Try Hours Still hasn't paid me

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
Just giving would-be's a heads up. Seeing as there is prob a banner for them at the top of this page. I worked for Try Hours from July to November 26th '08. I have still not received my over 800 dollars escro money. This is MY MONEY I remind you. Their policy is 45 to 60 days after you sign off. Well it's been close to 80 days now. Conveniently, my last pay check was totally eaten up by fees. 275 dollars worth and this does not include equiptment removall. Maybe thats where my 800 dollar escro went. They must charge 800 bucks per hr to remove sat because thats about how long it took. Just trying to save another would be sucker from these con artists. I have asked before and ask again... If anyone else has been or is being ripped off by this company to drop me a line. There is strength in numbers and we have a duty not to let the next person get screwed especially in these hard times. One major loss could put a person with a family out of business and worse.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Just giving would-be's a heads up. Seeing as there is prob a banner for them at the top of this page. I worked for Try Hours from July to November 26th '08. I have still not received my over 800 dollars escro money. This is MY MONEY I remind you. Their policy is 45 to 60 days after you sign off. Well it's been close to 80 days now. Conveniently, my last pay check was totally eaten up by fees. 275 dollars worth and this does not include equiptment removall. Maybe thats where my 800 dollar escro went. They must charge 800 bucks per hr to remove sat because thats about how long it took. Just trying to save another would be sucker from these con artists. I have asked before and ask again... If anyone else has been or is being ripped off by this company to drop me a line. There is strength in numbers and we have a duty not to let the next person get screwed especially in these hard times. One major loss could put a person with a family out of business and worse.

And That Surprises You How?? They have been doing that for years and will Continue as long as they can get away with it!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is what I've found anyways....

If your last load was Friday and your pay week begins Monday
and you go in Monday or Tuesday for equipment removal you will be charged for that week as well...sat fees, bob tail ins and workplace ins. AND they don't prorate by the day so you are charged the whole weeks fee....yeah sounds screwy but thats how some operate.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't you achieve better results contacting the company? If that didn't work, maybe an attorney?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gripe, gripe, gripe....in all the years on this forum not one carrier has been served a class action suit for all the supposed screwin going on....blow your steam and move on....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
lmao, your a funny man, I mean that in a good way.

I've seen this soooo many times over the years...and it usually turns out to be bad communication ....on both parties side.

I did intend to come across gruff because one has to stay on the carriers a$$ to get the final payment....one shouldn't have to BUT it happens....next time one changes carriers they'll know what to expect and make sure it doesn't happen again...

experience......:)

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
I hear yea, from all i have read here its not cheap to leave anyone. I didnt think about a last load on friday and not turning in ur stuff till monday or tuesday then getting charged for that week to, Thats a good reminder

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear yea, from all i have read here its not cheap to leave anyone. I didnt think about a last load on friday and not turning in ur stuff till monday or tuesday then getting charged for that week to, Thats a good reminder

It happened to me...I got over it...Live and learn they say....:D

Yes do a load or 2 and the get in on the Friday for the removal...if your pay weeks run that way....that'll pay for the fees and your escrow should be safe...

Last edited:

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
If you truely feel that you have a legitimate claim against this company, you can write a letter to the following agencies and they will do a thorough investigation: state attonrney general, state senator, state legislature(s) for the company and from your area, better business bureau. Make sure to send them copies of your contract, receipts, and any other documentation/letters/proof that you have.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter

When I was with Panther in 2005 the same happened to my 2 vans that I pulled. Charged up the wazoo for removing equipment and got like 300.00 back for 2 vans.

When I left Express 1 and Bolt later after finally going broke, we removed our own satellite which was easy, and shipped back everything UPS. We received our full escrows minus a few small charges as per contract we signed.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
When I was with Panther in 2005 the same happened to my 2 vans that I pulled. Charged up the wazoo for removing equipment and got like 300.00 back for 2 vans.

