Truck crapped the bed yesterday

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I see those head gasket sealers at the parts stores,don't know if the make on for big trks.If you put enough in to seal the leak,or slow it down ya may be able to get it back to M.I.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey TennesseaHawk what a total bummer. We also have a FL century ours is an 04 and it's an automatic tranny, what sort of tranny does yours have? Where there any tell tale signs before it blew a head? anything different? Just thought perhaps another lesson we could learn from your unfortunate one. Thanks for any insights you can offer.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Muse... great post. I forgot to share that.

The heat in the cab started to go intermittent, then stopped. The antifreeze level dropped to nil. It went into the oilpan.

moose

Veteran Expediter

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Blue Devil head gasket sealer sold at Auto Zone worked in my 4 wheeler! Cost is high $59.95 but it worked! Showing 9 gallon cooling per treatment.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Another tell tale sign of a blown head gasket is coolant or a white milky substance on the oil dipstick.How long have you had the Blue Devil in your van hdxpedx? is it gas or diesel ?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
what year is the truck,you would be surprized,dealers willl do wanders when trying tpo sell you a truck

You are so right. Dealers are begging and making deals, kissing notes (recourse) they are hungry. Almost a pain in the *%^&* calling, with a better deal than the other guy. A big Hooey.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Another tell tale sign of a blown head gasket is coolant or a white milky substance on the oil dipstick.How long have you had the Blue Devil in your van hdxpedx? is it gas or diesel ?

Gas, but I went thru everything else first. Then a mechanic told me in Richmond it worked for their shop. It's a clear blue liquid pour, and once it set's up it looks like DISOLVED powdery road salt on the highway. I did follow directions and flushed first then pour...BINGO!

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Depends if its a blown head gasket or craked head.As long as it will start you can drive it to a dealership and trade it,just don't say anything of what you believe.Even if water is in your oil,you could drive the truck.If water lays on a piston,you wont be able to start the truck.I once drove a truck for a year with a cracked head

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
How long has this Blue Devil stuff held so far?

3 months so far.. I drained some out added anti-freeze then poured the rest into a diesel. Holding it's own..compared to the shop manuals I'm still dancing I didn't have to tear down and rebuild..

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Take it to a dealer and don't tell them anything. So the next customer gets your troubles. In my humble opinion, that's no way to treat a Dealer, another Expediter or anyone else for that matter.;)

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I would tell whoever i sold it to,my point was getting it from point a to point b use the sealer save the tow or being stuck somewhere.Now i don't know what kinda other damage the sealer might do to the Radiator or Heatercore,or if someone were to want to repair the Head Gasket,would you spend hours getting the sealer outta the cooling system.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Rent a pick up truck and a car dolly and make a road trip. I have done it several times before. I would take Mr. Elliot up on his offer!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if you think im being dishonest about what i said,wait 'til someday you buy a used truck from the dealer,he tells you it just had a overhaul les than 100000 miles ago,and it blows up the first trip.that happened to me,1984 from a dealer in richfield ohio.before most dealer resell there used trucks they check them out,so if it did have a bad head or head gasket,they would fix it before selling it,and besides that,when you buy a used truck,you should have an oil sample done.If there is fuel in the oil it will show up,even if there isn't any miles on the motor.I the head gasket is bad,it will put water in the oil just from starting it.
Another thing,car or truck,when you trade your getting screwed any way,so how does this go,buyer beware

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
and talking of dishonesty.I took a truck to a dealer, motor had a miss,and check engine light was coming on.they told me it was a cracked head,so I traded it off,and they discounted the truck thr price of a new head and labor.turned out,the head was ok,problem was in the cam sensor.did they give me more money for my truck,answer was no.