Used tires can save money

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Folks, thank you for your inputs. More opinions are appreciated.

For many good reasons, I too, would recommend the new tires over the used tires. And, under certain circumstances, I personally, would also feel comfortable to purchase the used tires.

IMHO, If you have to get the used tires, you have to know and understand tires. There are plentiful amount of good used tires at a bargain price out there. Just got to shop around a little bit.

A few days ago with no load on board, I had a rear tire blown out. Most likely from an underinflated and slow air leaks. Tried to get air, but the truck stop air compressor was down. It was 20 psi below the recommendation. I figured I can get to the next truck stop without a problem.

Wrong! Lol..

Now the fun part, aside from a blown tire, 2 front tires were partially shaved due to out of the alignments. I need to replace all 3 tires.

After what is said and done, the 3 new tires will cost close to $600.

The next day, after the visit to two used tires shops. I made the purchases after thourough inspections of the tires and felt confident that the tires were safe enough to do the job. Thread were at 95%, 65% and 60% The total cost was $160. All were Firestone Transforce HT.

My take, I chose to buy the used tires this time because of the cost and the right circumstances.

Out of alignment? Whens the last time you had it aligned/checked? Goodyear has an alignment package good for 3 years. Meaning you can go to any Goodyear and have your vehicle aligned 3 times a week if you so feel the need FREE of charge & while they're under there they also inspect thoroughly your chassis components for any issues again FREE of charge built into this package.

As I stated in my post above, its an "INVESTMENT" in quality of product & thorough maintenance on these vehicles that gets the best results.

Now that you have your "Used" tires & you said above they're all the "SAME" exact brand/model tire, yea? Go to a Discount Tire & ask to have those tires warrantied, I "Think" its like $20 some a piece to have them warrantied? So even though you did not buy them at Discount Tire they will warranty them pending condition of said tires. Anything from repairs of nails in tires, sidewall bubble or any other road condition to the tire, We even had them replace FREE of charge a tire due to a sidewall bubble via using this "after purchase" warranty.

Good luck man!

Reactions: TDave

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would you put a used air filter in a new engine? Orrrrrrr Used Oil for that matter? Its an investment in your long term end goal. Do you wanna strengthen or weaken your chances financially?
Good point Tim. I must admit that I am guilty for re-using the same K&N air filter for the last 2 years. But I did give it a shower every 3 weeks, Lol.. Ya I drove that much.

As far as the oil, yep your advice is as good as gold. Changed as scheduled.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Out of alignment? Whens the last time you had it aligned/checked? Goodyear has an alignment package good for 3 years. Meaning you can go to any Goodyear and have your vehicle aligned 3 times a week if you so feel the need FREE of charge & while they're under there they also inspect thoroughly your chassis components for any issues again FREE of charge built into this package.

As I stated in my post above, its an "INVESTMENT" in quality of product & thorough maintenance on these vehicles that gets the best results.

Now that you have your "Used" tires & you said above they're all the "SAME" exact brand/model tire, yea? Go to a Discount Tire & ask to have those tires warrantied, I "Think" its like $20 some a piece to have them warrantied? So even though you did not buy them at Discount Tire they will warranty them pending condition of said tires. Anything from repairs of nails in tires, sidewall bubble or any other road condition to the tire, We even had them replace FREE of charge a tire due to a sidewall bubble via using this "after purchase" warranty.

Good luck man!
Hey that's a good info. I just got the alignment done. But I will check with Goodyear on the alignment package. Awesome bro!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I replace my tires at 5/32 , I have a friend that take my tires and runs them on his old truck

Reactions: Mailer

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Never skimp on tires or batteries.

Used tires can make sense in some cases. It really depends on whether you view your tires as an asset or a consumable.

Incidentally, K&N air filter + turbocharger = sandblaster.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D

Reactions: brokcanadian

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Good point Tim. I must admit that I am guilty for re-using the same K&N air filter for the last 2 years. But I did give it a shower every 3 weeks, Lol.. Ya I drove that much.

As far as the oil, yep your advice is as good as gold. Changed as scheduled.

I thought that was one of the main things about k&n filters? That you could re-use them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I thought that was one of the main things about k&n filters? That you could re-use them.
You can, which is great. And more airflow means more power! (except it doesn't).

If you think about it, just using common sense, the less restrictive oil filters allow more airflow, and thus more particles, through the filter, while the more restrictive filters let fewer particles, and air, through to the engine. The most common particle allowed to pass though the less restrictive filters is the most common mineral on the planet, silica. It's everywhere. It's in the food you eat, the water you drink, and the air you breath. Sand is made from silica. Put silica into a turbocharger and it becomes literally a sandblaster.

The fine anal folks at the TDI Forum have all the data, and made the initial discovery and link between K&N filters (and similar) and the sandblasting effect. The nearly as anal Bob's the Oil Guy has a writeup worth reading. And over at the NICO Club there is a post that K&N would really rather just go away (their responses over the years have ranged from pleading to outright anger).

K&N addressed the issue in the FAQ without actually addressing the issue, in hilarious "PR Speak."

Look closely at the question...

