Wal-Mart credits a fuel additive mix

gojack

Expert Expediter
Anyone know what fuel additive mix they are using?
I have looked everywhere I can think of, with no luck.

Wal-Mart officials say their truck fleet is about 15 percent more fuel efficient today than it was when the company began a concerted fuel-saving campaign two years ago.

In a press release, company officials said they want the fleet to be 25 percent more fuel efficient by the end of 2008.

Wal-Mart credits a fuel additive mix, more fuel-efficient tires and the use of auxiliary power units for most of the fuel savings.

According to a company official, their trucks travel 900 million miles a year, meaning a one-mile-per-gallon improvement per truck can save as much as $50 million.

Landline Magazine

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would venture to guess that it is one of the products that they sell.

Power Service Line if I am not mistaken - I know it helps me when I remember to buy it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Power Service's Diesel Kleen got a significant boost when Wal-Mart officials said it contributed to a small improvement in fuel economy when tested in their fleet of more than 7,000 tractors. In 2005, Wal-Mart pledged to work with truck makers to double the fuel efficiency of its trucks from 6.5 miles per gallon on average to 13 miles per gallon within 10 years.

All Wal Mart will admit to currently is "a fuel additive mix" without naming exactly what it is. Might be Diesel Kleen, might not be. We will probably find out when Rich Ezell, Wal-Mart’s Senior Strategy Manager of Fuel, is the keynote speaker at 13th annual OPIS Fleet Fueling Conference and Exhibition at the Omni Mandalay Hotel in Dallas, September 9-11. He is scheduled to detail all the secrets, and lay out how other fleets can integrate the same strategies into the own trucks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Wal-Mart credits a fuel additive mix, more fuel-efficient
>tires and the use of auxiliary power units for most of the
>fuel savings.
>

I suspect that most of the most mentioned above is the apu with the additive and tires combined being a much smaller contributor than the apu. I used to use Power Service but switched to Howe's when I found I could get it for less than half the t/s price from a distributor. I get the same results and save 6.50 a bottle.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
OVM,

No I don't - in fact I haven't used anything in the Sprinter as of yet .... maybe I should though .......

I do use regular Power Service (white bottle) in the 275 gallon tank of off-road diesel that we have here for our tractor (agricultural tractor, that is) - mainly as a biocide to keep algae from growing in it, since it sits for long periods and doesn't get used as fast as the fuel in the Sprinter. (I put 150 gallons in that tank back in December and still probably have half of it left.) Have to say, that it has worked fine .... as we haven't had any fuel related problems in the three years I have been doing it.

BTW, was nice to have met you at the Expo and finally put a face to the screen name. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always been a little leery with additives...have to think on that..
cost vs benefit.

Yes very nice meeting you and turtle!!!:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use Howes. Power Service improves my fuel economy by exactly zero. FOr what it does, Power Service is great. It provided lubricity, disperses water, engine boost, etc., but Howes does all that with less ounces per tank, and has the added benefit of giving me better fuel mileage.

Howes Diesel Treat, the amber lookin' stuff in the clear half gallon bottle, says on the label:
Summer/Winter Formula
Diesel Conditioner
Anti Gel

That "Anti Gel" part is what makes many people not use it in the summer, cause, "What do I need anti gel for in the summer?"

As a result, Howes came up with Meaner Power Kleaner for people to use in the summer. But it's more than that.

The Diesel Treat is made for use in both summer and winter. Simply use more of it the colder it gets.
Summer - 2 oz per 25 gallons (1 oz to 12 gallons)
Winter -32F - 4 oz per 25 gallons (1 oz to 4 gallons)
Sub-Zero - 12 oz per 25 gallons (1 oz to 2 gallons)

Howes Diesel Treat is a general purpose treatment, much like all the others, except that instead of a cetane boost, which makes the fuel burn more completely, thereby burning up contaminants, Diesel Treat reduces the surface tension of the fuel at the dispersion point, allowing it to burn as completely as a cetane booster, without the added heat buildup of most cetane boosters.

It's a small distinction, but I believe an important one, since these turbo diesels already run hot, and the ULSD only makes them run hotter. For this reason, Howes recommends using 1 oz to 2 gallons at all times for cars and light duty trucks, which is the same as the formula for winter temperatures above zero degrees F. That's lots of lubricity and lots of efficient fuel burning, but that's a lot of additive, IMHO.