When I left Express 1 and Bolt later after finally going broke, we removed our own satellite which was easy, and shipped back everything UPS. We received our full escrows minus a few small charges as per contract we signed.

All the more reason to stay with Express 1..I like em!

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I had the same experience with Panther from August 07 to December 07, they kept it all. (Escrow)

moose

Veteran Expediter
If you think you have a case, or like to form a class,
Call OOIDA 1800-444-5791

as mach as i did not enjoyed doing business with Panther ,
i have absolutely no complain as to the way they treated my contract and my money .(except for the demm Decal & QC fiasco ... )
i have received my tax papers for 08 last week ,on time.

Moose.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I took my van out from Try Hours,I did take down the qualcom,sent it to MIke. That was 3 weeks ago.I wait three more weeks and after thet I will start calling them.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well I haven't been around here much lately. Sometimes it's just too depressing when listening to so many bad stories about no freight or no pay. This may be more info than is warranted to this particular thread, but here goes. Mods have my cooperation in moving this it indeed it does not apply. Hopefully my argument will make sense by the end. (This is meant for everyone reading, not just for the thread starter.)

First off, I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting paid. I do not claim to know any more about the situation that what you have stated. I am the owner of a small carrier. I will tell you what I have seen and what you may need to know to survive this.

*You may find freight rates in the toilet. I am seeing D-Unit rates being brokered between carriers who are freindly at the appalling rate of $1.20 on average (fuel included). Who knows what the shippers are actually paying, but he who has the customer, has the upper hand in this market. These days, everything is an auction to the lowest bidder.
*Your carrier grabs a load for you since you are sitting Podunk, IA, or even Great Spot, Indiana. He then offers it to you at the wonderful all inclusive rate of $1.00 per mile, including fsc. I understand that this is .20 beneath your contracted rate of pay, much less the fuel surcharge.
*You turn that load down because it seems so cheap. Question: How long must you now sit before you carrier is awarded another load in your good or not so good area to get you moving, AND will it be any higher that a dollar a mile? You may spend more idling and fighting the frozen north and sitting than you would by accepting that reduced pay load these days.
*Here's the kicker: These day, ou now not only have to worry about getting a decent rate, or getting a load more than once or twice a week, you now need to concern yourself with whether your carrier is actually financially solvent or not. What will you do if the carrier you are leased to sends you a notice that not only are they late in paying you, but that they are no longer in business?

If any newbie reads this, let him not only investigate the offerings of the recruiter and what has been said in the past about a carrier, let him now also investigate for himself the credit profile of these carriers, and whether or not they will be around in another 30 days. I know of one very sad story right now of a great small company with great ethics that unfortunately is owed a bill in the low six figures by one major auto maker.who is doing well to pay their freight bills in 4 months time. I'm not so sure that that company is going to be in business much longer.

I recently stepped over the line and publicly criticized another Alliance carrier amongst the Alliance because they drug their feet in paying their bills to other carriers. Only after 100 days, four phone calls and threat to file against their bond (along with the public tongue lashing) did I get a call from their VP and a check in the mail. These guys are supposedly solvent and still don't want to part with the money. However, I've never known Try Hours to do something like that on purpose. They are most likely struggling to collect payment from brokers and shippers as well. Keep in kind communication with them and see what they can do for you. Sugar will get you there quicker than vinegar will.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I wish it weren't so, but when demand is high and supply has slowed, it puts many companies in "survival" mode. If you're with a smaller carrier, ie. 300 units or less, you company may have worked really hard to get you that "cheap load" that you just turned down. It may not be their shipper. They may be bidding on someone else's load that needed covering, in order to make you a little money and make themselves a little something as well. Unfortunately as a carrier, I still haven't figured out where the bottom is. How much do I need to bid to actually win a load? A carrier certainly doesn't want to bid that cheap if he has no competition on it. I've called on loads where I was told that the current D unit bid was already at $1.07, including fuel.