This Is What I See....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all due respect Dakota, (that's the equivalent of using smilies), you could get the HE double hockey sticks out and start your own forum devoted to humor topics that get beyond beat to death.

Now, of course, I didn't mean that. I just thought if Dakota saw that kind of statement directed at him, he might see how rude and stupid it is to type something like that.

So, I ask, are those of us who grow weary of the inane chatter the problem? Or, is the small group of chatters that think that kind of domination is good for the forum?

ya know Star..hope I type this right.....the chatter moderates with the business..sometimes when everyone is sitting and bored it gets very chatty... at times it is almost non existent.

There will always be chatter..it all comes down to how much...and by whoms standards?...how much is too much I ask? Are some asking for No chatter at all...or just a little bit?....How much is a little bit? and again I ask...whom judges just how much a little bit is....

A chat/banter thread would be good...In the location thread one could give said location and how the weather is as an add on and then switch over to the chat thread....it is simple to do but appears hard to get people into the habit...including myself...guilty as charged...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
wow, go away for a few days and come back to and escalation of this banter / chat stuff...Well I will scertainly admit i am a "chrater member of the "Mag 7" as Jim as so graciously named us..Thank you!

So this is what I see, everything that has been stated in all of the threads on this topic are all simply each others opinions, no one is going to agree on what, how, where, when, to post...everyone has their own ideas about how this stuff goes and no one is right or wrong...as Turtle said, "Every community has their Goober, and Barney, and Ernest T. Bass." and that is certainly true.

One thing i can tell you and as many times as this topic has been talked about from time to time in the 3 yrs i have been here, you will see an small improvement for a while...but sooner then later, you will see it go back to where those that think there is a problem will be back bring it to the front as those that don't see it as a problem will over time return to what they do...it is not a deliberate effort to "t" people off (well until thise that don't like it start complaining, then there are people who will do it just to do it), it is simply the evolution of threads....yeap, it will change for a bit, but it will evolve right back again...So enjoy it while it last, cause we will be right back here again, talking about the same thing.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But Chef..they are including the Soapbox.....and it was setup to be as it is....it is NOT a regular part of EO..Dale aka Dreamer only put it there for us to get rowdy..anything goes except name calling:rolleyes:....and language.....everyone was told the soap may not be for everyone and it sure is not....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
So much discussion today and now we have people actually going back and doing a count of their posts in specific threads and seeing a need to defend themselves.

One person trying to explain to another why they shouldn't post as often as they do or about certain subjects (all clean I might add)...putting that person on the defense as well.

IMHO....this is nothing but cyber-bullying crap. It's happened in the soapbox and now it's happening in other forums.

Soapbox....One group of members makes constant attempts to make others appear or feel stupid, either because of their beliefs or what they've said or how they've posted it.....or even who they've linked a story to or quoted. What the hell happened to the on/off button?? Isn't it like the radio?? I mean, some on here have admitted to passing posts by because of the color of the fonts used.....how hard can this be for everyone else....to just ignore someone that irritates you instead of trying to control the dialog??

Now...some of these same members, joined by others, have decided to bring the same bullying tactics to the other forums. What a bunch of crap this all is. If this forum isn't 100% politically correct enough for you folks then why not just refuse to read the threads that you know may be dominated by someone that irritates you?? Maybe you're just days away from "fundamentally changing" the whole house??

Last time I checked, everyone that's doing the complaining pays ZERO of the bills here. I don't think the membership should expect to make the rules so why doesn't everyone just take a chill pill and let the owner state how things will be??

Expediter world mentioned the above too about this site.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But Chef..they are including the Soapbox.....and it was setup to be as it is....it is NOT a regular part of EO..Dale aka Dreamer only put it there for us to get rowdy..anything goes except name calling:rolleyes:....and language.....everyone was told the soap may not be for everyone and it sure is not....

Only one person mentioned the Soapbox, and then just to illustrate how the 'cyberbullies' operate. [A premise I totally disagree with, but will not address here, cos it doesn't belong here.]
The Chef's premise is partially true, in that we do tend to revert to form after time, but - I've been here longer, and see the chat as a relatively recent development, [can't recall any complaints about chat until recently] outside the normal chat that is inevitable. And necessary - "All work & no play" you know....
With Lawrence's blessing, we can but try The Weekly Pickle, and see how it goes, eh?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
With all due respect Dakota, (that's the equivalent of using smilies), you could get the HE double hockey sticks out and start your own forum devoted to humor topics that get beyond beat to death.

Now, of course, I didn't mean that. I just thought if Dakota saw that kind of statement directed at him, he might see how rude and stupid it is to type something like that.

So, I ask, are those of us who grow weary of the inane chatter the problem? Or, is the small group of chatters that think that kind of domination is good for the forum?