Some people want a cetane booster because they think they want more power (argh, argh, argh) without really knowing why the additional cetane matters. It's all about burning the fuel as completely as possible, and more cetane, being more energy per gallon, gives you that. These are the same people that faithfully watch the radar gun at baseball games, and think Greg Maddux is an over the hill hack 'cause he can't bring it.

1 oz to 2 gallons at all times seems overkill to me, but it will give these engines the added lubricity and completeness of fuel burning necessary, without adding the extra heat.

The Howes Meaner Power Kleaner is pretty much the same as the Diesel Treat except it's cleaning properties and lubricity properties are more concentrated. With the injectors on these Sprinter engines being what they are, you can't keep them too clean. Bottle says 8 oz for 60 gallons, which translates to 3.33 ounces for a 25 gallon tank (or 2 ounces for every 15 gallons). I have found that I get about 1 MPG improvement with 3-4 oz, and nearly 2 MPG with 6-8 ounces. But, there is a point of diminishing return if you use too much. It reaches a point where the MPG savings doesn't overcome the additional cost of the additive.

What I do, instead of the seemingly overkill of 1 oz per 2 gallons of Diesel Treat all the time, which will give the engine, fuel pump, etc., all the lubricity it needs, I put in a couple of ounces of Diesel Treat per 25 gallon tank, and about 4-6 ounces of Meaner Power Kleaner.

I just eyeball it, filling through a funnel. The bottle is marked, making relatively accurate amounts easy to figure out. A too few or too much of one or the other it doesn't matter that much. (Too much Power Service, though, and you'll see hit on your MPG.)

The Power Kleaner used to be relatively cheap at about $9 a bottle. Thanks to a massive promotion campaign, it's as high as $13 a bottle in some places. Don't buy it at those places. :) If I run into it at a high price, I'll skip it for a tankful or more until I can find it cheaper. I just adjust the amount of Diesel Treat I use in order to keep up the lubricity.

If I only have one or the other on hand (and I'm too lazy to go inside and buy what I don't have), it'll be the Power Kleaner, as it does all the stuff the Diesel Treat does, plus the more thorough cleaning of the injectors. In the colder winter months, however, I'm not likely to be without Diesel Treat. In the coldest of winter months, that's when I might use an actual cetane booster like Power service, to help with the fuel combustion at the colder temps.

But when I use both products, I find that I get between 1-2 MPG, a smoother and quieter engine, less smoke, and essentially no water in the fuel filter water separator. Power Service is a water separator, a de-emulsifier, which enables the fuel filter separator to capture the water where it can be drained off (or more easily frozen inside the filter hehe) or it simply settles to the bottom of the tank (great for big rigs, not so great for the Sprinter, at least, because of from where in the tank the fuel line draws the fuel). Diesel Treat is a water emulsifier, which essentially encapsulates the water molecules and burns them off in the combustion process. The Power Klean ensures that anything left behind in the steaming-off process from the water being burned off is cleaned out.

All the little things, de-emulsifiers versus emulsifiers water separation in the tank, and cetane boosters, etc., probably aren't all that big a deal in the larger diesel engines, but for car and light duty diesels, it can make a big difference, both long and short term.

Standyne, Power Service, Howes, many others, whatever your choose, you mainly want something that will get rid of the water in one way or the other, added lubricity especially with ULSD, and something that cleans. For my money, because of how picky the Sprinter is with fuel injectors, fuel filter, combustion heat and other factors, and the added fuel economy I get with it, the combination of the Diesel Treat and Power Klean seems to be the best solution for both the short term (fuel economy) and the long term (cleaner engine and injectors).

Your mileage may vary.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
my self i like aces II if you e mail me tell anybody how and why

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OVM, if you were to choose one product, I'd recommend 4 ounces or so of the Meaner Power Kleaner at all times where the temperatures are likely to be above freezing, and then use Howes Diesel Treat in sub-freezing temperatures.

Even then, I'd still recommend tossing in a few ounces of Power Kleaner every now and then during the winter, to keep those injectors clean.