negative post.

Not all owners are even aware of EO.

Good! It's always good to give fair warning before airing the dirty laundry

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Sadly, many owners and managers don't care at all what a driver says about them. Just another fish in the sea. Not all owners, but plenty of them.
Believe it......

noneya

Active Expediter
Sadly, many owners and managers don't care at all what a driver says about them. Just another fish in the sea. Not all owners, but plenty of them.
Believe it......

I know, but potential drivers need to know what they are getting into. I've had a few bad experiences with fleet owners and only if someone gave me the heads up about these guys, I could've save myself the headaches.

hookertrash

Rookie Expediter
This I know that's I'm not giving any details just a warning, the owner/manager already wasted enough of my time, money. Just want others never sign a contract to drive a truck unless they are good people.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I realize there are bad owners out there, but there are three times as many bad drivers out there... they do not run vehicle as agreed.. they do not maintain vehicle.. they require more time off than required... get ticked off at owner and abandons vehicle... these are just a few of the problems that GOOD owners have to deal with.. kind of makes you a bit jaded..

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Believe it......

Pretty sure there are lots of drivers who don't and o course brokers ! Brokers can read but who want them to post more lies

hookertrash

Rookie Expediter
Yup there are a ton of bad drivers and nightmare drivers, this is where self discipline comes into play, example I know all owners are not bad and the good ones are very good that set excellent examples on how to conduct business and more than likely how to conduct ones personal life, they are most likely leaders in their community. Now that being said, I'm not jaded against owners nor will I be, the same goes for companies big or small. I worked for the big orange(Schneider energy),it was a new thing for them in energy,hauling sand, for companies like HAL,SLB,Baker, etc others worked over 1 yr even asked the main guy if they were serious about staying in the energy business, they fired or laid off all of the energy drivers about 3 mos later, we are talking very good jobs more than what some of these drivers were worth, it is what it is I met some great people there and am very grateful for the exp.

noneya

Active Expediter
Yeah, there are plenty of bad drivers, they should be put on blast as well.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
That's one of the biggest thing that scares me. That last job I took driving was for a company about a hour away from me. Hauling feed for a pretty well known company in TN and neighboring states. I quickly found out that they were expecting me to run 16-17 hours day. My 2nd day training, my drug test hadn't come back yet and the guy driving logged his 11 hours in on his paper, then logged me in to drive for another 5 1/2 hours to keep things legal. But he kept on driving. He was told to by the dispatcher. I told them I wasn't breaking the law for a paycheck, and they told me that if I wasn't going to do what they wanted, then there is the door. I'm wanna drive, but I also want a company that is not going to break the law to get more loads.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
From what I have heard from other owners it goes both ways, you have some bad owners no doubt but also you have so many drivers that always think the grass is greener somewhere else. They drive for a little while then they meet someone else and get to talking next thing you know they're gone. Sometimes they leave your truck in the middle of nowhere. I mean what do they have to lose it's not their truck. I believe when this happens to an owner enough it might cause him to be somewhat of a prick. Don't get me wrong I am not defending all owners their are some bad ones, but you have to think who's responsibility is it I mean the payments and expenses keep coming whether or not that truck is making money.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app