using a larger generator

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am telling you cooling down HOT Sheetmetal of a van is not easy...and it radiates heat into the van as it gets hotter...even if you just bought a few rolls of the foil back bubble insulation that is better then nothing and it is not pricy and your owner shouldn't complain..just use 3m spray glueto hold it in place...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I am telling you cooling down HOT Sheetmetal of a van is not easy...and it radiates heat into the van as it gets hotter...even if you just bought a few rolls of the foil back bubble insulation that is better then nothing and it is not pricy and your owner shouldn't complain..just use 3m spray glueto hold it in place...

I like using pop rivets myself :eek::rolleyes:
Seroiusly though if it not your van ask owner first and try to find a glue/adhesive that is removable it's out there

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Without question a diesel generator would be far better out here than a gasoline generator. They're bullet-proof and last forever, or at least forever in expediting terms. Gas generators aren't meant for continuous duty use, or even the kind of punishment we put them through out here in expediting. Most are designed to last a few hundred hours, and good ones like the Hondas and Yamahas will last considerably more, while diesel generators are designed to last many thousands of hours, hundreds of thousands of hours in most cases. Even the price, while a lot initially, really isn't the barrier, since it's a one-time payment for something that lasts a really long time (if you get a good one, that is). But in a van, there's the significant problem with the weight of a diesel generator, plus where to have it mounted for easy access and maintenance. In a straight truck or a tractor, a diesel generator is a no-brainer, but it gets much more complicated in a van.

If there was room, and it was light enough, I'd have gotten an Onan diesel generator a long time ago. The $5000 price tag didn't phase me, but the weight and dimensions did, at least for a Sprinter, which already has a diesel fuel tank so a diesel generator would be the ideal. If I still had an E-350, I'd still be very, very tempted to mount an Onan under the carriage, even with the hassles of oil changes (although the maintenance on a diesel generator is far less frequent and time consuming than it is on a gasoline generator).

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
well my Honda takes a lickin and still purrs after nearly 4 years out here....I can't imagine the hours it has on it....it owes me nothing...the money saved is, well impossible to know...just the savings of not getting a motel room...not even the wear and tear on my Sprinter of not idling...we sprinter guys invested in an expensive van so why not go all the way...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
well my Honda takes a lickin and still purrs after nearly 4 years out here....I can't imagine the hours it has on it....it owes me nothing...the money saved is, well impossible to know...just the savings of not getting a motel room...not even the wear and tear on my Sprinter of not idling...we sprinter guys invested in an expensive van so why not go all the way...

and you say my cats cost too much...*LOL*

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Anybody ever tried a Ramsond inverter generator? Never heard of them before today. The one beside me is a 3500, but I'd probably go for the 2500.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I haven't priced them in years, so the $5000 was a rough ballpark. Depends on the size. I think a $5000 diesel is either 3000 or 5000 Watts, can't remember. Still, no good place to mount it, at least on my Sprinter. And having a diesel van, I'd prefer a diesel generator if I were to mount it.

transporter

Expert Expediter
i am deciding on getting a bigger honda or onan gas generator.
anybody buy a onan lately. how much and and how loud is a onan

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
here are a couple e-1 guys and their solutions. the single pic on a chev 3500 is i think 5k watts. it powers everything in the van. on a cold jan day in mich we never saw these folks at the e-1 bldg except when they showered or used the heads.

001-1.jpg

gencarrieronsprinter001.jpg

gencarrieronsprinter002.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That big white box is one big deer guard for sure...I don' care for the fact it covers much of the air intake for the van..the AC condenser and turbo cooler is directly behind the box....
My preferred choice would be on the rear with a swing out pivot for loading..

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few possible modifications maybe ? Maybe 2 help air flow,lower about 4 inches on bracket and on metal white box make about 4 tubes 3inches in size ( diam. ) two on each side of generator to help let AIR through. I 've been toying with different ideas but first have be able to buy a sprinter (lol) . :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
That big white box is one big deer guard for sure...I don' care for the fact it covers much of the air intake for the van..the AC condenser and turbo cooler is directly behind the box....
My preferred choice would be on the rear with a swing out pivot for loading..

I think your little, quiet Honda is the best option

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd be more concerned with disrupting the air flow to the engine compartment. When it's 114 in the desert, I'd be concerned.

My Gawd..Star and I are thinking alike....
There is no way an engine can get the right amount of air with a front set-up of nearly any kind...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about that airflow thing. :p

A long time ago in another galaxy there was a group of people who worked for this company call General Motors. It was a fantasy company that actually engineered vehicles and tested them without government money.

Once they decided in the 1950's to test out their cooling systems by not just running the cars on hot days in that futuristic city of Detroit but to actually drive them out to a desert and test them out there.

They did all kinds of tests, one of them was to put things on the front of the vehicles to block the air. In the 1960's it was tires mounted to the grill of their pickup trucks. They found that even with restriction to the air flow, their cooling system worked even in 120 degree heat.

I would think that there would be higher temps but not running hot if the unit was mounted a bit farther away from the grill. Isn't there a fan on these things?