24. More airflow means you are letting more dirt through, right?

No. Filtration testing measures the percentage of dust retained before the filter reaches a terminal test pressure, often 10" of restriction above initial restriction. We use airflow as a simplified term to explain a more complicated physical process. The more precise description is restriction: K&N air filters create less restriction which helps an engine run better. An engine will only use the air it needs and our air filters do not result in an engine using more air than necessary. Rather, they result in the engine experiencing less restriction. The terms airflow and restriction are inversely related. Our air filters provide either less restriction at a fixed airflow rate; or more airflow as a fixed level of restriction. In neither case is more air being used than necessary.

Notice how they didn't even address the question of letting more dirt through at all, other than a terse "no." Instead they say 'our filters don't flow more air than necessary.' What a hoot. Apparently, we're supposed to believe that air, air, and only air, is what passes through a less-restrictive K&N filter. The problem is, independent tests using strict ISO testing methods show otherwise.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are correct. I was just poking at Tim, Lol.. I had the same K&N filter for about 2 years now. Trapped dirts and other particles can be cleaned with special cleaner and rinsed off with water. After the filter dried you spray some pink gooey sticky stuff on it to help trap more dusts, dirts, birds, or whatever that could enter your air intake. That what I meant by giving it a shower.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never skimp on tires or batteries.

Used tires can make sense in some cases. It really depends on whether you view your tires as an asset or a consumable.

Incidentally, K&N air filter + turbocharger = sandblaster.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D

Hey Turtle, wouldn't that helps clean out the carbon deposit on the valves. Just kidding, Lol..

Turtle, I personally would like to thank you for all the good information that you have posted over the years for us on these forums. We are greatly appreciated for those countless hours that you have contributed in researching to make sure that we get the correct information and facts so that we can make better choice and more effective decision.

At the end, you are always right. Lol...

Thank you Turtle ! :D

guido4475

Not a Member
Folks, thank you for your inputs. More opinions are appreciated.

For many good reasons, I too, would recommend the new tires over the used tires. And, under certain circumstances, I personally, would also feel comfortable to purchase the used tires.

IMHO, If you have to get the used tires, you have to know and understand tires. There are plentiful amount of good used tires at a bargain price out there. Just got to shop around a little bit.

A few days ago with no load on board, I had a rear tire blown out. Most likely from an underinflated and slow air leaks. Tried to get air, but the truck stop air compressor was down. It was 20 psi below the recommendation. I figured I can get to the next truck stop without a problem.

Wrong! Lol..

Now the fun part, aside from a blown tire, 2 front tires were partially shaved due to out of the alignments. I need to replace all 3 tires.

After what is said and done, the 3 new tires will cost close to $600.

The next day, after the visit to two used tires shops. I made the purchases after thourough inspections of the tires and felt confident that the tires were safe enough to do the job. Thread were at 95%, 65% and 60% The total cost was $160. All were Firestone Transforce HT.

My take, I chose to buy the used tires this time because of the cost and the right circumstances.

Although Firestone makes an excellent tire, the "HT", or known as highway tread, is not that great of a tire in the deep water or snow. The better choice of the Transforce tire family would be the "AT" transforce, known as the "all terrain" tire. More agressive, deeper tread with wider separation between the blocks which does, make more noise, but I'd rather have noise and performance than quietness and lack of peace of mind. The picture is my Transforce AT with over 20k miles on them. An excellent, strong tire. Akso, the way to check how old a tire is, when it was made, is to look at the 4 numbers inside the oval along the bead of the tire. These numbers shown indicate that my tire was made on the 46th week of 2015. (4615).

Attachments

• 1471189676515.jpg
    1471189676515.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1471189716956.jpg
    1471189716956.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 18

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good info, thank you guido. Used tires, if you decided to get them, I believe the recommendation was, that it should not be more than 6 years old.

guido4475

Not a Member
I've alway run new tires while in this business, both straight and van. Tried recaps once. Goodyear unicircle. One tire came apart in the first week. Went back to Goodyear and took them off and bought new Virgin drives. Never again. The van? I run them to just before the wear bars, buy new ones, and sell the old tires for 200 to 250 for all 4. And they sell quickly. The construction workers back home eat them up.

Reactions: Mailer and TDave

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The appliance delivery guys dig through our mountain of used tires and basically the only thing they leave behind are blowouts and racing slicks.

I stopped by to look at one of the trucks the other day and was cut by the wire sticking out of the steer tire. Not the faintest bit of tread left. This was on a 2006 International 4300.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got this funny thought after looking at geo's post:

Mailer bought the new set of tires.

Mailer gave tires to a friend @5/32.

Mailer's friend now has the used tires.

If Mailer kept the tires, then he has the used tires.

After a few thousands miles on the new set of tires, we are all running on the used tires.

Mailer now is complicating the simple. Lol....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got this funny thought after looking at geo's post:

Mailer bought the new set of tires.

Mailer gave tires to a friend @5/32.

Mailer's friend now has the used tires.

If Mailer kept the tires, then he has the used tires.

After a few thousands miles on the new set of tires, we are all running on the used tires.

Mailer now is complicating the simple. Lol....

Have you been talking to Ovm .... :p