using a hidden cell phone to track equipment

termite289

Expert Expediter
it is just a thought, after reading that the same woman has stolen two cargo vans from fleet owners in the last few months. some cell pones have gps. would it be possible to run a hidden cigarette lighter plug behind the interior panels, and plug a cell phone up with a car charger that the driver could not get to. after the initial phone purchase, it would cost like 9 bucks a month for the extra line, and of course you could have the drivers bring it by periodically for a "owner care check" where you want to keep a check on your equipment. at which time one could make sure the phone was still on, and operational.
I think one could add the cell # to the truck info, in your fleet records. if the driver ever did "borrow" your equipment, and the qc wasn't working because the battery had been removed from the truck, the cell phone battery should last a day or two, after it goes missing.
maybe i'm being a bit nuts, but my wild imagination is just playing around with this one. after all, if someone is going to steal a van, they want to be able to call their friends from where ever they park at, which should make sure the phone has cell service. just remember to put that phone on silent, no vibration so that an accidental wrong number doesn't tip off any unsuspecting drivers at the wrong time.
just my jug headed idea. what do you think. cheaper than lowjack.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would work until she found the phone and started making calls to all her friends and family in Tierra del Fuego.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
You can actually buy gps trackers that are hard wired in, and or solar powered with a battery back up to track your vehicle real time. The units that I use are "Sleeping" until movement wakes them up. I can track the activity on my lap top and also emergency ping the unit if needed.

Be careful, there are laws that govern the use of these tools.
Always check with an attorney first. Having a cell phone that has audible capabilities, whether disabled or not, may be a federal offense, when used for the purpose of eaves dropping and tracking.

Scott

termite289

Expert Expediter
never thought of it being illigal to tack your own property. but now days, i supose anything is possible. ohh well, it was just a thoght anyway.

termite289

Expert Expediter
ok ever mind, this was just because two different fleet owners had their vans stolen, or vandalized by the same woman in 2 mnths. the ability to locate your equipment quickly would surly save you money in the long run. it had nothing to do with wanting to peek at anyone. how it went off onto somthing weird is beyond me.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Termite: I thought it was a good idea, actually, especially if it catches lowlifes like the one we just heard about.
Don't let Moot bug you - taking it off into the weird zone is what he does, and it's generally pretty funny (though sometimes he gets so weird I don't catch it either - I really believed he was raising chinchillas for awhile :eek:)
Still, he's part of what makes EO the best, IMO, so hang around and join in the fun when you can, ok?

Saturnista

Seasoned Expediter
One word, from past law enforcement experience....

LOJACK!!!!!!

great fast recovery record, great warranty, not illegal in any state if you own or lease the vehicle, adds resale value, one time up front cost, no monthly fees (although they recommend you get it serviced and checked once every year or two), and if you don't mind a monthly fee, they have a pro level where you can real time track your vehicle on the internet, anytime, anywhere, the pro level also offers the ability to email, sms, or call you if your vehicle moves from it's parked location, or moves to an area you advise it to notify you of (like crossing state lines), or goes above a preset by you speed.

RTOspeedwagn

Seasoned Expediter
I saw where Google has a tracking program that maps cell locations available to anyone with the password. Dont remember what its called. Anybody on this forum using it?

wellarmed

Not a Member
Maybe finding out a little about who your putting in your vehicle before you actualy do it would help. Most of your fleet owners will put the first tom,dick or harry that comes along in there truck or van just to get it moveing then when a good person or persons come along its to trashed to land them.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thermite, I apologize for setting you off with the spy cam thing. That site did have several GPS location devices though!

Another option is the Trunk Monkey. This anti-theft device has been on the market for several years and has a proven track record. I'm sure it could be modified to work in a van in conjunction with the QualComm. It may also require an inexpensive software upgrade.

Trunk MonkeyVideo

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The problem is that the fleet owner needs to do their Due Diligence in order to ensure that they can trust the person(s) in the thing in the first place. Too many people think a hand shake and a "go for it" does the trick now a days.

SJMagic

Seasoned Expediter
Thermite, I apologize for setting you off with the spy cam thing. That site did have several GPS location devices though!

Another option is the Trunk Monkey. This anti-theft device has been on the market for several years and has a proven track record. I'm sure it could be modified to work in a van in conjunction with the QualComm. It may also require an inexpensive software upgrade.

Trunk MonkeyVideo

I loved those series of commercials during the super bowl, good advertising for that company