Truck Stop Restaurants

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Forget I bothered

I just thought it's like they're getting paid a percentage of the linehaul like we are! Lol some customers are good some customers aren't and hopefully it averages out at the end of the month

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Sorry Paullud, as someone who has been a server in several capacities and has an extensive background in customer service and management, Being a server is not an extremely hard job Physically from a labor stand point but it is moderately physically demanding and mentally draining which is sometimes more tiring than physical work. Plus the jerks just put icing on the cake.

I completely agree that the job could be demanding at times and I know from when I worked customer service that people can be jerks. My point is to simply compare the money vs work load, if the money doesn't work for you then simply move on to another job. If you look at the skills/abilities a server possesses and move to another job that would match I think the majority of the time the server position wins hands down. Look at a cashier, pretty much the exact same skill set except they have to stand there in one position for hours and don't get to move around. They are under pressure to move the line quickly, deal with jerks, greet customers, deal with customers that can't figure out how to check out, have an accurate drawer count, clean their area, and on top of all that they are stuck on an hourly wage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter

If a person is that short of money spending it in a restaurant is foolish tip or not.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

There are a lot of people that aren't fiscally responsible in the transportation industry.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I just thought it's like they're getting paid a percentage of the linehaul like we are! Lol some customers are good some customers aren't and hopefully it averages out at the end of the month

So your the cheap customer and rely on others to make it up?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Sorry Paul, but a cashier and a restaurant server aren't even remotely similar in terms of skill sets. I have hired both positions and the requirements, and job descriptions, are vastly different. Even the hostess in a restaurant requires a very different set of skills and personalities.

You're the cook who thinks a waitress' job is easy, you're the waitress who thinks the cook's job is a mindless walk in the park, you're the truck driver who thinks being a dispatcher is easy, you're the dispatcher who thinks all drivers do is drive and what's so hard about that.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If you're that short of cash that you can't afford the tip, then don't go into the restaurant unless you work there.

OK. Tips really shouldn't be part of the deal as a requirement. Restaurants should pay their people enough, but the reality is that they don't. They pay like it's 1972, and expect your tips to make up for the difference between 1972 level wages and today's minimum wage. It's only going to get worse too. As long as the law keeps letting restaurants get away with this there is no sign of it changing any time soon for the better. "Act" raised a legitimate issue she just went about it in the worst possible way.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Sorry Paul, but a cashier and a restaurant server aren't even remotely similar in terms of skill sets. I have hired both positions and the requirements, and job descriptions, are vastly different. Even the hostess in a restaurant requires a very different set of skills and personalities.

I see a lot of the skills overlap but I'm not saying that they are exactly the same. If a server didn't want to be a server anymore their skills won't translate to many other jobs so I was just comparing it to one that they would qualify for based on the skill set.

You're the cook who thinks a waitress' job is easy, you're the waitress who thinks the cook's job is a mindless walk in the park, you're the truck driver who thinks being a dispatcher is easy, you're the dispatcher who thinks all drivers do is drive and what's so hard about that.

Not really, I would say none of those jobs would fit the description of hard work except maybe a cook. I'm ignorant on how kitchens are run but if the cook is carrying food around running to the freezer to get stuff, etc in a hot kitchen then it could be tough. None of them require a college degree so when we look at them they are pretty similar until you get to the responsibility level and training which is reflected in the pay. I'm just looking at the positions realistically, some jobs are tougher than others the ones mentioned aren't really much different.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I've given you everyone else's defintion of hard work.

Still waiting on yours. ;)

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I completely agree that the job could be demanding at times and I know from when I worked customer service that people can be jerks. My point is to simply compare the money vs work load, if the money doesn't work for you then simply move on to another job. If you look at the skills/abilities a server possesses and move to another job that would match I think the majority of the time the server position wins hands down. Look at a cashier, pretty much the exact same skill set except they have to stand there in one position for hours and don't get to move around. They are under pressure to move the line quickly, deal with jerks, greet customers, deal with customers that can't figure out how to check out, have an accurate drawer count, clean their area, and on top of all that they are stuck on an hourly wage.

I agree, a good server that knows their business should be working in a job where they make $200 a day. Or you can just not be good enough to get one of those jobs and work at a thankless job in a truck stop...

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Note: The few times I have eaten at a proper restaurant, I've left a decent tip. I'm not overly rich, but I have worked at a restaurant before-- I was a busboy many long years ago-- and I do appreciate good service. I do NOT appreciate being read "The Riot Act" before I even set foot in your establishment. If nobody comes in, you'll know it's me.

I think I haven't seen you there before....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I see a lot of the skills overlap but I'm not saying that they are exactly the same. If a server didn't want to be a server anymore their skills won't translate to many other jobs so I was just comparing it to one that they would qualify for based on the skill set.
You'd be surprised. It helps you thrive under pressure. Being a server is like boot camp for staying calm under stress. You have to contend with several tables demanding everything from a new fork to a bendy straw for their kid, irate sous chefs, and a manager asking you to take just one more table when you're already barely treading water. Crisis management, time management and organizational skills are all transferable. It teaches teamwork. Your performance depends on working in lockstep with the manager, other servers, bussers and kitchen staff. You help each other out and learn to communicate efficiently, effectively and calmly. You don’t take your stress out on co-workers, and you learn how and when to ask for help. These are crucial skills in any job. It also forces you keep and balance a budget. It also teaches the critical importance of "please" and "thank you" which anyone in management knows must be sincere and second nature. It also teaches teaching skills, when you train new employees. And it teaches you to be results oriented, because if you aren't then you won't make squat in tips. You'd be surprised at the transferable skills that can come from being a server in a restaurant. Clearly.

Or you can take the only job available to feed your family in your area instead of applying for food stamps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EO Forums mobile app

I would like to say..though..another position became available. ..I gave notice and now thank God I'm in a high end restaurant starting as FOH manager!! Yay me!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: 1 person

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

We wish you luck.
I've been a server, from restaurants to cocktails to banquets/catering, so I can absolutely understand your frustration. It's how I feel about 4 wheelers who don't think when they cut in front of me & hit the brakes, or just keep trying to squeeeeze past me in a long line of vehicles: jerks!
But, as mjsprt40 noted, you simply blasted us, all of us, without knowing the first thing about us, and that makes me look at your username and think: you first.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I've given you everyone else's defintion of hard work.

Still waiting on yours. ;)

I'm talking about manual labor jobs, where the job itself is hard work.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

So your the cheap customer and rely on others to make it up?

and your the guy who'd let a restaurant go bankrupt because you told everyone to stay away because they couldn't afford a proper tip (note: I did not say NO tip) to the hired help...you'd be real popular to the restaurant owners association....
Hey Joe...why's the place empty to-day?....
Bob: Oh it is the day before payday....and well ya know we don't allow people in who can't pay the FULL tip....