Truck Driver's IQ

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wrote that post knowing that Layout would jump all over me. Ha ha. I was just trying to get a rise ouf of them straight truck boys. Intelligence is all a matter of one's perception. I can be the nastiest - dirty looking - crazy factory worker, truck driver, dock worker, or I can talk-type-and act like one of the most refined politicians. It is all in what you feel is intelligent.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wrote that post knowing that Layout would jump all over me. Ha ha. I was just trying to get a rise ouf of them straight truck boys. Intelligence is all a matter of one's perception. I can be the nastiest - dirty looking - crazy factory worker, truck driver, dock worker, or I can talk-type-and act like one of the most refined politicians. It is all in what you feel is intelligent.

Which is EXACTLY why I jumped! :p

Intelligence comes in many forms. IQ is only one of the ways people try to quantify what cannot be measured in any meaningful way.

What I find amazing is that this thread has not yet died.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's time for a small psychology lesson - and soon enough Turtle will be in here to correct me on all of this! There are different theories of intelligence. I like these three theories. Robert Sternberg - Triarchic Theory of Intelligence:

Psychologist Robert Sternberg defined intelligence as "mental activity directed toward purposive adaptation to, selection and shaping of, real-world environments relevant to one’s life." While he agreed with Gardner that intelligence is much broader than a single, general ability, he instead suggested some of Gardner's intelligences are better viewed as individual talents.

Sternberg proposed what he refers to as 'successful intelligence,' which is comprised of three different factors:

•Analytical intelligence: This component refers to problem-solving abilities.

•Creative intelligence: This aspect of intelligence involves the ability to deal with new situations using past experiences and current skills.

•Practical intelligence: This element refers to the ability to adapt to a changing environment.

So you can see that you have creative intelligence, street smarts - practical intelligcnes for the real world, and then you have book smarts! I happen to think that I have more street smarts over book smarts!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's time for a small psychology lesson - and soon enough Turtle will be in here to correct me on all of this! There are different theories of intelligence. I like these three theories. Robert Sternberg - Triarchic Theory of Intelligence:

Psychologist Robert Sternberg defined intelligence as "mental activity directed toward purposive adaptation to, selection and shaping of, real-world environments relevant to one’s life." While he agreed with Gardner that intelligence is much broader than a single, general ability, he instead suggested some of Gardner's intelligences are better viewed as individual talents.

Sternberg proposed what he refers to as 'successful intelligence,' which is comprised of three different factors:

•Analytical intelligence: This component refers to problem-solving abilities.

•Creative intelligence: This aspect of intelligence involves the ability to deal with new situations using past experiences and current skills.

•Practical intelligence: This element refers to the ability to adapt to a changing environment.

So you can see that you have creative intelligence, street smarts - practical intelligcnes for the real workd, and then you have book smarts! I happen to think that I have more street smarts over book smarts!

I prefer a mix of all of them. I think it would be hard to function without a good mix of things. Too much of one and none of the other and you end up with a genius who cannot function. Like Mr. Norlan.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The triarchic theory of intelligences for expediers by Blizzard:

1. Analytical Intelligence - being able to to quickly and rather efficiently deduce in your mind whether or not a load will be profitable to run and safe to run.

2. Creative Intelligence - Being able to build a bunk, set up an A/C system, and a power system for under 200 dollars!

3. Practical Intelligence - Knowing that any Carrier that pays in over 30 days, or fails to pay on time is a bad carrier, and you do not take another load from that carrier ever!

To summarize my theory in passing: All of these intelligences are needed in order to be an expediter in any vehicle class or type. Without these basic expediter intelligences and instincts one must deduce that one will be broke, without a truck, and on the street in a matter of weeks!

(the last paragraph is to be taken into proper context by being read out loud by the voice of "Johnathan Quail Higgins" from Magnum PI)!

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
eye dunt new. eye gots calage degray sew doo meney utters. sum corepert folk do allso and drive. sew eye bee smert :eek:

That was painful to write. If you can decode that your already in the upper 10%. If you didn't have to decode it, well..... :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
eye dunt new. eye gots calage degray sew doo meney utters. sum corepert folk do allso and drive. sew eye bee smert :eek:

That was painful to write. If you can decode that your already in the upper 10%. If you didn't have to decode it, well..... :rolleyes:

That is "Ebonics" for "I am an NFL lineman, I graduated with a 5.3GPA in face smashing".

