Turtle and his merry brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I certainly enjoy it. Just saying. But I can say may opinions are same on here and in person, unlike people like you that hide behind these sites. You only have courage to type comments but face to face youreon sissy silence! Again, just saying.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario, I was willing to listen to suggestions even if they didn't go along with my beliefs. The problem is there were more wise cracks than suggestions. When I'm back in town I'll go to my dads and go through his iooda literature and will contact iooda. That was the best info I found from that thread.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ontario, I was willing to listen to suggestions even if they didn't go along with my beliefs. The problem is there were more wise cracks than suggestions. When I'm back in town I'll go to my dads and go through his iooda literature and will contact iooda. That was the best info I found from that thread.

When you contact OOIDA, be sure to tell them how the brokers are taking more money from the loads than the drivers are. In fact, I'd lead with that. That kind of stuff is right up their alley.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I believe..what you have come across is a bunch of non believers...hardcore non believers....unfortunately some have chosen to be rude to you...as you have also been rude back in response....

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you contact OOIDA, be sure to tell them how the brokers are taking more money from the loads than the drivers are. In fact, I'd lead with that. That kind of stuff is right up their alley.

Thanks for the suggestion. As soon as oioda hears from me I'll lead with the "turtle approved" good stuff!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You would be absolutely correct, Turtle! I feel like I just woke up x-mas morning by realizing that is there! lol
Careful. Someone might construe that as my helping out instead of breaking you down. I've got a rep to protect, you know.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe..what you have come across is a bunch of non believers...hardcore non believers....unfortunately some have chosen to be rude to you...as you have also been rude back in response....

Yes, I have dished out as well but each time was in response to a wise crack. I can be as nice or as mean as who I'm dealing with. If I came across as though I know it all or have it figured out that was not my intent. I voiced my opinion and had hoped for constructive feedback.

Monty

Expert Expediter
May I clear something up? How much do agents make?

I can only speak for Landstar agents.

If there is $100.00 on the table, I would get 73% of it, the agent got 8%, that is a total of 81%, Landstar corporate got the remainding 19%

It seems I did indeed get the most of the revenue.

Now, when we speak "brokers" in the truest sense of the word, I have no clue ... nor did I want any.

btw, have I mentioned lately I really liked Landstar?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is my take on rates.

This is expediting not truckload.

I do not care what agents, brokers, or carriers make if I get my rate.

In expedite most drivers get paid before the carrier or broker. For the majority of us they are exposed to more risk than drivers when it comes to being paid.

This does not apply to 100% of expedite drivers but does apply to the majority. If one chooses to work with brokers and risk pay that is a business risk they choose or as most in this industry do those risks can be avoided.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Moving this thread to where it should have been in the first place- if it should have been posted at all..

The crickets must be loud at the "outhouse" and want something to discuss. lol!

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is my take on rates.

This is expediting not truckload.

I do not care what agents, brokers, or carriers make if I get my rate.

In expedite most drivers get paid before the carrier or broker. For the majority of us they are exposed to more risk than drivers when it comes to being paid.

This does not apply to 100% of expedite drivers but does apply to the majority. If one chooses to work with brokers and risk pay that is a business risk they choose or as most in this industry do those risks can be avoided.

Putting aside how much they make they are why our rates are not as good as they can be. That is my point. They put so many drivers out here because more drivers equals more loads that can pass throught that respective company which turns into more profit for that company. I believe I'm hurting myself because I'm nit explaining myself clearly. My thought on this subject are scattered , I apologize for that. The drivers portion of this industry is being held back from better pay by the companies that deal with the customers. When I mention broker or agent making that money I'm not meaning the individual, I'm referring to the portion of our industry that involves the brokers/agents as the go between of driver and customer.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Putting aside how much they make they are why our rates are not as good as they can be. That is my point. They put so many drivers out here because more drivers equals more loads that can pass throught that respective company which turns into more profit for that company. I believe I'm hurting myself because I'm nit explaining myself clearly. My thought on this subject are scattered , I apologize for that. The drivers portion of this industry is being held back from better pay by the companies that deal with the customers. When I mention broker or agent making that money I'm not meaning the individual, I'm referring to the portion of our industry that involves the brokers/agents as the go between of driver and customer.

As someone posted earlier more trucks on the road means less money for all not just drivers.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You seem to think that brokers can only use the drivers which they, the broker, hired on. Fact is, brokers can broker out a load to any driver or any carrier they like. For example, and I'll use "carrier" to mean "broker", Panther, a carrier who also brokers loads, books loads which they cover with their own trucks, but they also broker out a lot of loads to other drivers and carriers, including drivers who are partner carriers and are not lease on to any carrier at all. Panther did not "put" any of those partner carriers on, those drivers were already out there in the wild, part of the capacity that exceeds demand. Brokers, including Panther and many other carriers, post the loads they need to get covered into big boards where anyone can bid on them.

As far as my merry brigade, to a person they all have the same opinion...
I AM NOT A MERRY MAN

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Putting aside how much they make they are why our rates are not as good as they can be. That is my point.

That is true to a certain degree. The bar for brokers is low, almost as low as the bar for truck drivers but the brokers have more requirements and money involved to get started vs a driver. The lower bar means a bunch of stay at home moms get started as a broker because they saw some ad about how easy it was and they could make a fortune. They get started being completely clueless about what rate something should get moved at and most of the time they under bid. When I call on those loads they are simply told "No that rate won't work". Sometimes you have to explain what extra costs there are and what you would move it for. This helps them get a better idea of what they should be doing in the future. I would say the majority of the time they just end up out of business. The average percentage a broker gets is about 10% so they aren't making that much.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I find funny is that so few EO members failed to identify apex as a troll (unless they're sitting back chuckling like I am). His (or her) style of writing should have alerted everyone almost immediately that the 'writer' came forth only to prod and provoke.

No reflection on you, highway star. Sniffing out trolls quickly takes a special talent, enhanced by living in the Upper Peninsula. Up there it's an ability to identify those crossing the bridge from the Lower Peninsula and trying to blend in with us Yoopers. Here it's useful in detecting someone educated and very familiar with the expedite industry trying to sound semi-literate.

He (or she) obviously knows a great deal about the expedite business. Hmmm...now who could that be??

Well... He may be a troll, or may not. All I know is he hasn't provided any documentation that what he says about brokers is true. It's just truckstop coffee counter blah, blah, blah at this point.

Blending with Yoopers? Been there, done that, and the 2 species can breed. 2 sons to show for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.