TK

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I dont dont understand how can be T&k a 5 star carrier on this site. No authority, no pay the drivers....If this carrier is a 5 star carrier, what kind of carrier get 1 or 2 stars?

I drive for a 10 star carrier. 5 stars is a little weak in my opinion....

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I agree. We wall have breakdowns. We try to assist our good partner carriers whenever possible. Goes around comes around. We had a partner carrier with a load in Tx and the driver went to the hospital. We went there, recovered the van and the load, delivered it and returned the van. Maybe it wasn't profitable but good karma is a GOOD thing in my book.

There you go Newb and wanna be Carriers. Cooperate and Graduate is the way, if you choose
to be successful. I once had a truck in Laredo, empty. Trans Stewart had a truck oos at the scalehouse North of there, I offered the truck with a liftgate, dock plate and jack to rescue the load at a buck a mile, all miles, roughly $350. Got a call from them wondering why I was trying to rip them off when they needed help. I guess tho Cooperation will not always beget Cooperation. Do your vetting and choose carefully whom you attempt to Cooperate with.

BTW, who is this Peter fella and TK? Musta come to the Alliance after I retired.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Pretty simple. They bid on loads that go to say Detroit. Only need a hour or so between drops to unload them. Very easy.

Whoa there Dave.....I always figured you didn't want to complicate the simple???

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I only pop five hour energy drinks and coffee.

Ya, coffee every tank and a Monster on rare occasion is it for me. I think my toughest was a "day" I did a Dayton, OH to New Baltimore, MI then a pick from Bad Axe to Stephenville, TX direct, then back to Dallas to sleep. I usually average about 15-20 mph higher than the protect times so I was able to nap in Rolla, MO for a couple of hours and still beat the protect by several hours at least. But there were a couple of really tough hours in there before I came to my senses and napped.

jamesr

Active Expediter
Really if drivers talk and ones that work with the companies that have not payed them in months thats is not a business model problem that is a company problem for us we do not have a problem paying drivers in fact general payroll turn around is at the max 14 days from the time we get the paperwork in.
For the broker side I think it is less than 30 days.
So business models for using independent drivers are not all bad and generally my thinking is this for something that might happen to freight "sh** happens" but independents carry their own insurances as well as the company they work with carries insurances so generally speaking the freight is protected by the drivers insurance listing company as additional insured as well as the companys insurance.
Not to say that it dose not take more work to do it right but it can be done as well as keeping insurances current and active is on the company.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Really if drivers talk and ones that work with the companies that have not payed them in months thats is not a business model problem that is a company problem for us we do not have a problem paying drivers in fact general payroll turn around is at the max 14 days from the time we get the paperwork in.
For the broker side I think it is less than 30 days.
So business models for using independent drivers are not all bad and generally my thinking is this for something that might happen to freight "sh** happens" but independents carry their own insurances as well as the company they work with carries insurances so generally speaking the freight is protected by the drivers insurance listing company as additional insured as well as the companys insurance.
Not to say that it dose not take more work to do it right but it can be done as well as keeping insurances current and active is on the company.

In a perfect world, that would all be dandy. Reality says otherwise. All you have to do is read all the problems some of them have. Some companies well intented start out ok but are undercapitalized. Freight slows and suddenly they start slow paying or not paying at all. And we know the rest of the story.
As for insurance, same thing. Some start out right and then when things get tight, they start cutting or reducing coverage. Happens all the time. Shelley has a good three part article addressing this from CIS.
Bottom line, depends on the risks one wants to be exposed to.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Kind of gotten off track. Has anybody decided or found out whether or not TK is out of business??
I just saw two large ads advertising for trucks. Anybody know what the deal is??

Besides that Happy 4th and ya'll be safe.