Tire troubles

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Passion. That's a good analagy Grog. Seems always a rabble rouser around to get one deeper in if, ya listen to them too much. Redytrk, i'd bone up on loging procedures in case you get in a somewhat protracted repair issue while under load. Might allow you to finish the task.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Col... not with a qc breathing down your neck.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ahh but, what's wrong with some line 4 to salvage some driving time?? Unless there has been a change we still got 14 total before a break.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Back when I had the Ford E-350 van, I had a crate loaded on there that was supposed to be 750 pounds. The van bottomed out. Whoa. I had them take it back off and weigh it, while I watched. Sure enough, scale said 750 pounds, straight up. Now, those Ford vans can actually handle a lot more weight than their GVW, certainly 4000 pounds, but this one still worried me.

I told them I'd take it, but that my first stop would be a scale and have the van weighed. I indicated my empty weight on the BOL and showed them a copy of my most receipt empty weight ticket, which was still currently accurate. Then I drove about 6 miles to the nearest scale and weighed in at the Flying J. The crate showed as weighing 5222.

My next stop was at the shipper. :)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I want to know thwe company that you are leased too if you would please share that with everyone. Yes their are a few things that you should have done at the pickup. 1st Clue was to get the truck weight after a tire was blown, but seeing how you was new to that truck I can understand. Every truck doesn't drive the same.

2nd was you said the freight felt like you was hauling tote's. Tote's are a lot of weight and If the truck was rocking like that then it would have gotten weight ASAP.

I think Your Company should thank you for not wanting you to move a load that could have killed you and someone else if this would have went on longer without the toll road telling you that you was over weight.

If you kept hauling the freight and couldn't stop and killed someone and yourself who would be paying out millions in claims? Your Company!!! Think about it as the kid from Brooklyn.com says all the time. Check him out, he is funnie. http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/

Have a great one Dave

will robinson

Seasoned Expediter
Drove for panther and had several times when the
shipper would try to overload the truck.

Started a habit of notifying shipper and panther that
if load felt funny would scale out the load at the
nearest truckstop.

Had to go back a few times and have the shipper take off extra freight.
It's cheaper to pay the $8-9 scale fee than go to jail and or have a wreck for being overweight ot pay fine at scalehouse.

Be Safe.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
We have our drivers scale any load that is over 9k.....to make certain it is loaded correctly and not overloaded...we reimburse them for the cost of scaling..so there is no reason not to..other than saving themselves the cost of a fine. Many shippers have told drivers..we have a little more we want to put on ...they call pantehr and panther I am sure says..we have a little more we want to charge you :p Bottom line we find them the closest scale to the shipper so we can go back if need be. Don;t be so hard on yourself...at least you were aware enough to KNOW something did not feel right. I always hope my drivers learn from MY mistakes and I tell them my story of driving tractor trailer and trusting the dock to load correctly..I was in Ca and picking up a load at Conway....it was a saturday and we were last truck loaded. Took their word (the onsite scale was broken) and took off. Crossed CA to AZ and hit scalehouse....ending up paying quartzsite 2800$ for being overweight on an axle. I have never since not scaled a questionable load. We all learn.....it just so happens that in the process of learning from our mistakes it tends to cost us a little more money cause we choose to not have our careers backed by corporate america and take responsibility ourselves.

-Charlotte

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
HA! It's funny to see this thread back up here, but, since it is, here's the follow up; After however many weeks it has been, and, after leaving it up to the agent and my operations coordinator to work out, nothing was ever accomplished, so, when my retread blew apart all over the highway, (and we knew it would, did'nt we.x( ), i finally got the operations manager on the phone and he had it settled in two days. It was'nt really what i wanted to hear, but, i got paid a buck twenty-five a mile for all miles driven and the agent danced around the tire issue like Fred Astaire. :( Well, sometimes i wonder about the big picture issue's, things like devine providence or what have you, And i recieved several calls from boss man at my old outfit. He told me they were extremly busy and would love to have me back. Then he went on to offer several incentives designed to grab my intrest }> . The biggest reason for my departure was the slowness of freight in the detroit area, but, the biggest obsticle working for landstar turned out to be the hugeness of the buisness and trying to seperate, and segregate, and deal with an entity with so many different moving parts. It's quite a system they have over there, and i'm sure it works out spectacurly for some...just not this some :( . So, i guess i'll take my thousand dollar tire and my life lesson and go play in my own back yard :D