TK

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nope

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

It's not the norm, but I am just trying to prove a point here. If you can't handle the miles then don't take the load. I have had to turn down loads before because I didn't feel rested enough to complete them in a safe and professional manner. I don't see what the problem is running 2200 miles in 46 hours if you get enough rest along the way. After I run like that I usually get a hotel room for 24 hours and take it easy. You just have to know your limitations.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I once left Semi Valley California on a Friday night and arrived 6 hours early in Daytona Beach Florida on Monday morning at 1 am! That was a 2500 mile run and I did it in a little over 2 days. I also got plenty of sleep along the way. I pulled that run for LRT in 2011. I once did a Semi Valley California to Laredo in 30 hours. The last two hours of the run when I was on that stretch from Eagle Pass Texas to Laredo, my cell phone service cut out, and I couldn't provide an update. Panther told Charles it's truck 107, he's always early, he'll probably deliver early. And guess what; I delivered 3 hours early. That is how I run my business.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And don't do drugs to extend your limits!!!!

I only pop five hour energy drinks and coffee. The hardest run I ever did was when Bolt called me at 10 O'clock at night to make a 12 am pick-up and deliver direct 600 miles. I had just fallen to sleep after being up since 8 am in the morning. I didn't take my expediter nap that day. I took the load because I needed the money. I did fine until the last 150 miles. I had to stop and sleep for 30 minutes and then roll the window down for the last 2 hours of the trip even though it was 40 degrees outside. I made it to the delivery on time. That was probably a bad choice looking back on the situation, but that is how I am. You call me at midnight and 15 minutes later I'm rolling down the road with a cup of coffee in my hand. Why be in service if you can't provide good customer service?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now I just type about my old stories because I miss driving. I don't know if I can provide that level of customer service on a consistent basis in my current physical condition. I do know one thing that If I ever take another load, it will be delivered on time or early. I don't care if I'm half dead. Maybe that's why I'm in my current situation. Maybe I pushed myself too hard. But if you can perform in a safe and professional manner I don't see a problem with it.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thats not A solo thats a super solo

Charles will tell you that I used to drive like that. I think I did that Compton to Toledo when I was working for Demaris Transportation. I don't see the problem seeing that there are no regulations on vehicles that are under 10,000 LBS GVWR.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Super-Solo
That was, or is, a classification at Heartland. For those teams where one partner only wants a 5 or 6 hr shift.

Actually works pretty well in quite a few cases.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There should be, this is unsafe and dangerous.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

There is a driver in your June forum that just claimed he drove 25 hours straight. lol. How is this unsafe? I told you that I got plenty of rest along the way. How is it unsafe? Heck, the US Military did a sleep study, and they claim that the human body only needs 4 hours of sleep per night. Cargo vans are not regulated and we operate our businesses accordingly. Until they regulate the vans I will be the one who decides what is safe and unsafe for me.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that is the one solid advantage of smaller companies is that they can provide better customer service. There is a lot at stake when you are a smaller operation. That is a fact if the owner of the company understands how customer service works. Some owners are more concerned with making a quick buck than they are with getting the freight delivered on time. I was overly paranoid about loads when I was running my small carrier. I would always monitor my drivers and provide timely updates to my partner carriers.

When I get back into the business end of things after the recession passes I'm going to be the best customer service based company on Sylectus. I already have my new corporation set up. I'm just waiting for the right time to go live with it. Another thing is getting your paperwork turned in as fast as possible. I know of some carriers that have had missing BOL's for almost two months. That right there is terrible customer service. I used to be able to locate bills of lading over a year old and fax them to my partner carriers within five minutes upon request.

Most of the time I'd even remember the load and which one of my drivers was on that load. As a small carrier/business owner you have to have a really good memory. You have to be able to do five things at the same time. A lot of people simply aren't cut out for that type of performance.

