TS/Hurricane Gustav; This is NOT Good

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
11pm update....

THE INTENSITY FORECAST IS INCREASED OVER THE PREVIOUS FORECAST IN BEST AGREEMENT WITH THE GFDL. HOWEVER...IT WOULD BE NO SURPRISE IF RAPID INTENSIFICATION OCCURRED AND GUSTAV BECAME A CATEGORY 4 OR 5 HURRICANE BY 72 HR.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Watch out if that happens. Guess maybe if it happens again then maybe they will move out of those area? Naw, it will be my fault that thier lives were ruined by that storm. Layoutshnooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was watching a Discovery Channel program a computer simulation if a cat 3-5 hits New York Harbor...Manhattan would be under 5 feet of water as well...seems Manhattan is at sea level and NO levy system.
I feel for the "good" people of N.O. but their choice is pretty lousy...they chose "borrowed land" as in landfill and delta sand...Not intended for permanent habitation...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What do you base that on? The economy is recovering fairly quickly from a mild recession. A made up housing "crisis".

"Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Integrity Bank of Alpharetta, Georgia, was closed by U.S. regulators today, the 10th bank to collapse this year amid a surge in soured real-estate loans stemming from the worst housing slump since the Great Depression...

"Banks are being closed at the fastest pace in 14 years as financial companies report more than $505 billion in writedowns and credit losses since 2007."

Closer to home, see: Trucking Failures Continue at Record Pace

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OH God, more doom and gloom.

Phil, Both of these things are ilrealvant to my truck. Trucking companies should not effect you either, FedEx is not a trucking company. But what makes a difference for me is the number of trucks, the number of owners - that is where my numbers will go up without the competition.

Banks going out of business, the worst housing slump? who cares, just the millionaire truckers I guess?

The banking industry was given a free ride and we the tax payers are paying for it. The government relaxed the regulations so they can make these loans, loans sometimes at the 125% of the value of the property which is illegal. Yes these loans should fail, the management should go to jail and the regulations should be put back.

I hear on the big truck front about how people are coping with high cost of fuel and still making it, like this guy Claude Jone ("Raising Hope", July/August Road King Magazine) who started out with nothing three years ago and has come a long way.

Anywho the news in N.O. this evening is that even if they evacuate people, the ones who are left don't have enough shelter space in the city. Kind of interesting, they build parks, musicians homes and they even have time for a mardigra but they can't build huricane shelters?

Money well spent.... I guess.....

Maybe the same one's who are running these banks which are going out of business are the same ones who are the ones planning the shelters - maybe they put them huricane shelters in Kansas?

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
Phil

He's sniffing out your post like a coon-dog chasing a.......well, a Raccoon

There's plenty of us who read your stuff , so don't let that juvenile
behavior get to ya !!

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
The new gov of La has his head on straight he has already asked for help from other states for the aftermath. My son is a crew cheif and his helicopter has already been put on alert he lives in Ar

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
gov of La has his head on straight

Yes he does. Jindy's a far cry from the bunch of cronies we've had
in Baton Rouge for many years. Things should process allot smoother this time.......if indeed things get bad enough. There's all kinds of support equipment in place. Allot earlier than I ever remember. Us in the coastal flats have dealt with this kinda mess since La's been occupied. We have no choice but to pack up and haul @ss. Pity the poor folks in the city tho. That's no kind of place to be when the shyt hits the fan.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil

He's sniffing out your post like a coon-dog chasing a.......well, a Raccoon

There's plenty of us who read your stuff , so don't let that juvenile
behavior get to ya !!

Juvenile?

Hey Thib, maybe it is time that you stop with this crap?

I am amazed that out of your hundred or so posts, you have been on the attack in a lot or them, maybe more than 50%?

It seems when you write cr*p like what I quoted above that shows you are both a juvenile and trolling to flame me, neither is useful to others at all.

I get the part that you hate me, no biggy there, but I don’t go and seek out your posts or actually don’t out Phil’s posts to say something derogatory. To be exact he asked a question in another thread and I gave him what I know, so what I can see you need to grow up. If he has an identity crisis because of my posts, then he can tell me to back off or what ever makes him feel better but as far as you are concern, like I said in another post either participate as a useful member or STFU.

AND I don’t agree with his doom and gloom posts at all, it gives a lot of people a false sense of expertise on matters too big to just quote an article or two – no offense Phil.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A recession is 3 consecutive negitive growth quaters, we have had only one. Bank failures are not always a sign of or connected to recession. Most of the time it is do to poor loan practices. Any who, FEMA out very heavy in LA for a least 3 days. Baton Rouge is crawling with FEMA. They are ready willing and able. They have everything in place. Same as what I saw when Katrina hit. Med teams here are VERY mad about the horrible lies told during Katrina. One guy from MA said, Geez, for not giving care our 4 man crew was treating a 1000 people a day. Not bad for one crew. There were 25 at the airport alone. Let's 1000x25=25,000 a day being worked on. Not what I heard on the news. By the way, that guy from MA did not say it quite as nice as I did here. No sign of Gustav yet. Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
AND I don’t agree with his doom and gloom posts at all, it gives a lot of people a false sense of expertise on matters too big to just quote an article or two – no offense Phil.

