Truck Stop Restaurants

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Forget I bothered

Tipping a penny is ruder and more insulting than leaving nothing. If a waiter was that bad I'd be talking to a manager not being a jerk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Serving food for tips is hard work. I'm a $2 guy. My usual restaurant meal is breakfast and ranges from $8 up to maybe $12. I'm happy to leave $2, occasionally more. Waitresses work hard and I usually assume they've got kids they're trying to feed.

Well that is very free market of you wanderingfool...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Tipping a penny is ruder and more insulting than leaving nothing. If a waiter was that bad I'd be talking to a manager not being a jerk.

I did both. It's not MY fault the waiter was rude, dirty and a jerk. He got paid what he was worth. Do a pennies worth of work, that is what you have earned. Do more, make more, that is how is should ALWAYS be.

It was after EXTREMELY slow service, hardly a word spoken by him, he was dirty, in need of both a clean shirt AND a bath. THEN he poured a bowl of hot, french onion soup, cheese and all, down my back. When I complained to the manager he said he was sorry and gave me a banana. True story.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I agree. Remember, when you go to a restaurant you are buying food that is prepared for you, and paying for a service. They really are two different things, despite the dining experience being a single experience. Unless there is something wrong with the food, you're going to pay for it, at menu prices. You're going to pay for service, but you have more control over how much to pay since you can pay for whatever level of service you received. If the service, or the food, is horrendous then you need to bring the manager into it.

If the service did not meet your needs, tip accordingly, but if you were waited on at all then you should pay something for it, even if it's ten percent. If the service meets your needs and expectations, a standard tip is warranted. If the service exceeded your expectations and the server anticipated your needs, then pay extra for that, maybe even adding a single penny to the tip as a statement of "thank you" or "job well done."

Leaving nothing other than a penny is certainly a statement, too, but you've just asked for and received a service without paying for it. Instead of a penny, leave a small tip for the service and get the manager involved.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I did both. It's not MY fault the waiter was rude, dirty and a jerk. He got paid what he was worth. Do a pennies worth of work, that is what you have earned. Do more, make more, that is how is should ALWAYS be.

It was after EXTREMELY slow service, hardly a word spoken by him, he was dirty, in need of both a clean shirt AND a bath. THEN he poured a bowl of hot, french onion soup, cheese and all, down my back. When I complained to the manager he said he was sorry and gave me a banana. True story.
Why would you sit there and let a dirty, smelly person who's in need of a bath serve you food?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Why would you sit there and let a dirty, smelly person who's in need of a bath serve you food?

It is a VERY long story, it was a "family" thing over which I had no control. I did not drive. I had NO idea where I even was, somewhere in a part of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, that I would had NEVER been in on my own.

The food was BAD, except for the bananas, there were hookers and drug dealers everywhere. The music was bad as well.

It was a night like no other I have EVER experienced.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It is a VERY long story, it was a "family" thing over which I had no control. I did not drive. I had NO idea where I even was, somewhere in a part of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, that I would had NEVER been in on my own.

The food was BAD, except for the bananas, there were hookers and drug dealers everywhere. The music was bad as well.

It was a night like no other I have EVER experienced.
Any story containing hookers and bananas needs to end.:eek:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
The following is not an attack but it is brutal honesty. Have you considered the fact that you are doing a job that requires little to no skill? Basically you take orders and then transport food from the kitchen to a table. Do you really think that should pay enough to support a family? You have little to no responsibility, it requires no education, and it's a job that almost anyone can do. You chose a job that put you in a position where bad tipping is certainly a possibility or maybe they just weren't happy with your service because you got busy or went on break so they tipped what you were worth. You can't possibly expect every single person to tip 20%, especially in a truck stop restaurant. If you want more money then earn a better job or at least one that doesn't rely on tipping as part of your income.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

I really don't understand why people consider one jobs importance over another,every job depends on every other job. For instance a hospital can not be run by doctors alone,it takes varied types of employees. They all deserve a decent wage. Have you tried working as a waitress,it is much more difficult than you can imagine. I for one could not do it. I'm sure it requires skills, you and I don't understand or could even imagine. I don't know much about it,but I know this,any job that requires you to deal with the public can be a nightmare. I do agree though that just like anything else you have to take the good tips with the bad.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Many moons ago while working my way thru college , I was a floor sweeper, aka: janitor. We worked from about 4 till midnight. I will never forget that job. It is demanding, especially in a school.

Now when I get the chance and I'm in a area where I see someone doing janitorial work, I try to stop and speak to them an give them some word of encouragement and tell them I have done their type of work how tough it can be. If you cannot relate to someone and speak their job language, you cannot be sincere when striking up a conversation with them...our politicians have that problem....

Keeping the floors clean and bathrooms sanitary is a thankless job,,,been there,,and done that!!

