UltraMaxx cargo van

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I had some time to kill so I drove to Mt Juliet and looked at the UltraMax units. I have to say that I was impressed overall. I liked the looks of it and it is huge inside. This thing could haul a good percentage of the ST loads I carry. I spoke with Tom Meeks and he did a great job of showing me the van and all it's features. I'm a ST driver, so vans are kinda foreign to me, but this looked like a good set-up.

I do think they will have to work on their price as Dennis has suggested. There is probably not going to be enough difference between an UltraMax and a CargoMax for the Ultra to demand a higher retail. Tom did tell me there are several features on the UltraMAx that are not offered on the CargoMax. I would hope that he could list them here in this thread so we could see a good comparison. With everything that was going on, I forgot to have him point out the differences to me.

The UltraMax that I drove had the 6 speed transmission and 3:73 gears. At 60 mph it was turning 1700 rpm and at 65 mph it was turning 1800-1900 rpms. The tach was showing the rpms in 100rpm increments and at 65 it would jump back and forth between 1800 and 1900. I could back it off to 64 and it would stick to 1800.

That rpm range is just a little high for optimum fuel economy, but not too bad (I'm told 1300-1500 would be optimal). The van was very drivable. It had plenty of power and I couldn't even feel it shift from 5th to 6th gear.

I was actually expecting to not like the UltraMax or the CargoMax, but after seeing and driving this one, I can't wait to look at a CargoMax to compare the two. I see a lot of potential for these units.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a CargoMax sitting at Weber Chevrolet in St. Louis, MO on Olive street off of I-270. I know it is there cuz they ordered it in for us but they were not able to get it in time so we ended up with a Chevy Express. The CargoMax came in a couple of days ago. The sales guy, Paul Huch called and said it finally came in, it's too late for us but someone might get it for a good price. I know they didn't want to stock this one. Best wishes to whom ever gets it. They are a nice rig.

vanman10

Expert Expediter
Hmmm, The CargoMax could be just what the doctor ordered. Chef Dennis, have you had any negative issues with your carrier from after choosing a CargoMax or have they treated it just like a Sprinter for dispatch. Are things still going well with your CargoMax.

Thanks
Jim

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Load 1 treats me as a sprinter everyday and a ST a few times a week, I have hauled more Sprinter loads then van loads and then 1-2 ST loads a week...and I still get the CV loads...right now I am on may way out of eagle pass with a load that would have to have gone in a ST 4 skids over 3400 lb...yea over 3400...:D The ST loads are not just more skids, but also heavier then a smart Sprinter will take...

The company can bid ST loads that I can take for less then what they have to pay ST, but more then a Sprinter...they get the load, I make more...and every once in a while I am getting the regular ST rate also...

The mileage is up to a consistent 13.8 - 14,2...not great but it is ok for now...plus being able to standup, have room to wamove around in iss worth a few miles per gallon for me..whe I have 2 regular size skids in here, I have 6 ft of sleeper.....

Its not for everyone, thats for sure, but it works for me ...and the mileage I'll get up over time...not to 18-20...but i wasn't getting that in my CV either....and I did just fine for 3.5 yrs...and as long as the FSC is close to or completely covering my gas..( i even made a few bucks on my last trip to TX.) i am fine...

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
There is a CargoMax sitting at Weber Chevrolet in St. Louis, MO on Olive street off of I-270. I know it is there cuz they ordered it in for us but they were not able to get it in time so we ended up with a Chevy Express. The CargoMax came in a couple of days ago. The sales guy, Paul Huch called and said it finally came in, it's too late for us but someone might get it for a good price. I know they didn't want to stock this one. Best wishes to whom ever gets it. They are a nice rig.

This one will be at my house next week. Made a deposit on it this morning. Thanks for the tip Tumbleweeds!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Congrats Rocketman...if you change out that axle ratio before you put it in service, let me know how the change goes and what the improvement comes out to be...

Thats 2 Cargo Maxs in exediting now....the more the merrier!!

And i know the price was right!! :D

Oh I talked to Josh at Carter in Okla today, he still has a few 209's left!!!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Congrats Rocketman...if you change out that axle ratio before you put it in service, let me know how the change goes and what the improvement comes out to be...

Thats 2 Cargo Maxs in exediting now....the more the merrier!!

And i know the price was right!! :D

Oh I talked to Josh at Carter in Okla today, he still has a few 209's left!!!

Thanks Dennis! Yep, I'll probably change the gears out first thing. I'm going to take some time to get it set up the way I want it. I've never done a van before, but I've got an idea of how I want the cargo/sleeper area to be...and keep the full length available for freight. I've got a buddy here with a good fab shop and some nice equipment to work with.

I got it cheap enough to make some mods and still be in good shape on it.

