Tired of everyone going "off-subject"

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I've been reading posts on here daily for probably the past 6 months...And I feel this needs to be said, sorry if I ruffle any feathers.......well, on second thought, I"m not sorry.
I read this morning the post from the guy looking for a good, honest o/o to contact his friends and talk with them about expediting....
I actually felt sorry for that guy.....He went to what everyone on here claims to be "the place to go" for info.....He just wanted to help a friend.....What happened? He had to sort thru all the b-s
One response said that "why doesn't the guy go on-line to this forum and check himself"? Didn't even try to offer any information, just wanted to throw his 2 cents in, even if it didn't have anything to do with the original question. And the "poster" even said that his friend didn't have internet access, that he was out with the truck most of the time!!!
What happened?? The man was made fun of by someone and then "off it went", totally off-subject!!!!!!!
This is turning into not an informative forum, but a regular chatroom.
I can't figure out sometimes how a post goes from "information" to a long drawn out response to "Phil bashing", whoever Phil is....and I don't want to know!!!
Not sure how everyone else feels, but I'm tired of reading someone's post and having to go thru all the b.s. that goes along with the response..........
There!! I feel better! Wonder if it'll go any good though.....I doubt it!!!!!!!

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome to the Internet and posting forums... that is just the way it is so may as well accept it. :)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what would be the best way to treat painful rectal itch?

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Moot....
I hear they have some new cleansing wipes that should help with that issue, but if they dont the cream usually helps.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Suds. You are correct in your observation. The EO forums have recently been plagued by excessive off-topic threads, outright insults and other inappropriate comments by all manner of individuals. Recently, the Moderators of these forums have been accused of bashing an individual when all they were trying to do was to set the record straight on an opinion about which they disagreed. Let’s face it; some people exaggerate the average driver’s or O/O’s potential in here just as they do on the CB or a truck stop coffee counter. Are the Moderators always correct in their comments or actions? Of course not; neither are some other types of internet denizens who visit EO, from time to time.

We have seen many EO posters who maintain one or more EO accounts. Some of these dual personalities pile onto a person or subject with whom they disagree and dilute the quality of a thread. We have evidence of a person who posts topics under one screen name and is quick to agree with the topic using another screen name, perhaps to satisfy an inflated ego. We have posters who are registered members of EO and other trucking web sites who come to EO to create the flame fests that annoy all of us. We have non-trucker members who seem to feel the need to frequently comment but have little or no information of value to share. There are other examples but I won’t belabor the point.

EO has long been recognized as "The expedited freight information center", but like all things internet, quality and consistency on EO is cyclical in nature. I would venture an experienced observation that most of the core group of EO posters is comprised of professional and courteous folks who lend their expertise and knowledge in the EO Forums and thru Private Messages, E-Mail and telephonic communication with people who come to EO seeking answers or information about expediting.

Suds’ comment is appropriate and timely and a good reminder that most of us are capable of keeping comments on this site professional where necessary, lighthearted where appropriate and in keeping with the intent of each of the Forums at all times. We can learn and have an enjoyable time without the insanity

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
RE: Tired of everyone going

Terry,

Very well said. Let's keep "on topic".

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

37% of Americans agree that while they would hate being British, they wouldn't mind having a British accent.

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

I hate the country, all those animals walking around un-cooked.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you terryandrene, I appreciate that.....
I just always wonder what "outsiders" think when they read some of the responses. Most are writing in here looking for an answer, or some info.
Oh well, what will be, will be........IF the moderators know of these people that have dual identies on here, why not delete and ban them from the site???
When I read the questions that are sent it, if I think I can be of some help or can steer then in the direction where they can find the asnwer, I'll write in........but I don't just respond just for the sake of responding......
A few laughs on here?? Sure!! I, like everyone else, get a kick out of some of the things written on here.........
Oh well, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents........
This forum can be invaluable to any that want to use it in the way it was meant.....Guess they'll always be the few that go overboard....
I have about 3 yrs. in expedited, "D" unit, and learn something new just about everytime I get on here.....
Thanks for letting me "spout off".........Ya'll have a great day and a safe week!!!
:)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Terry's post is spot on.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter

The tangents that some of these conversations take are what really keep me coming back.
I ve found owners to drive for, companies to work for and even bought a truck from an advertiser here, all from EO.
If it wasnt for some of the liveliness occasionally it would get pretty ##### boring, and I for one wouldnt read these threads as much, and in turn wouldnt frequent the site as much. Keep it lively... if somebody has something (reasonably intelligent) to say they should be aloud to say it, nobody gets hurt.

fortwayne

Not a Member

In many of my previous post and I do mean MANY post I would either insult everyone or ##### about how everyone else was in the wrong and I was in the right.....and everyone could kiss my, well you get the point.
Since then, I have tried to ask serious questions but some of these people want to bring up the past and bla bla bla.
You can not ask a question once you have offended someone, stepped out of line, etc.
I made plenty of mistakes in the past and now certain people on this site just will not let it go. My thought is I can't wait to meet some of these yahoos on the road and then we can see if they are as tough as they act behind a mouse pad.
More than likely they are pretty cool people but its just like a trucker - we will act one way on a cb but be someone totally different at the breakfast counter.
Just don't make a complaint or bitc* on this site - you are never forgiven! Just watch the post after this one and see the insults and loonies bring up my past AGAIN........

Fort Wayne
Like Is Good!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hey FtWayne, want a piece of me tough guy? I just pulled of the information super highway at exit 37. I am in a white Chevy van. I'm waiting for you. Just kidding! I am sure all will be forgiven if you give it time.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Fortwayne
I adopted a 'wait and see' attitude with you this time, but sense you brought it up... you know the reasons you were suspended before. Comments including not so veiled threats like "I can't wait to meet some of these yahoos on the road and then we can see if they are as tough as they act behind a mouse pad." .. are exactly why.

You were given a second chance, something few get... but it will disapear with posts like this.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

fortwayne

Not a Member

Dreamer -
I just sent you a private message so please read it. I will leave it at that because I am not going to lower myself into a verbal disbute with you. But, you really took that statement the wrong way.
"Veiled threats" - please.....you took it the WRONG WAY.

Fort Wayne
Like Is Good!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

sixwheeler said " If it wasnt for some of the liveliness occasionally it would get pretty ##### boring, and I for one wouldnt read these threads as much, and in turn wouldnt frequent the site as much. Keep it lively... if somebody has something (reasonably intelligent) to say they should be aloud to say it, nobody gets hurt."

Well said.....Did you know most advertizing is sold on a per click basis kinda like the Neilson ratings..A good hot discussion is worth alot of clicks with people coming in a watching, reading the goings on...thats why the mods will let things go on for a time before locking or deleting. The owner of the site while wanting to be looking professional also knows what pays the bills. Just go to Alexa and search this site and track the clicks for awhile and watch them spike when Greg and Ateam have one of them "discussions" the watch it drop when things return to "professional"
This site is like all others out there it's click driven..no clicks, no ads, no money, no site...it's economics.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

OVM I believe you are correct in the correlation of clicks and bucks, but I can assure you of one certainty, no Moderator ever considers advertisers or their ad costs when removing, locking, archiving or editing any thread or post. Problems arise when someone posts negative comments about a poster or advertiser without factual substantiation. We aren't always correct in our actions, but we try to allow as much leeway as possible when keeping threads alive and untouched. Many may disagree with me and my comments, but that's the way I believe it to be.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Terry...I have no doubt in what you believe...and I am sure others will disagree with your position as some will disagree with mine....I quite anticapate one of our armchair experts will set me straight in one way or another...*L*

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Fortwayne,
If it was not a veiled threat I apologize. I did see it that way, as did others who wondered why I left the post stand.

Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully, and no further insults by PM needed.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

robh2

Veteran Expediter

I know this is only my second post but one of the reasons that I haven't tried to get involved here sooner is because this and other forums are getting worse and worse. My boss uses the excuse at work that my coworkers don't do this and that because that is just the way it is. Well, I don't buy it. We are all professional adults that need to take responsibility for our actions and not use excuses of that is just how it is. Now my boss has taken that to heart and everything at work is getting so much better now.

Let's try and help each other and be friendly and professional about it.

Cant we all just get along. :+

Robert

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

A thread going off tangent has been very mixed. Often, it disintegrates into useless ramble. But usually, it evolves into something more. Personally, I've thought of things related to said topic, but wasn't being discussed. And I've also seen it happen many times. Brainstorms vs keeping on topic? I'll take the tangent, thanx.

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.