Thanks for all of you who realize we servers aren't just lazy asses with no brains. It does require skill and loads of patience. I'm in the process now of trying to find another job in a chain restaurant. As a server I've worked in all types of places and don't really care as long as I perform my job exceptionally well and am able to feed my kids. I just wanted some feedback on why it seems that to some, not all, in this industry still find it acceptable to order 30 dollars worth of food, never ask for anything to be refilled because I'm on it and then just leave a .50 or 1.00 tip. No biggie, lesson learned and I do appreciate your input. $30 is bill for 2 or more people usually. But if steaks are ordered, desserts etc. It can be 20 dollars for one person and leaving a tray full of coins that amount to not even a dollar isn't right no matter who you are. I work hard as we all do....thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I really don't understand why people consider one jobs importance over another,every job depends on every other job. For instance a hospital can not be run by doctors alone,it takes varied types of employees. They all deserve a decent wage. Have you tried working as a waitress,it is much more difficult than you can imagine. I for one could not do it. I'm sure it requires skills, you and I don't understand or could even imagine. I don't know much about it,but I know this,any job that requires you to deal with the public can be a nightmare. I do agree though that just like anything else you have to take the good tips with the bad.

They all deserve a decent wage? No they don't, they deserve what the market says they are worth.

A hospital could be run by doctors alone, you would just have to hire more doctors and medical bills would cost more. The nurses are used as assistants to help with some of the tasks that don't require a doctor and demand less of a salary so it lowers your bills. It is not an easy job and requires an education so that's why they get paid a better wage.

I have had a couple of jobs in customer service and I'm sure I could be a waiter but I wouldn't want to do it which is why I tip well.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Thanks for all of you who realize we servers aren't just lazy asses with no brains. It does require skill and loads of patience. I'm in the process now of trying to find another job in a chain restaurant. As a server I've worked in all types of places and don't really care as long as I perform my job exceptionally well and am able to feed my kids. I just wanted some feedback on why it seems that to some, not all, in this industry still find it acceptable to order 30 dollars worth of food, never ask for anything to be refilled because I'm on it and then just leave a .50 or 1.00 tip. No biggie, lesson learned and I do appreciate your input. $30 is bill for 2 or more people usually. But if steaks are ordered, desserts etc. It can be 20 dollars for one person and leaving a tray full of coins that amount to not even a dollar isn't right no matter who you are. I work hard as we all do....thanks again.

I don't think anyone said servers are lazy or don't have a brain although I'm sure we have all met our fair share that fit that description. The job itself requires no education though, not even a high school diploma. That doesn't mean they are all dumb but it is just a reality.

What skill is required to be a server?

The ability to take your order, carry large trays, make someone who may be having a bad day feel better, the ability to listen and sympathize in any situation, the fortitude to smile when you are called a stupid ***** because the kitchen is out of whatever food item is desired, here is a partial list of some as found online:

AccuracyAdaptabilityAnswer QuestionsAttentivenessBasic MathematicalCash and Credit HandlingCash Out Orders in Point-of-Sale SystemCasual DiningCleaning*CommunicationConflict ResolutionCredit Card ProcessingCustomer ServiceDependabilityDetail OrientationDeliver OrdersEnergeticEngage with PublicEnter OrdersEnthusiasmFine DiningFlexibleFood and Beverage KnowledgeFriendly

G - M

Greeting PatronsInterpersonalInput Orders in Point-of-Sale SystemListeningMake ChangeMaking Casual ConversationMaintain CleanlinessMaintain Table AppearanceManaging Stress

Any service/labor job...be it trucking or otherwise doesn't require a college degree. Most places do require Ged or diploma though.

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Wow !
What if truck driver's only got $2.13 per hour plus tips ?

Wait :eek:
Some probably only do $2.13 per hour without tips !

Please keep this in mind as to why some drivers are irritable BEFORE eating the truck stop food.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter

The ability to take your order, carry large trays, make someone who may be having a bad day feel better, the ability to listen and sympathize in any situation, the fortitude to smile when you are called a stupid ***** because the kitchen is out of whatever food item is desired, here is a partial list of some as found online:

AccuracyAdaptabilityAnswer QuestionsAttentivenessBasic MathematicalCash and Credit HandlingCash Out Orders in Point-of-Sale SystemCasual DiningCleaning*CommunicationConflict ResolutionCredit Card ProcessingCustomer ServiceDependabilityDetail OrientationDeliver OrdersEnergeticEngage with PublicEnter OrdersEnthusiasmFine DiningFlexibleFood and Beverage KnowledgeFriendly

G - M

Greeting PatronsInterpersonalInput Orders in Point-of-Sale SystemListeningMake ChangeMaking Casual ConversationMaintain CleanlinessMaintain Table AppearanceManaging Stress

I wouldn't put any of those on a list of skills, that's just a general job description. I'm talking about skills that require at least a moderate amount of training.