Van rule of thumb?

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
A couple years back expeditenow.com had a article on a driver who said when he change out major part (water pump, starter, brakes, ect) as a premaintenance. I am interested in opinions on this. Change out the
water pump when?
starter when?
brakes when?
fuel pump when?
transmission fluid when?
rear end fluid when?
tune up when?

anything else?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got 426,000 miles on my van:

water pump never
starter never
brakes front pads and rotors 377,000 miles
rear never
fuel pump never
transmission fluid every 150,000 miles
rear end fluid every 150,000 miles
tune up every 100,000 miles

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got 426,000 miles on my van:

water pump never
starter never
brakes front pads and rotors 377,000 miles
rear never
fuel pump never
transmission fluid every 150,000 miles
rear end fluid every 150,000 miles
tune up every 100,000 miles

When did you get a Sprinter?;):D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Routine maintenance items, like transmission fluid, engine oil & filters, rear end oil, coolant changes, tune-ups, air filters, those should all be changed according to what the manufacturer recommends.

Wearable parts like brakes should be replaced when they need it, as that's an easy one to inspect. Other wearable parts like water pumps, power steering pumps, master cylinders, alternators, fuel pumps, most parts guys at most dealers can give you a good idea of the average life of those parts, and you'd want to change them out around that time. Or, you'd at least want to have a cheaply obtained spare on hand in the truck in case it fails while you're on the road.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I have 6 vans. I change something just when I have to. I put syn oil every 10 000 miles and I change the air filter every 30-40.In rest ...nothing. I do not touch the transmission or the differencial.

Deville

Not a Member
When it breaks or it's close to breaking I fix it. I won't let somthing go to the point that it leaves me stranded. I do regular maintence in intervals when needed also.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
fluids are changed as recommended,and the rest are checked during service, I change brakes when the pads get to around 30% then I change everything pads,rotors and hardware, I put 1 waterpump on in 400,000 miles and change it when a small leak was found,and I change one starter when it started to act funny, the trans and rearend I fluid I change every 100,000 miles. and still found the trans to be the weak link as it was rebuilt twice.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
A couple years back expeditenow.com had a article on a driver who said when he change out major part (water pump, starter, brakes, ect) as a premaintenance. I am interested in opinions on this. Change out the
water pump when?
starter when?
brakes when?
fuel pump when?
transmission fluid when?
rear end fluid when?
tune up when?

anything else?

that was the story of mr. main event and the million mile van available on driver profiles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It's amazing that there is only a handful of million mile vans out there on the road and some are not even million milers.