Unions: People not lining up to join unions?

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I keep hearing how great Unions are my question if they are so great and beneficial why do they have to force people to join and force people to pay union dues?? Seems like if Unions are so great and good millions of people would be in line demanding to join unions but in fact union membership in the private sector has been in decline the only unions seeing growth is GOvt unions

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
Unions had their day...now they are a thorn in the country. Not to mention their corrupt leadership being a thorn in our government as well. Just say NO!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I keep hearing how great Unions are my question if they are so great and beneficial why do they have to force people to join and force people to pay union dues??

You really can't figure that out all by yourself? Ok, here's a clue: if half the employees of a place join and pay dues, can the union negotiate benefits [you know, like the 5 day workweek, overtime pay, etc] for only the union members?
Of course not - so why should those who chose not to pay reap the rewards?

Seems like if Unions are so great and good millions of people would be in line demanding to join unions but in fact union membership in the private sector has been in decline the only unions seeing growth is GOvt unions

There's many reasons for that - some legitimate [the really powerful unions are as corrupt as the powerful corporations they originally fought against] but some have more to do with perception, driven by PR, bought & paid for by those whose interests don't align with the unions, and intimidation of workers by corporations [ie WalMart]. People can't afford to antagonize their employers these days - if the company makes it known that they don't want the unions, few workers will risk it.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's many reasons for that - some legitimate [the really powerful unions are as corrupt as the powerful corporations they originally fought against] but some have more to do with perception, driven by PR, bought & paid for by those whose interests don't align with the unions, and intimidation of workers by corporations [ie WalMart]. People can't afford to antagonize their employers these days - if the company makes it known that they don't want the unions, few workers will risk it.

IE Walmart? Come on there is not an intelligent person on this planet that really believes the propaganda against walmart.... They are the largest employer in the world.. do they have some jerks working for them? DUHHHH of course.. do a few rogue jerks dictate policy again common sense..... geezzzzz

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There's not an intelligent person on this planet who can't figure out that the largest employer in the world can afford to buy a lot of PR, too. :rolleyes:

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's not an intelligent person on this planet who can't figure out that the largest employer in the world can afford to buy a lot of PR, too. :rolleyes:

obviously they can't buy enough "PR" to overcome the abundance of nonsense that people with an agenda to make walmart out to be a bad company buy!! And unfortunately there are plenty of people willing to accept the occasional bad egg story as policy and practice.. Walmart donates and does more good in communities they are part of, than most other large corps.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Can't stand Walmart, other than their cheap fun-size Snickers, boxed Red Hots and Sour Skittles, 8 packs of burritos, and large size hot Pace picante sauce. Other than that...

peopleofwalmart-4.jpg

23348_477594642297232_1599915409_n.jpg

people-of-wal-mart-and-parenting..jpeg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Walmart pays on par with most big retailers in their market like Kmart or target. All major retailers hirer mostly part time. Walmart is just the in one for people to bash these days.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
WalMart bashing isn't au courant - it's peaked years ago, after which the PR efforts kicked in.
Since they discovered the general public's distaste for many of their policies & practices, they learned their lesson: let the people see the pretty [made up] face, not the barenaked one.
:rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
obviously they can't buy enough "PR" to overcome the abundance of nonsense that people with an agenda to make walmart out to be a bad company buy!! And unfortunately there are plenty of people willing to accept the occasional bad egg story as policy and practice..

WM is widely known to be aggressively anti union - it's not an occasional 'bad egg', it is the core of their being.

Walmart donates and does more good in communities they are part of, than most other large corps.

First they run the 'little guys' [bakeries, florists, drugstores, hardware, newspapers] out of business by undercutting prices [which will go up after people get used to shopping at WM], then they do whatever good works brings the biggest tax deduction, and the best publicity.
Like, say, hiring vets. Wanna bet there isn't some tax 'incentive' involved?
:confused:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First they run the 'little guys' [bakeries, florists, drugstores, hardware, newspapers] out of business by undercutting prices [which will go up after people get used to shopping at WM], then they do whatever good works brings the biggest tax deduction, and the best publicity.