No offense taken, I posted that in a kind of tongue in cheek matter, I wasn't being serious at all. I am rarely serious, think of me as the class clown :p:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Expediter world mentioned the above too about this site.
It's been a really long time since I've visited there. Thanks to this mention I (and probably many others) just went there (something that I'm sure Lawrence is just all school girl giddy about). It's certainly quieter over there, that's for sure. Not much banter, not much nonsense. What I heard in there as I explored from forum to forum was mostly crickets.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I guess you just play nice on "their" terms and sooner or later each posters personality in posting will come back to the fore...no matter what the topic or forum...people will post the way the converse.....that is what I think most that take issue with the banter are mising..its about "personalities", it has nothng to do with how one feels about another poster or the issues of others, it about how each poster sees a post and and the "conversation within it.

It is really in the Location thread to do as I just did..while i posted i was back n service, I also stated why i was out of service..now it would be easy and totally natural for a hockey fan to pickup on that post and comment..it is goes from there...its a natural thing in conversation...

Now to say that the Mag 7 go out of their way to tke a thread and change the info flow, i just don't see it as deliberate and it certainly by no means happens in every thread....when it come to technical stuff about the industry or the trucks and vans...you will not see much tread drift at all...it is mainly in the General topic threads..such as the Load 1 tread..yea it was to share info on the companyand that happened, but it was in a general sense not a technical sense....and being general, the topics are going to be wide and varied and even about the drivers and their interest, not just the company....

As I said, there will be an effort to control the banter for a while...but it will return over time, its just the way it is..and that is not mean to say that "we will be back"...its just how things evolve....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
It's been a really long time since I've visited there. Thanks to this mention I (and probably many others) just went there (something that I'm sure Lawrence is just all school girl giddy about). It's certainly quieter over there, that's for sure. Not much banter, not much nonsense. What I heard in there as I explored from forum to forum was mostly crickets.

Mass exodus a few years back.....the group was referred to at the time as "The Dearly Departed".....:D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ya know Star..hope I type this right.....the chatter moderates with the business..sometimes when everyone is sitting and bored it gets very chatty... at times it is almost non existent.

Yup, as we are reaching the 1st quarter we'll all be spending quite a bit of time here. But, as Cheri said, what we're seeing lately is different. I'm a huge fan of humor. One of the coolest memories I have is seeing George Carlin live, also Robin Williams. I love to laugh. One of the fun times here on EO was when Doug,(remember Doug?), started the story thread. Creative fun, not the same old thing being hammered into the ground over, and over, and over, and over...

But, of course, what's funny to some won't be funny to others.

No one wants to see it "all business" here, I don't think. But, when you're going through a thread and you see a couple of screen names, and then you think,"here comes the 'shorts' reference", and BAM!, there it is, well...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The thread was awesome, and the photo [posted by Turtle] of Highway Star whizzing in his own Cheerios was priceless! I guess after that, the bar is pretty high, for humor.....:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yup, as we are reaching the 1st quarter we'll all be spending quite a bit of time here. But, as Cheri said, what we're seeing lately is different. I'm a huge fan of humor. One of the coolest memories I have is seeing George Carlin live, also Robin Williams. I love to laugh. One of the fun times here on EO was when Doug,(remember Doug?), started the story thread. Creative fun, not the same old thing being hammered into the ground over, and over, and over, and over...

But, of course, what's funny to some won't be funny to others.

No one wants to see it "all business" here, I don't think. But, when you're going through a thread and you see a couple of screen names, and then you think,"here comes the 'shorts' reference", and BAM!, there it is, well...

And everyone accuses me of bringing up "Those Shorts"::rolleyes:

clcooper

Expert Expediter
Is the Glass Half Full OR is it Half Empty.
What about the groups that ***** about the Big Trucks on the roads . Slowing their 4 Wheelers down . Trucks cause all the accidents on the road . THE BIG TRUCKS NEED MORE LAWS ON THEM . And what about every thing else in your lives that is being controlled by what other people think is better for you .
I am a American . Not a African American, German American, Irish American, ETC.
If I want to drive with out my seat belt I should be able to . It is my life . If I want to make my child have a bed time for school I should be able to . If you believe in wearing your self belt then wear it . If you want your child to go to bed before or after I send mine to bed so be it . It is your choice not mine how you live your life .
SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME WORRY ABOUT YOUR SELF .
If I cant spell a word or write a sentence right .SORRY . I am not as perfect as you . But remember can you do every thing your self . Change your own oil , What about set the clock on the VCR . BUT least you can spell VCR right and know how to use VCR in a sentence correctly .
Just like you know how to drive truck for a living . Do you know how to build the roads that you drive on , How the fuel is made , How to grow ,make the food you eat . SO WHAT MAKES YOU SO SPECIAL to tell some body else how ,what ,when and every thing else to live .
My point is remember this is how all the stupid laws are started . Just like prohibition . By a small group that DIDN'T drink , Or their spouse came home drunk to many times.
I like Star Wars , MAMA fighting , Dirt Track racing . So do you hate me because you don’t like the same things as I do . do you think you can convert me to your likes.
If I was president I would make every watch the star wars trilage once a month . Is that the type of life you want . Do you want some body else controlling you what ,how when and everything else .