Did you have a place to buy the gears? I'm even considering doing the 3:42's first just as trial and error. I know their too tall, but until somebody tries it, we don't know for sure. Wish I could come up with a set somebody didn't like :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I do have a local guy that will order them and do it , Ill gfet you the name tomorrow, at least he can cive you the name of the vender for the gear set..I know GM does NOT offer anything other then the 3:73 and the 4:10 over the parts cunter and they are nothing but expensive,,,if a customer has the G-80 (traction lok axle) then they can only get the 4(10...I knw you do not have the G-80 so I know the 3:73 is available in the "after market"...id be leary of goin to the 3:42 when cruise in the mountains....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have a "Conversion Van Captains Chair" in my GMC CV that i have a driver in now..It came from the old van I was for on of my other companies..it was one of the passenger 2nd row seats an didn't have many miles on it with someone sitting in in it, I'll say maybe 10,000 mile...i put it in the CV and ran it for over 200,000 miles, its still in there...

1st they sit lower then the factory seat, not a big deal, but one to pay attention to if you are short waisted...

It started to breakdown after about 125,000 miles...at that point, I added the "Oregon Areo" seat and back cushion syetem that Turtle recommended ...it worked great..

I took the "Oregon Areo" cushions with me in the Cargo Max...while the facory seat is vinyl , the cushion works great and I don't sweat off the vinyl seat...

Before I'd buy one of those seats, Id get the Oregon Areo cushions. I will tell you even if I bought a high dollar replacement seat, I'd still use the "oregon Areo" cushions, thet work and you can feel the difference...There are a few here using them, and each will tell yo that they are worth the price, just in how you feel...here is the link:

Seat Cushion - Portable Seat Cushion - Portable Cushion

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I certainly hope they do sit lower than the factory seat. That was the one thing I didn't like about the Ultramax I drove and this one has to be the same. I was able to get comfortable, but would prefer lower. I also want at least one armrest, so the factory seat is definitely leaving. I'll wait until I've got it home to make any decisions tho.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I took the armrest off the aftermarket seat because once I took the pass seat out and put the frig and microwave in its place, getting into the back / the bunk was real tight...without the armrest, it was still tight, but better...

One thing on the factory seat in the UltraMaxx vs the CargoMax..while I am sure they both sit at the same height, the Ultras that i seen and sat in and drove were both Cloth seats, so i assume they all are...the CargoMax has the Vinyl seat...that is one area they could change, the cloth seat is always more desireable, at least on my part....

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This one will be at my house next week. Made a deposit on it this morning. Thanks for the tip Tumbleweeds!

It's been a while, hows the CargoMax working for you? We have put 95K on the Chevy Express we ended up with. Not bad in 7 months. Hope you have been running well and getting plenty of miles. Are the barn doors working well for you? When we ordered it, we thought it would be the best choice but we really didn't know. What kind of mileage do you get? Hope everything is going well for you.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
lol.. If you only knew how well it is working out :)

I can tell you this... it hauls furniture realy well :)

Seriously, it's still sitting in the driveway. I haven't put it in service yet. I have bought a generator for it and a set of aftermarket seats. I have an idea of how want the transition to take place and those cards haven't fallen yet. The biggest hold up is that I've been running the wheels off my straight truck lately and that's hard to give up. I will though, when the cards fall like I want them too.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Well the Cargomaxx looked great until I opened the driver door jam and saw 2 gvw stickers one from GM for 12,300 (incomplete) and a 9,900 re-rate from the body manufacturer. So I started to call a couple (6) state police headquarters to speak to the commercial vehicle enforcement supervisors. All 6 gave me the same answer "troopers are trained to look for the org. manufactures gvwr sticker" Told me if the incomplete from the org. manufacturer is 10,001 or more then it is considered a CMV and you must log, cross scales, etc. if used for commercial purposes. I told them that the unit has been de-rated to 9,900 and that there is a 9,900 sticker next to the GM sticker, and they all told me that the body manufactures can de-rate the units and do so because they do not want the unit to be loaded to max org. manufactures gross because it has been altered. I even told them I was going to plate it for 9,900 and they all kept the same story, also letting me know that if I plate it for 9,900 and end up weighing more than that I can be fined for overweight. Makes since, same as if I got caught overloading this van.

If you are looking to buy one of these units PLEASE call the state police and ask to speak to the Commercial vehicle enforcement supervisor. I called VA., MI., OH., PA. NJ. and NY. and got the same answer from ALL of them.

I also called the dealer in OK. and Unicell in Buffalo and spoke to a rep there and told them what I have been coming up against, I was told I was not the only one that has called about this concern. They are tryng to get GM to re-rate the 159" wheel base to 10k so they (body manufacturer) does not have to. I think she said 2013 GM is going to offer the 159" wheel base in a 10k gvw again.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thats odd. I talked to one of the DOT inspectors here and he told me the incomplete tag meant nothing... told me to tear it off if I wanted to.