Truck Stop Restaurants

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Forget I bothered

You know some of us working stiffs are lucky enough to eat without leaving large tip.. That buck they leave maybe coming out of their next meal.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I generally don't eat at truck-stop restaurants. For one thing, dollars aren't as common as you seem to think they are, and for another I'm generally trying to move when I'm on the road. At home, I don't go to restaurants period. I came here and just got another reason why. I can't imagine that dining in a place where the server has a bee in her bonnet would be a pleasant experience.

About having money shaved off of my check because of things beyond my control-- don't ever say I haven't had that happen. It's happened more times than I care to think about, which is one good reason I don't drive for that company anymore. Most any driver who has been at this for a while can tell you of times they lost money because of something they had little or no control over. So-- guess what, it happens to us too! It's not just you! What a surprise.

I never have a "bee in my bonnet" I'm always courteous and professional and thank everyone no matter what they leave if they are still there while I am bussing their table. Which is usually only their glass as I remove other unneeded items as they appear, it's called pre bussing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EO Forums mobile app

And you quit a company because of losing money? Remember how you felt when that happened? Why would anyone intentionally do that to someone else?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

We have learned to live with disappointment and expectations not being Met... I tip what I can afford.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I didn't want to only hear things in agreement with my original post.
I don't think I did that. My original assessment, and recommendations, stands.

The only thing worse than working for tips in a truckstop restaurant is working for tips at a Bonanza, Ponderosa or Ryan's. If you want to make good money in tips work at a restaurant or night club with a bar.

If you want to make just stoopid money be a waitress at Hooters. Seriously. Those girls take home between $2000 and $3000 a week routinely. And, of course, not a one of them actually claims all of the tips they receive. They claim the minimum, just like every other server I know.

I claim more than I actually make here most days so it at least equals minimum wage and the manager doesn't yell at me again for having to give a tip credit, most of us do. As I said, I moved here and there wasn't much to choose from so I accepted this position. I buy dinner at the grocery store to fix with my days wages for my kids. I grab a bite at work if I can and have a small amount deducted from my check for their meal program. I found another job, which offers a base salary as a manager, not a Ton of money, but I'll also get 2.13 plus tips so we are gonna be ok. Just remember all the others who may not have as much experience or education and have to stay put. Thanks...please be safe out there on these roads...everybody!

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I didn't want to only hear things in agreement with my original post. But just not ones so convoluted.

You were hoping to hear everyone agree you and it became clear when you took specific words people used and changed them into different words that fit what you wanted. Then the post that was completely irrelevant and pointless that you were all excited about rather than pointing out no one was comparing the 2 jobs.

By convoluted you mean because I think the job would be difficult to deal with? Or that I said I always tip well because the job isn't one I would want for the money?

If one works hard....doesn't that ,In essence ,make it hard work?

No, it doesn't. It means they are a hard worker, the job could be easy or the job could be hard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I claim more than I actually make here most days so it at least equals minimum wage and the manager doesn't yell at me again for having to give a tip credit, most of us do.
If you ever have to claim more than you made, I can certainly see why you aren't happy there.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

You know some of us working stiffs are lucky enough to eat without leaving large tip.. That buck they leave maybe coming out of their next meal.

I was parked next to a guy that could only afford to put $40 of fuel in his TT until he could get his next dispatch. I'm not sure if it was bad luck or stupidity that had him in that position but there are some really broke people out on the road. Some of the guys that are just getting started end up with almost no paycheck because they are paying for their school and make very little per mile.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Act, I said you have a bee in your bonnet and you most certainly do. This whole thread is about nothing else but the buzzing of that angry bee. Heck, even the chosen username is an attempt to shame us into behaving the way you want us to behave.

You're not my mother. I haven't even met you yet, and you already have me swearing that if I do eat at a restaurant, it won't be yours. Not if I know it's one you work at, at any rate.

Now, how about taking that user name to heart. You want business, good tips? Don't start by angering people who haven't met you yet so they swear never to set foot in your restaurant. People who are mad at you are not likely to give you any business-- they'll go elsewhere. They always do.

Note: The few times I have eaten at a proper restaurant, I've left a decent tip. I'm not overly rich, but I have worked at a restaurant before-- I was a busboy many long years ago-- and I do appreciate good service. I do NOT appreciate being read "The Riot Act" before I even set foot in your establishment. If nobody comes in, you'll know it's me.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It doesn't change the fact that it isn't hard work and I never claimed driving was some physically demanding job.

Sorry Paullud, as someone who has been a server in several capacities and has an extensive background in customer service and management, Being a server is not an extremely hard job Physically from a labor stand point but it is moderately physically demanding and mentally draining which is sometimes more tiring than physical work. Plus the jerks just put icing on the cake.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Then that person shouldn't be buying restaurant meals.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Then that person shouldn't be buying restaurant meals.
Exactly. Again, when you go to a restaurant you are buying two things: food that is prepared for you, and service. If you aren't going to pay for one, you shouldn't be paying for the other. Or you shouldn't be going to restaurants that have service.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

General note, attn: everybody.

First impressions are everything. What you say and the way you act can be the deciding factor in what happens next. In the example in this thread, we have a waitress who has made such an impression on me that I would never knowingly set foot in any restaurant she waits tables at.

It applies to other areas too. Suppose you're looking for a new gig. You stop at a gas-station to use the restroom, and while there you do a little groaning and moaning about the last place you worked for. Then you get to the place you want to sign on at, and so help me the guy you're facing, who makes the decision about whether you drive for that company or not, was at the gas station and he heard you. Guess you won't drive for that company, your first impression on this guy wasn't terribly good.

For those of us who might be dating-- it goes without saying. Come off as a doofus, and there's no way she'll even answer another of your phone calls. Put your best foot forward and behave in a civilized way, and maybe you've got a chance. That first impression determines whether you get a second chance at the bat.

OK-- /semi-off topic rant.