Using Hair for a drug test

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Interesting that more came out with positive drug tests:

Transport Topics: C.R. England to Use Hair Samples as Part of Drug-Testing Partnership
C.R. England Inc. and Omega Laboratories Inc. announced a drug-screening partnership that will test the hair samples of truck driver applicants.
A trial program conducted by the Salt Lake City-based refrigerated carrier showed that of 2,000 candidates, more than 150 tested positive who would have otherwise passed a test under the current federally mandated urine-testing requirement.
More than 11% tested positive with hair testing, while only 2.8% tested positive with urine testing.
England said it will continue to conduct standard urine drug testing for all applicants as required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee whiz...I can envision a lot more bald applicants....

Wonder if the DOT will ever take notice of this....maybe we won't need that little bottle anymore...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
DOT must be taking notice of this as this is an accepted practice.

I for one would sure rather they use a lock of my hair.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
By operating under my own authority I can completely avoid drug testing. Yes, I have no worries that I can continue my practice of shooting heroin as I am driving down the freeway.

fired at you from my Droideka

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
They can take underarm hair or pubic hair for us bald guys

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It isn't surprising at all that more test positive. With the urine test someone can show clean in as little as 3 days. I think the length of hair they take show a past 3 month period. Something we could even see in the future is both urine and hair because using hair alone someone could have used a couple three days ago and it will not show up in the sample. I think I heard it takes something like a week for recent use to show in a hair sample/

Brisco

Expert Expediter
By operating under my own authority I can completely avoid drug testing.

Be careful with statements like this........

Operating under your "own authority" still makes you a "Carrier" operating under a DOT Authority.

YES, you do have to file paperwork proving that you are part of a "Drug and Alcohol Consortium" approved by the FMSCA, of which does include random drug testing by that consortium.

Just because you are operating as a 1 man, 1 truck, own authority trucking company, it does NOT mean you are exempt from Government Drug testing for CDL holders.

You should know this, having your own Authority and all.:rolleyes:

I say be careful with the statement you made cause others may be looking to get their own Authority here sooner or later to run out there on their own. If they took your advice and did not join an Alcohol and Drug Consortium, they could get shut down and fined when their first DOT Audit takes place.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
And I'm all for "Hair Testing" when it comes to testing for drug use.

It is more accurate and does detect traces of drug use further back in ones history.

More "Courts" and "Penal Facilities" (prisons) are using Hair Testing nowadays due to the accuracy this testing provides.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
It isn't surprising at all that more test positive. With the urine test someone can show clean in as little as 3 days. I think the length of hair they take show a past 3 month period. Something we could even see in the future is both urine and hair because using hair alone someone could have used a couple three days ago and it will not show up in the sample. I think I heard it takes something like a week for recent use to show in a hair sample/

My drug test consisted of urine, hair and then both repeated a week later when I hired into a hospital data center...so the future arrived in 2002 in some occupations.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

hossfly2

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
If you are standing next to a user and smoke gets in your hair, and then tested , with out washing hair will it show??

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are standing next to a user and smoke gets in your hair, and then tested , with out washing hair will it show??

Everything that you INGEST shows up in your hair. It makes NO difference if you take that substance into your body by breathing, eating, drinking or injecting it. These tests are not looking at surface residue.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everything that you INGEST shows up in your hair. It makes NO difference if you take that substance into your body by breathing, eating, drinking or injecting it. These tests are not looking at surface residue.

They do set minimum standards though, if a level shows up under a certain amount it will not come up as a positive test. So called contact ingesting will most likely be under legal thresholds and will not fail a person.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They do set minimum standards though, if a level shows up under a certain amount it will not come up as a positive test. So called contact ingesting will most likely be under legal thresholds and will not fail a person.

I am sure that is correct. It still has to be ingested. Not just surface residue.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I still [and always will] resent having to prove my innocence by submitting to drug testing - but that said, the hair test would be less disagreeable.
Oh wait - unless it is much more expensive and I'm paying for it. ;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I still [and always will] resent having to prove my innocence by submitting to drug testing - but that said, the hair test would be less disagreeable.
Oh wait - unless it is much more expensive and I'm paying for it. ;)

I agree. I find the entire idea of drug testing AND background checks for firearms purchases offensive. They fly in the face of our rights of being innocent until being proven guilty AND there is the little issue of no self incrimination.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Dear Patron,

Prior to your next check arriving, the provider class has demanded that, (you), the recipent class, submit to a hair analysis for your use of illegal drugs.

Thank you kindly,

Your Welfare Department.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dear elected official,

Prior to your next check arriving, the provider class has demanded that, (you), the recipent class, submit to a hair analysis for your use of illegal drugs.

Thank you kindly,

Your employers, the taxpayers.

NAN: yours is ok, but I like this version better. After all, who screwed this country up worse?