tricking the qc

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I just received a newer style qualcomm unit. It has the slide out keyboard, and the control box has a number of usb ports. The system is set up to accept a document scanner that came with this set up. Has anyone managed to hook their own scanner to an arrangement like this? I still like my flatbed scanner for scanning batches of small stuff.

eb

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's windows based so I'm sure if you have the drivers it would work. I know you can use it to charge cell phones.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I was able to find the drivers to let me use the QC scanner with my laptop, but i didn't look for the drivers to use my scanner with the QC....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The trick will be whether or not we have the right kind user privileges to install software, like scanner and printer drivers, in order to use our own scanners/printers with the QC.

I haven't tried yet, but I plan on it. It would be nice to be able to use the flatbed scanner for those documents that the DocketPort doesn't like, and to print out the load information screens so we have something other than a piece of scratch paper with stuff scribbled on it for when the shipper says "What's the address you're taking it to?"

Well, you can use a flatbed now. Scan it, then upload it via the Missing Paperwork on FleetVision. But it would be a lot simpler if we could scan directly into the QC with out own scanner, especially since there are no guidelines on FleetVision as to document type or document resolution (pdf, jpg, tiff? 150, 200, 300 dpi? Grayscale, color, or duotone?).

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
...and to print out the load information screens so we have something other than a piece of scratch paper with stuff scribbled on it for when the shipper says "What's the address you're taking it to?"
Yep. I use trip forms for that purpose, so the shipper can see the details of the load, and I have a hard copy for my records. The print out would save the biggest part of my scribe work on any load.

eb

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The trick will be whether or not we have the right kind user privileges to install software, like scanner and printer drivers, in order to use our own scanners/printers with the QC.

I haven't tried yet, but I plan on it. It would be nice to be able to use the flatbed scanner for those documents that the DocketPort doesn't like, and to print out the load information screens so we have something other than a piece of scratch paper with stuff scribbled on it for when the shipper says "What's the address you're taking it to?"

A lowtech solution works well, and you probably never even thought of it, lol.
I composed a sheet to enter all pertinent info, with blank space left for directions, notes, etc. Easy visual checks of details like tolls [delivery date circled], a checkmark in upper right corner indicates copy made, original BOL in envelope for Load 1, and a running total of weekly DH, load miles, and $ [not identified as $, just a series of numbers to anyone else looking at it].
Every bit of info is there, and retrievable in less than a minute, any day/week/month of the year, by pulling the sheets from the correct monthly pocket of the yearly organizer thingamajig.
Works for me. :)

Well, you can use a flatbed now. Scan it, then upload it via the Missing Paperwork on FleetVision. But it would be a lot simpler if we could scan directly into the QC with out own scanner, especially since there are no guidelines on FleetVision as to document type or document resolution (pdf, jpg, tiff? 150, 200, 300 dpi? Grayscale, color, or duotone?).

antwolf

Not a Member

Now this is why I rely so much on Turtle's replies or posts for that matter, and please, I put no one on any kind of pedistlule (maybe its the right spelling, and maybe its not), who gives a flying f??k. Anyhoo, Turtle, as un'flawed as he may seem, is completely flawed and that's alright by me. He learned his craft one day at a time, and continues to show just how much he cares for his fellow expediters.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Some of those units can get access to the "control panel" to install the drivers and if you are nice to your company IT people, they can push the install to the unit through qualcomm. The joys of being cheap and developing on MS mobile OS.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
A lowtech solution works well, and you probably never even thought of it, lol.
I composed a sheet to enter all pertinent info, with blank space left for directions, notes, etc. Easy visual checks of details like tolls [delivery date circled], a checkmark in upper right corner indicates copy made, original BOL in envelope for Load 1, and a running total of weekly DH, load miles, and $ [not identified as $, just a series of numbers to anyone else looking at it].
Every bit of info is there, and retrievable in less than a minute, any day/week/month of the year, by pulling the sheets from the correct monthly pocket of the yearly organizer thingamajig.
Works for me. :)
Cheri, something like this?

Attachments

• sml load.jpg
    sml load.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 50

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The spacing for the mounting screws for the qc console matched my computer RAM mount set up. The screws are #8-32 x 1/2". The screw just bottoms out when tight, so it would probably be best if I used a washer. I have extra screws if anyone needs them.

eb

Attachments

• qcmountfrt.jpg
    qcmountfrt.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 38
  • qcmountbk.jpg
    qcmountbk.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 36

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri, something like this?

Something like that - but tailored for my own needs, including miles [dh & load], pay, times in & out at both ends, and time scanned, too.
Each week's pros are paper clipped & dropped into the pocket of the month in a 12 pocket organizer, so I can find any of them in a flash, if need be.
Now, if I could just find that roll of 100 postage stamps I knocked off it's hook the other day - time to clean under the bed, I guess. :eek:

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
The spacing for the mounting screws for the qc console matched my computer RAM mount set up. The screws are #8-32 x 1/2". The screw just bottoms out when tight, so it would probably be best if I used a washer. I have extra screws if anyone needs them.

eb

My newbyness is coming to play. Whats the deal with qc required from your carrier or by decision.?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC