verizon air card

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm starting to feel like a real expediter now,sitting here on detention time,reading EO,and posting some of my opinions,oh by the way,taking advantage of my Verizon,want to say air card,but is a USB thingy.
Think I'm going to check out some of the food places here in shopping center.See an American delli,Seafood and poor boy shop,and Kroger's ,where I'm getting paid to sit here

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome to the Online & OTR computer-wizard club. I find that the VZW PC5740, using the new downloaded VZ Access manager is the best yet. This is my older card, which I reverted back to after my PC5750 seemed to have died.
It was unsupported by VZW, and thus I laid it to rest. I personally think the cards are the best- they are inserted and out of the way, with no chance to bump them and snap off the USB in the port...

Just think: if the downloads are not too big, you can download "Streets and Trips" updates, "Drivers Daily Log" program, and a whole host of goodies. PS- Never use the card in Canada- you will get whacked big time with charges. If you go up there, find a Fifth Wheel- they have free wi-fi access...Have a nice day online- now you can search out other news sources than what you can learn from the posts here- ha, ha.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a USB aircard, plugged into a Belkin 4-port USB hub that's out of the way with no chance of it snapping off in the USB port. I don't use the VZ Access Manager much, since it's a resource hog and slows down the system, especially when there are a few dozen connections going on. Instead, I've just set up a regular DUN for the USB modem, #777 as the phone number, no username or password needed. If you are looking to use the aircard at a Starbucks or something using Verizon's WiFi, then you'll need to use the VZ Access Manager.

I also tether the Droid and use it at about a 2:1 clip over the Aircard.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sure. Just go to Internet Connections and set up a new dialup connection, selecting the broadband modem as the modem. No username or password needed. The phone number you use, I think, depends on which type of phone you use.
For most devices, try:
*99***1#

For Blackberries:
*99***2#

For Motorola and Samsung devices:
*99***3#

(I might have those last two reversed, Blackberries might be 3 and visa versa).

When setting it up initially, if you get an error that pops up saying the Internet connection cannot be made, tell it to set up the connection anyway. It'll work.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well it works. Thanks.

I've been having a problem with video and this card, I get the BSOD on some flash video and the error points to the driver from the app that runs the card.

Thanks again.

termite289

Expert Expediter
yup, you sound like a real expeditor now. lol
i use mine all the time to help alleviate the problem of electronic log books, by finding places that will deliver food to my truck, while sitting at shippers and receivers. cant leave and hungry.
nothing like having pizza or Chinese delivered to the truck in a small out of the way place.
when i arrive and am told, we are not sure when we are going to unload you. might be morning. and its only 20:00 well, that creates a problem. this helps solve it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't own apple products because I don't like the philosophy of the company when it comes down to development of applications, the distribution of those apps and the way the product is sold.

For stability I have Linux running at home, it is the base OS for Mac anyway and I can do so so much more with it. You never seen Mac crash?

The new one will be going in here soon enough but for now I have to deal with MS's gift to mankind - the BSOD

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we have the verizon mi-fi card. up to 5 computers on one hub. works well for two. the steel roofed j is a problem if you are inside the restaurant. the window seats work better.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm using the 760 USB thingy,I'm on a net book,as I blew up my lap top.Ive got streets and trips in here,but this video card wont support the 2010 updated version of S&T
I was going to put the 2010 in my pc at home and then transfer it to here,but like i said,video card will have to be replaced,if it can,don't know with a net book.
Got this net book really cheap,won't be out much it it blows up,LOL.