US Express Suprises Drivers

miker

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure exactly where this should be posted , so if need be please place it in the correct forum.
Just an idea of what is going on in the general trucking industry

Well The Hammer has begun to drop. U.S. Xpress has decided in their infinite wisdom, to start FORCING drivers to team. I had a great load this morning, that was gonna be an 800 mile run, and was routed 42 miles away after picking the load up. I was told that I had to come to the terminal for a "Special Meeting". What a crock of crap.

I dropped my load and went inside and was brought into the Terminal Managers office. First, he wanted to explain that I hadn't done anything wrong. (which I already knew, but okay.) But however, I was informed after working there for quite a while as a Solo Driver, that today was my last day as a Solo. I had two choices. I could become a Team Driver, and drive with someone that I don't know at all, and who knows what kind of personality conflicts I have with the person. Or, I can Lease a truck. Are those my only options with the company? Yes. Okay then I take option three. Which is? Get Me a ticket out of here.

U.S. Xpress is bringing drivers into the terminal with no warning or anything, and giving them the option to, team, lease or quit. On the Spot. Who cares how much stuff they have in their truck and what they are going to do with all the stuff that won't fit into a bag. Even though they could tell the driver, okay, you didn't do anything wrong so we are going to give you the option. You can team, lease or resign. We understand that not everyone is prepared to team, and also may not want the financial responsibility of Leasing a Truck. If you decide to resign, we will get you a load going near your home, so you can clean out your truck, and then Turn the truck into the nearest terminal.

But No. Its simply lease, team, or have a nice day. I am currently sitting in a Bus Terminal on my way home. I had a load this morning. (What a different a day makes) So even though I have been runnin my tail off, There is no freight for a solo driver. hmmphfff, that seems odd.

U.S. Xpress is also putting Hold on Hiring, due to they have over 300 students already sitting at home, waiting for an available trainer. Once, they get a trainer, they go out, and when they finish training, they HAVE to team with someone. It's just a sad sad world in the Realms of U.S. Xpress.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry, I should clarify that the " I " in here is not me. It came from a driver of US Express

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow that is amazing and scary!

I wonder what will happen with all of the guys that ride with their wives? Lots of those solo trucks have a passenger with them.

Last edited:

miker

Seasoned Expediter
yes, very scary. This is just completely unethical, and this is not the only case that I have heard on this subject with US Express in the last week

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What to mean is interesting is they know that most of their solo people will quit or they will get into a lease purchase and not be able to afford the trucks and lose them. Odd way of cutting back your fleet.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well look at the classifieds on here - there is rarely a posting looking for a solo driver, mostly ads asking for someone to team with their current solo driver. I'm a soloist, always have been and will be. Who in the right mind is going to go get into a truck with a complete stranger, living in 4' x 4' box and drive? The only exception to that is training, but that is only for a few weeks and you know the other driver know his stuff, or should at least.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It sucks for the solos but it's understandable from the company perspective. That doubles the revenue generating potential per unit with no additional capital cost for equipment. Potentially they can cover the same loads with less rolling stock. As much as I'd like to be able to consider everyone a potential driver I can't afford to have anything but teams. I can and do empathize with the operators but I can't blame the company.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
The magicoen is right on spot..........read the classifieds and see where expedited is headed. Strictly teams.
I've asked quite few solo drivers if their owners are looking for another driver. They all say the same thing. The owners want teams.
I"m not sure if it's the way the industry is headed or more like the way the gov't. is steering it. With the way the supposedly 'safer' hours of service are now.
Most expedite companies even restrict the van drivers to so many miles/day. That leads to a team in a van if you want to make any decent money. Can you imagine a team in a van if it isn't 'same family'????
I also am a solo driver.......Always have been, always will be I guess. I just can't relax or sleep with someone else driving. And if your in the jump seat, like it or not, your on duty!!! Probably why I'm on the sidelines watching the game right now instead of out on the field playing the game!! :(
I curious to see how some of these 'teams' are going to react when they get alot of 'solo driver' load offers. They'll all be screaming at dispatch on how their a team and need 'team miles'!!
oh well, just my 2 cents worth

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I agree that from a company stand point it is more profitable to run teams but the way that they are doing is what is so wrong, if they were to actually have a meeting stating that they are going to need to change their business model and here is how it has to be and for those drivers that just don't see their self fitting into that then we as a company understand that, but the now or never approach is just flat out wrong, and anyone of the drivers who thinks that once they go to a team or a lease thinks " oh good got that outta the way, now my job is safe now " they better think again and have a n open bus pass set up with greyhound that can be used from anywhere , because if the company dosen't see the new model being profitable for them then they will just cut'em loose again

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Re: US Express Surprises Drivers

I dare say there is not a transportation company out there who would not love to be a "teams only" operation. The reasons are obvious.Straight through with no breaks, no limitation from 11 hr/14hr.