Where is your proof they raise prices after supposedly shutting down competition? My town of less than 17 thousand people has no less than 5 pharmacies, 3 groceries, 3 florists, 3 bakeries 2 hardware stores and a newspaper despite Walmart being there for at least 25 years.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WalMart bashing isn't au courant - it's peaked years ago, after which the PR efforts kicked in.
Since they discovered the general public's distaste for many of their policies & practices, they learned their lesson: let the people see the pretty [made up] face, not the barenaked one.
:rolleyes:

The general public has made Walmart what it is. I highly doubt it is they who have a problem. Like with most things it is the minority that makes the most noise.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My proof is my own experience. [Yes, I usually shop at WM, because it's the most convenient in a truck.]
I am a careful shopper - I read labels, and choose the best product from among the choices, which means I buy the same brand of whatever every time, and I've seen the price increases [or the equivalent, like my favorite paper towels being suddenly quite a bit smaller than before].
It's good that some competition survived in your town, but others didn't in a lot of small towns.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
There's many reasons for that - some legitimate [the really powerful unions are as corrupt as the powerful corporations they originally fought against] but some have more to do with perception, driven by PR, bought & paid for by those whose interests don't align with the unions, and intimidation of workers by corporations [ie WalMart].

Your repeated insistence of inappropriately inserting your text into a quote box and your abuse of dashes, brackets and fonts distracts from the readability and enjoyment of reading your posts.

People can't afford to antagonize their employers these days - if the company makes it known that they don't want the unions, few workers will risk it.

No offense, just saying. ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How is inserting text into the place where it follows the comment I wish to trespond to "inappropriate"? Seems to me, if I wait till the end of the post, it's out of sequence, and garbled.
Abuse of brackets and dashes? Suck it up, cupcake, it's how I write. As long as it's spelled correctly, and proper punctuation is used [except for replacing parentheses with brackets because I don't need the shift key], I will continue to write the way I feel most comfortable.
No offense taken.
;)

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My goodness you are just an abundance of nonsense... the only people that walmart puts out of business are people that were lucky to have one at all... everyone else changes their business model and stays competitive by providing a level of service and product that is not found at the walmart..... they adapt and don't just whine!!! and all those policies and procedures that they supposedly paid to hush up and smooth over? what would those be.... and of course there is tax incentives to hiring certain groups of people that are in need... like the mentally challenged which I personally handled bringing many into the mainstream through a couple of different programs with incentives ... I have 28 years of retain and corporate management on my resume none of which is with walmart so I do speak from a platform of knowledge not just talking points I have heard or unsubstantiated facts...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My goodness you are just an abundance of nonsense...

Apparently, criticizing WalMart really does make you crazy, because that comment was out of line.
If you dispute anything I wrote, it's incumbent upon you to back it up, with something more substantial than personal insults.

the only people that walmart puts out of business are people that were lucky to have one at all... everyone else changes their business model and stays competitive by providing a level of service and product that is not found at the walmart..... they adapt and don't just whine!!! and all those policies and procedures that they supposedly paid to hush up and smooth over? what would those be.... and of course there is tax incentives to hiring certain groups of people that are in need... like the mentally challenged which I personally handled bringing many into the mainstream through a couple of different programs with incentives ... I have 28 years of retain and corporate management on my resume none of which is with walmart so I do speak from a platform of knowledge not just talking points I have heard or unsubstantiated facts...

Every point I made has been documented long ago - if you want to challenge any of them, you have to pony up the proof.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So are some people suggesting that somehow an employer (whether Walmart or anyone else) hiring veterans is hypocritical if they get a tax incentive for doing so? How does that compare to the hypocrisy of affirmative action?