This and keeping status updates current is a very big deal in my operation as well. And I hope think all the other trucks at F2F. It's always been my thought that if anyone ever called me wanting to know "where are you at, what are you doing?" that counts as a service failure in my book. Now sometimes it gets hectic but I can always call. Too many drivers and o/o out here, especially when they have years of experience have this attitude, "give me the load and I'll take care of it don't bother me with calls" just completely dropping the ball on service with that mindset.

That's how almost everyone provides service and nothing special about it all. And it doesn't matter that the load is not hot either - an agent just never knows when he might get a call from the customer "hey, what's that truck doing with my load" expecting an answer in about 15 seconds.. ..do you say, give me a second and I'll look it up, or do you say, well, give me 15 or 20 minutes, I've got to call the driver, or even worse call the carrier then they have to contact the driver.. They're paying the freight and you're supposed to know that's your job, as it is the drivers to keep everyone informed and up to date.

The timely paperwork deal, you're spot on with that too. And people tell me there's no way to pull rates like I average with a 53' dry van and ask me "just how is it you do anything different I pick and deliver on time".. ..well there's more to it than that and when you communicate effectively and well.. ..you can keep your truck loaded and you can command rates. Another big thing about drivers dropping the ball, breaking down and not telling anyone until 5 minutes before apt time... ..breakdowns happen..

I had one on a somewhat hot expedite load several months ago when my power divider gave out. Luckily I was only about 80 miles away from a trusted shop who could get right on the problem and fix it asap. Equally lucky is my buddy who is also leased here just happened to be at home, he'd just come off of a good week and was looking forward to relaxing. He agreed to bobtail up and grab my trailer finishing out the load, this was a Sylectus load, it was a great load awesome rate - a payback for "helping out" on a straight truck load they couldn't cover a few weeks before.. ..I even offered to juice the rate a couple $100 out of my own pocket just cause he went to the trouble.

But the rate was very good, I didn't have to do that, I offered it, but of course my friend refused... Ok, so the truck broke, I pulled over, and in a matter of 15 minutes I had worked out where I was taking it and how to get the load covered.. And so I called the agent and explained, apologized, but told him the game plan and said we were good to get the load finished even if a few hours late. It was a service failure of course, 3 hours late, but we didn't leave anyone out in the cold and we did what we could to finish the job in an amicable manner without telling them "sorry it's broke, nothing I can do til it's fixed, load will get there, when it gets there....." That was a terrible week for me no doubt lol, but we made the right impression there. Who out here picking off loadboards does such as that? ***crickets chirping****

Yes, my rates are considered expensive by many who have heard the quotes (laughed, yelled at, screamed at hung up, and then "ok, lets see if we can make that work"), and some say there's no way. That's all fine and dandy I know what I'm I'm doing and I ain't working for peanuts. There is a reason my rates are what they are. You get exactly what you pay for in this or anything. And reflecting on what old time expediters have to say about rates 20 or 30 years ago, well, it makes me feel cheap.. ..but the competition is so fierce, gotta start somewhere..

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
There should be, this is unsafe and dangerous.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

What's unsafe? Every time I go to or thru TX and west I average 72, with. QUICK pit stops. That's 32 hours of driving.
So.....
Drive 11
Stop 7
Drive 11
Stop 7
Drive 10

Heck, that's SAFE CAKE!!!! Or that SHOULD be safe AND cake for every van/Sprinter/cube driver calling themselves an expeditor.

Am I wrong?!?!??

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This and keeping status updates current is a very big deal in my operation as well. And I hope think all the other trucks at F2F. It's always been my thought that if anyone ever called me wanting to know "where are you at, what are you doing?" that counts as a service failure in my book. Now sometimes it gets hectic but I can always call. Too many drivers and o/o out here, especially when they have years of experience have this attitude, "give me the load and I'll take care of it don't bother me with calls" just completely dropping the ball on service with that mindset.