In the real world, they can rarely pull it off. Teams are hard to find.Sooner or later management starts to worry about the shortage of trucks running, and come back to the idea of picking up the load and transferring, or relaying.

Maybe if they pay teams well enough they can pull it off. Time will tell.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Re: US Express Surprises Drivers

For the most part I think that it will change back at USX as soon as the economy picks up.

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
I have a friend who is teaming with his wife in a cargo van now that his company will not allow solo drivers in cargo vans to drive more than 16 hours a day. You want to know what he grossed last year. Well, he grossed the same amount of money that he once grossed as a solo driver back in 2005 before all of the crazy swap rules and restrictions were imposed on him. So, he has grossed exactly the same amount of money that he grossed as a solo (which basically means he is covering the exact same loads now as a team that he once covered as a solo) and he is spending twice the amount of money on road expelses.

This paradigm shift towards teams is not going to wash! That is unless companies can find older retired couples who are willing to team with one another (or husband and wife teams where the wife does not actually drive and is just there as a premanent fixture). Then the companies can deal with all the old retired coots who do not want to drive at night and like to take weeks off in between runs. But as far as the "real drivers" they are going to have to find a better way to keep us busy under the new hours of service. If not, I can see a large number of drivers banding together to create their own companies to shove a thorn up the sphincters of the bigger carriers.

Look, people, there's a simple solution to all of this madness. The bigger companies need to run local routes "even for expedite." You pick up a 2000 mile load in Chicago and run it to kentucky and swap out with a team truck or another solo who then goes on to move it a few hundred miles down the road. Then you wait there for a load coming into chicago and you swap out and take that one on in to the consignee. I'm pretty sure our comanies can create some sort of relay system that will allow "solo" drivers to remain profitable. I am a former OTR truck driver and I can personally attest to the fact that teaming in a big truck is not as easy as it looks. There are also way too many "cowboy type loons" like myself who would never "in their right mind" go to sleep in the bunk/coffin while some other guy is behind the wheel. Sorry, chaps, but i'm not the undertaker, nor am I Harry Houdini. Simply because I do not have any tricks to pull out of my hat when the truck is headed down a steep embankment while i'm tangled up in net like a dying fish.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Dodgeboy, I kinda resent that remark. I am NOT an old "COOT" an old "Greater Scaup" maybe, but not an old coot. (a very lame waterfowlers joke) Layoutshooter

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with many of the other observations. Freight rates, liability, combined with the HOS are pushing many companies out of providing solo opportunities.
Just turns into the cost can't justify the means. May not be ethical, but many of these companies are loosing money and likely can't afford to delay any type of change.
Pretty much the reason they are leasing a truck out. They are either passing the cost, and or hoping they can turn a profit through the lease rather than from hauling freight.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Then the companies can deal with all the old retired coots who do not want to drive at night and like to take weeks off in between runs.

Because I do not have any tricks to pull out of my hat when the truck is headed down a steep embankment while i'm tangled up in net like a dying fish.

I am old and retired, but I drive at night. I like to take weekends off, too. But don't if there is work to do.

Heaven forbid you ever go down an embankment, but if you do, Maybe that comment ("old retired coots") will flash before you.
Ha! Ha!

Last edited:

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
LMAO!! Now how did I know the statement "old retired coots" would raise an uproar!!! :)

All you 'old retired coots' that are driving out there, relax a little, sit back and smile......

You'd think that some of these companies would use UPS as a model. Truck from hub to hub, have local trucks doing the deliveries. Works for them, no reason it can't work for others.
In today's world all that matters is the bottom line, plain and simple. You either change with the times or your thrown by the side. BUT, there are ways to do things and ways not to. It's called deceny and respect. You'd think a company would have the decency to do it the right way, like previously stated. Schedule a meeting, explain the how's and why's then let the people effected make a decision. I wonder how a companies ''upper echelon" would like it if they were given the same ultimatum.........."We're combining offices and you have to share an office with whomever we give you,
if you don't like that, we can lease an office to you to do the same job for us. IF you decide to 'lease' from us, a desk, chair, computer, phone/fax, and supplies will be offered to you, at a reasonable price. YOU will be responsible for all maintenance, fees, etc. If at any time you fall behind in your lease payments you will be terminated. Let it be known though that our 'team offices' will be taken care of first".
If you don't like these 'choices', you know where the door is"