Time Warp

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in the Central Time Zone but when working I operate on Eastern Time or as Leo refers to it, Panther Time. As expediters the majority of us conduct our business using Eastern Time. I propose we all use the Eastern Time Zone here on E.O.

After you read this post, please take a few minutes and go to your control panel. Click on the Edit Options and scroll down to Time And Date Options. Set your time for Eastern Standard Time and the auto adjust for Daylight Savings Time. Also set the beginning of the week to Sunday.

I know this seems trivial compared to rising fuel prices, negative ratings, illegal taco benders raping Swedish girls and Governor Spitzer practicing fiscal responsibility by paying $3000/hour for a hooker, but hey, I embrace the mundane.

If you won't do this for me, do it for the children. Think of all the poor children around the world who go to bed each night without a clock in their home. Not knowing if it is really bedtime or if their parents are playing a cruel trick on them.

I thank you and Sally Struthers thanks you! It takes so little to give so much.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No I don't have OCD. But I do have clean hands. I just washed them, again! My problem, one of many, is I confuse easily. I can be reading a post a 10:00 p.m. E.D.T. and 5 minutes later somebody has posted showing tomorrow's time and date. Then I have to look at my watch and wonder how and where 2 hours went.

I just feel it would simplify things if everyone was on the same time. If your load should take you across the International Date Line then feel free to use what ever freaking time you like! But for E.O. purposes one default time zone would be nice.

I gotta go wash my hands. I touched my keyboard.

roadee

Seasoned Expediter
Well put on the time it confuses me but then so does the real world:rolleyes:
Later in whatever time zone your in....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The date and time settings in the User Control Panel shouldn't have any effect insofar as the times being different depending on what others have chosen for their settings (assuming the software is working correctly). All posts should be timestamped at EO Server Time, or GMT, and then automatically corrected by the software to reflect your settings when viewed.

In other words, this thread was started at 12:03 AM EDT, which is 4:03AM GMT. (Eastern Daylight Saving Time is GMT-4 hours, meaning, whatever time it is here, Greenwich hit that time 4 hours ago). If you go into your CP and change the settings to, say, Tokyo time, which is GMT+10 hours (it says +9 in the Edit Options, but that's wrong, Tokyo is GMT+10 due to Daylight Saving Time), then when you look at the time on this thread (have to reload it, probably), it will reflect your local Tokyo time of 2:03PM. But, everyone who has their CP set for EDT, it should still show 12:03AM.

If you leave it at Tokyo time and post something, others should see it posted at the time reflected on their CP settings, not yours, because the EO servers are set for GMT. That's a long way around me wondering why you are seeing posts that people are making in the future. And wondering if the software is working properly.

To see, I just went and changed my CP settings to Tokyo time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's where I had my settings for Tokyo when I made the post, and then loaded the page:

attachment.php

Here's where I reset my settings back to EDT and reloaded the page again:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 445a.jpg
    445a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 245a.jpg
    245a.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 102

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Personally, I lovvvvvve Pepsi! I know what Moot was talking about; I had the same issue awhile back, and it was kinda making me wanna wash my hands more often than usual and go out and buy a whole pile of bobbleheads for myself.. sooooo I went into my control panel to see, what could the problem be.. but the problem, I believe, was with me, and my settings, as opposed to anyone else's, becuz I haven't experienced the problem since..
I'm in the EST timezone, and I guess my settings were automatically set to something else until I changed them to EST; with Moot being in a different time zone, not sure how it would work for you, unless you change your control panel to EST, which you did? And has the problem alleviated itself? (I mean, other than not really knowing what time it *really* is?):D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Lawrence can you help me out here? I think the E.S.T. revolution started without you!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I wouldn't change anything until Phil gives us a 10 step program on time changes and how it affects your hand washing practices.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't change anything until Phil gives us a 10 step program on time changes and how it affects your hand washing practices.

Isn't there some industry trend that we can see with this movement?

What is the ROI in changing the time, will it make us feel better when we arrive back home from our watch servicing session?

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
did someone really pay 3000 for an hour with a hooker?shoot I bet it was more like $50 for 1 minute but he was just bragging that he could last an hour so eveyone assumed it was 3k