That's how almost everyone provides service and nothing special about it all. And it doesn't matter that the load is not hot either - an agent just never knows when he might get a call from the customer "hey, what's that truck doing with my load" expecting an answer in about 15 seconds.. ..do you say, give me a second and I'll look it up, or do you say, well, give me 15 or 20 minutes, I've got to call the driver, or even worse call the carrier then they have to contact the driver.. They're paying the freight and you're supposed to know that's your job, as it is the drivers to keep everyone informed and up to date.

The timely paperwork deal, you're spot on with that too. And people tell me there's no way to pull rates like I average with a 53' dry van and ask me "just how is it you do anything different I pick and deliver on time".. ..well there's more to it than that and when you communicate effectively and well.. ..you can keep your truck loaded and you can command rates. Another big thing about drivers dropping the ball, breaking down and not telling anyone until 5 minutes before apt time... ..breakdowns happen..

I had one on a somewhat hot expedite load several months ago when my power divider gave out. Luckily I was only about 80 miles away from a trusted shop who could get right on the problem and fix it asap. Equally lucky is my buddy who is also leased here just happened to be at home, he'd just come off of a good week and was looking forward to relaxing. He agreed to bobtail up and grab my trailer finishing out the load, this was a Sylectus load, it was a great load awesome rate - a payback for "helping out" on a straight truck load they couldn't cover a few weeks before.. ..I even offered to juice the rate a couple $100 out of my own pocket just cause he went to the trouble. But the rate was very good, I didn't have to do that, I offered it, but of course my friend refused... Ok, so the truck broke, I pulled over, and in a matter of 15 minutes I had worked out where I was taking it and how to get the load covered.. And so I called the agent and explained, apologized, but told him the game plan and said we were good to get the load finished even if a few hours late. It was a service failure of course, 3 hours late, but we didn't leave anyone out in the cold and we did what we could to finish the job in an amicable manner without telling them "sorry it's broke, nothing I can do til it's fixed, load will get there, when it gets there....." That was a terrible week for me no doubt lol, but we made the right impression there. Who out here picking off loadboards does such as that? ***crickets chirping****

I never had one of my trucks break down. That is a tough situation. That is a situation where the owner of the company is up all night trying to solve the problem. What gets me is the fact that carriers will often times take advantage of you when you have a broke down truck. The rate is double or triple the normal bid when they know you're desperate to get a load covered. But sometimes you have to pay to take care of your customers. You're right; communication is the key. I was on the phone to my customer right when I lost communication with that truck. I don't wait until the last minute to call a customer and let them know that there is a problem. You have to be proactive when you are in the transportation business. Sometimes I will call a customer 5 hours before the scheduled delivery time and let them know that my drivers GPS unit has them running 15 minutes behind schedule. It makes all of the difference in the world.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree. We wall have breakdowns. We try to assist our good partner carriers whenever possible. Goes around comes around. We had a partner carrier with a load in Tx and the driver went to the hospital. We went there, recovered the van and the load, delivered it and returned the van. Maybe it wasn't profitable but good karma is a GOOD thing in my book.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Claiming to drive 24 straight is stoping only for fuel, food or rest room break. If your taking rest breaks, well I wouldn't call that driving straight through.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Another prime example of why the multi-carrier model doesn't work. A lot of people who work for multiple carriers get ripped off all of the time. A lot of the smaller companies are in bad financial shape these days due to a slow economy and degrading freight rates. I'm not sure If T&K is actually having any financial problems, but a lot of people are right now. When a carrier goes bankrupt usually a lot of drivers are left without a paycheck. When you play Russian Roulette, sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Not really. There are at least as many carriers who do not allow multi-contracting who have gone by the wayside as there are carriers who have allowed multi-contracting who have rolled over. A lot more if you look over the past 10 years.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Blizz, on the home page of EO are the blogs. Shelly had a great one probably in the last week talking about insurance claims in the multi-carrier model.

Too late to edit.

I should have added the above referenced blog is one EVERY vanner should read.