UltraMaxx cargo van

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
I was wondering if anyone has bought a UltraMaxx cargo van yet.I like them better than a Sprinter.I heard they will be at the Expediter Expo. Good and bad info welcome.Thanks

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Cool! I hope to see more of of these type of units in expediting...from the stir from the people that were taking pictures of mine taken in Laredo over Easter weekend and the phone calls i have gotten since then, I think there will be...

The UltraMaxx is a nice truck and has a few fearures id like to have on mine, but there were and are other issues including the price I got mine for that convinced me to go this way...But it is nice truck...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Cool! I hope to see more of of these type of units in expediting...from the stir from the people that were taking pictures of mine taken in Laredo over Easter weekend and the phone calls i have gotten since then, I think there will be...

The UltraMaxx is a nice truck and has a few features id like to have on mine, but there were and are other issues including the price I got mine for that convinced me to go this way...But it is nice truck...

I'm leaving again for Oregon next Monday and going thru Tn to see the Ultra Max then going thru Okla to see the man about Cargo Max. I'm like you with the price issues. There is something about the Max cargo area that bothers me and I can't put a finger on it, but I will next week.

I also don't like roll up doors, can't seal them from heat and cold after you get them broke in.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The UltraMaxx seems a bit porky with a listed shipping weight of 7,725# and a 10,000# GVWR. I would think the shipping weight doesn't include a driver and probably only vapors in the fuel tank. Add a driver, socks, underwear and E-track and there isn't much left for cargo.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Moot, that is the same listed curb weight for the DRW 12,300 unit also.. I think it is just bad editing in the info...I'd bet the SRW 10,000 lb unit doesn't weigh antwhere near that much...maybe 7000 on the high end...but then again, remember it is also a factory rated 12,300 gvw and re-certified at 10,000 gvw...

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
I spoke with a salesman last week,and he said they would be at the expo,with a van. I do have an issue with having a 6.0 engine. 12 -14 mpg...The company will only sell it with a 6.0.They have a roll up door which you lose 5-8 inches at the top for freight,or a 2000 option for swing doors. I drive a Chevy Express 2500,which the 4.8 Liter gives me enough power with hauling 3000 pounds. The dually model is 12,600 gvw,where they told me a single would get me under 10000.Specd out $35,000....I'd rather drive that than a Sprinter.Now I've been told that some carriers won't accept this van,that they will only accept Sprinter.Picky picky picky..
I would think if you want to make a customer happy and make a sale you let the customer buy what they want....not so at this company. It's 6.0 engine or nothing is what I understand.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
$2k for barn doors sounds insane. It seems like they should be the same cost if not less. Not much to them but what do I know.

guido4475

Not a Member
If the roll-up door on my van wasnt new, including tracks,rollers,etc, I'd seriously eventually consider switching it to barn doors to save weight.height would stay the same.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think if you want to make a customer happy and make a sale you let the customer buy what they want....not so at this company. It's 6.0 engine or nothing is what I understand.
In this case the customer is the aftermarket up-fitter who purchases the chassis from the company (General Motors) that sells the chassis with either the 6.0 or the DuraMax. There are probably some very good reasons GM doesn't offer the 4.8 in a cutaway chassis. You can't blame the up-fitter for lack of engine choices.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If the roll-up door on my van wasnt new, including tracks,rollers,etc, I'd seriously eventually consider switching it to barn doors to save weight.height would stay the same.

Guido, there are doors (tocco weathertite) which are lighter than barn doors. I have one of them sitting at the van right now ready to go into the box and they are really nice.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
In this case the customer is the aftermarket up-fitter who purchases the chassis from the company (General Motors) that sells the chassis with either the 6.0 or the DuraMax. There are probably some very good reasons GM doesn't offer the 4.8 in a cutaway chassis. You can't blame the up-fitter for lack of engine choices.

Yep Moot you are right but many don't order outside the upfitters (many of them refuse to accept a customer's chassis because of the profit involved - Unicell is one) and dealers don't often offer to order cutaways with different options in them because of the hassle they go through. I seen a 4.8 in a cutaway, it was a dog from what I was told but it was there and it was new.