"We are heading for a depression, we are in a real recession right now and a lot of real experts are saying that quietly. If we don't do something about our congress, depression of the 30's will look like a mild recession." (greg334, 07/15/2008)

"In reality we are heading for a depression - something that the experts seem to be saying, like the ones who compile the CPI at U of M. Of course they will not say that publicly, read my comment below." (greg334, 05/26/2008)

"Yes we are in a retracted economy, yes some say it is a recession while others say it is just like the late 20's on the road to a depression." (geg334, 01/05/2008)

"The recession can turn into a real depression unless there is a change in attitude of a lot of people about solutions - mainly not to depend on the government." (greg334, 01/03/2008)

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Let's get this thread back on track. There is a major hurricane headed for the gulf coast, and it appears that New Orleans learned a lesson from Katrina. Lets keep those affected by this storm in our thoughts and prayers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
with about 60 hours till landfall it's dead on target for N.O. And no real prospect for much movement left or right.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's interesting, the message tone from the officials this morning is "get out, or you will be on your own. There will be no one there to help you."

Hopefully people "get it" this time and leave.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Piper, they did that during hurricane Hugo. If you don't heed the warning to leave, give us your next of kin information because there will be no one to rescue you.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Having once made a delivery there, Houma, Louisiana is on our minds. You have to do a little searching to find news about it, as it is a smaller town than New Orleans. It looks like Houma is going to take a big hit, especially because much of the outer islands and marshlands that once protected it has eroded away.

I had a brief but delightful conversation with an old man in Houma. I was in the truck. Diane was in a building doing an inside delivery. The man approached and offered nice words about our truck. He was a retired trucker who had lived in Houma all his life.

It was fascinating to listen to him talk about what the town used to be like and what it had become since Katrina. He told me a whole lot of people moved to Houma from New Orleans after Katrina and have not returned to New Orleans.

This was the first time we had ever been in this area of the country (well off Louisiana freeways, away from New Orleans and other Louisiana cities). I was all ears and would have loved to buy a sit-down meal for him and the people he was with, to listen to the stories he had to tell. Sadly, Diane returned with the freight and I had to cut the visit short because we had to leave.

Now, Houma is in peril and this old man must flee to stay safe. He is one of these people you meet on the road that you later kick yourself for not getting his name and keeping in touch. He touched my heart with his stories and love for his town.

We are seeing on the news now, thousands of people wisely fleeing the storm. It is good to remember that every single one has heartfelt attachments to the things they are leaving behind. While we sit in the comfort of our homes or trucks, a bunch of folks are in not just for an evacuation, but a stressful event that will stick with them for a long, long time.

Last edited:

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
My wife has a sister that lives in Alexandria. She told us yesterday they are expecting 100mph winds in Alexandria. If that is the case it will be bad on the coast. Last I heard, it was a Cat. 4 and they were talking about upgrading it to a Cat. 5.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Last we heard here was a Cat 4 at landfall, somewhere west of N.O. Not sure what that does with storm rotation and wind effects on N.O. They are talking about a storm surge in higher than Katrina. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last we heard here was a Cat 4 at landfall, somewhere west of N.O. Not sure what that does with storm rotation and wind effects on N.O. They are talking about a storm surge in higher than Katrina. Layoutshooter

They say(experts) the "UP" side is the worst side if its just a bit west at landfall...N.O will be in bad shape...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry everyone for this departure, I know Gustav is important but....well....first Gustav so not to take too much off track.

I got my request to go down there to help out, won't go until next week if at all. I got two former customers who have interests there and they wanted a few of us who worked with them on thier business continuity plans in the past to go help out with a recovery. They tell me that the city still has a long way to go and the cities interest is still not focused enough on real issues that they expect if there is a cat 5 to hit, they will be out of there for good. They are not too happy but overall this time around it will be better, not because Katrina, but because there is a new guy at the state level. I think that Jindal told Nagan "not this time, you will listen" and Nagan in a couple interviews has been really reserved about some questions over evacuations.

But Hanna may be the one that comes in at a Cat 4 or 5, Gustav the last I heard was a cat 3.

Now Phil.

Very good Phil, I thank you for those reminders, I did say them but I have been saying them for a while.

My comments were not to say that you are wrong, it is about what it means to me and others like me. I am one truck, one owner who has to compete with others. At FedEx, I had to compete with you and the company internals, where I am at now, I compete with a larger assortment of trucks and issues so it is not about trucking companies, it is about owners - the less the better.

My comments were not directed to you at first, until Thib attacked me, they were directed at a general audence, to say here is the real problems, not bringing you up in an attack mood - "Phil, Both of these things are ilrealvant to my truck. Trucking companies should not effect you either, FedEx is not a trucking company. But what makes a difference for me is the number of trucks, the number of owners - that is where my numbers will go up without the competition." I didn't even mean you in the million dollar owner thing, I mean the 5 plus fleet owners at FedEx who are favored for a number of things. The point is clear, the amount of trucks, not companies matter.

As for expertise, well that's seems to be another contention, I am not trying to build up an audence who follows me like Dave Ramsey. My comments are just that, comments so I thank you for posting what I said in the past to remind me about them.

SO there you all go, have at it. I am done....