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Typed out the way Forrest Gump would say it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When one drives a truck one must take into consideration an assortment of conundrums and enigmas to include, adverse weather, undesiarble drivers, rabid deer waiting in the wings to kill ones ability to generate gainful income, mind-crazed dispatchers who think ones truck can do 100 miles within the span of 15 minutes, and a plethora of start-up expedite company arising daily merely to go out of business by the long weeks end! Must one delve any further into the mindset of one who derives ones' income from the day to day hope, prayer, and general belief that one will receive a notification via, phone, pager, or quallcomm that one will receive sufficient work in ordr to sustain ones' lifestyle of the parking lot! Yes old chap, it does take a lot of intelligence and skill to do what we do!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When one drives a truck one must take into consideration an assortment of conundrums and enigmas to include, adverse weather, undesiarble drivers, rabid deer waiting in the wings to kill ones ability to generate gainful income, mind-crazed dispatchers who think ones truck can do 100 miles within the span of 15 minutes, and a plethora of start-up expedite company arising daily merely to go out of business by the long weeks end! Must one delve any further into the mindset of one who derives ones' income from the day to day hope, prayer, and general belief that one will receive a notification via, phone, pager, or quallcomm that one will receive sufficient work in ordr to sustain ones' lifestyle of the parking lot! Yes old chap, it does take a lot of intelligence and skill to do what we do!

Yeah, and we gotta whole lotta crap to deal with as well!:p

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This thread reminds me of the sitcom "Frasier". Both sons are eminent psychiatrists; neither has a quarter of the common sense their father has. Of course, the dad could not have survived 30 years on a big-city police force without at least a smidgen of common sense....

As for IQ, mine is 142. That and two bucks will get me a 24-oz coffee at Pilot. I will admit that being a near-genius has given me a gift for figuring out sales tax and tips, but by my own admission, I'm not exactly a rocket scientist.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's time for a small psychology lesson - and soon enough Turtle will be in here to correct me on all of this!
Naaa. It's really pretty simple. James is kinda of a tool. No, wait, I mean troll. Nope. Got it right the first time. Then again, the two terms aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Like a Doublemint Twin.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
if you can decode this then you know what i think of this thread!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
if you can decode this then you know what i think of this thread!

Please repeat the 3rd line, it got garbled in transmission. Too much QRM. :p

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This thread reminds me of the sitcom "Frasier". Both sons are eminent psychiatrists; neither has a quarter of the common sense their father has. Of course, the dad could not have survived 30 years on a big-city police force without at least a smidgen of common sense....

As for IQ, mine is 142. That and two bucks will get me a 24-oz coffee at Pilot. I will admit that being a near-genius has given me a gift for figuring out sales tax and tips, but by my own admission, I'm not exactly a rocket scientist.

My younger brother is not a rocket scientist but he works with them for a private contractor. He works on the computer systems and one of the rocket scientists came over and told him the computer wasn't working. My brother went over to look at it and it turned out the computer just hadn't been turned on. There are book smarts and then there are street smarts, you need both to succeed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My younger brother is not a rocket scientist but he works with them for a private contractor. He works on the computer systems and one of the rocket scientists came over and told him the computer wasn't working. My brother went over to look at it and it turned out the computer just hadn't been turned on. There are book smarts and then there are street smarts, you need both to succeed.

Rockets scientists are fun. I used to work with them all the time. I was lucky enough to work with men (sorry ladies, only men) who worked on the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs. I can tell you one thing for sure. I NEVER played against a team with more left handed players on it (9 of 10) before, AND they were REALLY bad. We scored 15 runs in the first against them.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
The people Ive worked with over the years have educated me far beyond any school, my Dad used to make me follow him as he repaired and built things around the house, when i was a kid i wanted to roller skate and play, Im glad I learned these practical things they came in handy long after my dad was gone, he taught me electricity, woodworking, painting, how to use tools, what they did, and he made me keep them clean and take care fo them, again long after Dad was gone i praised him in Heaven for making me do these tasks. Too many smart people dont have common sense, a simple thing that allows you to exist in the world. I graduated from HS, went to trade school, Electrical trade school, and Diesel trade school, worked in Hollywood and saw so many talented people building and creating things, designing and such.....I dont take a PHD from anyone but if you cant change the flap valve in your toilet, yet you can divide Pi by infinite amounts which is more valuable. I dont know what my IQ is, but my Dad taught me lifeskills that I wouldnt exchange for the highest college degree.