thinking of buying a couple of sprinters,what do yall think.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, but do the gas engines like idling all night (or day) keeping you warm or cool while you sleep?

Thanks!
Christopher

Keep in mind that gas engines have been fuel injected now for something like 30 years. No more carbs. Idling isn't a problem.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Didn't realize the injectors are what made the idling possible.

Thanks!
Christopher

Me tink there are many things you don't realize. It is admirable that you want to help some unemployed buddys. Believe tho, to place drivers in a van, specially, some 7 to 3 types, with an employee mentality seems to be a recipe for disaster.

My suggestion would be.....never own any more equipment than you can drive by yourself at the same time.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Ummm, again, I think you've got me confused with the OP. I'm not looking to buy any vans at the moment, or employ anyone right now. My questions were for my own future consideration.

I'm actually just hoping to get back in with an owner at the moment. I'd prefer straight truck on top of that.

I'm gonna slip on out of this thread to avoid further confusion. Sorry for the threadjack.

Thanks!
Christopher

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You didn't do anything wrong, col there just hit the wrong quote button.

BUT seeing the injector thing came up, I'm trying to figure that one out too, never heard of it.

guido4475

Not a Member
Right now I am seeing Ryder selling 06's for around 20k,with around 54,000 miles on them.If I can get the financing,I might consider one,but not 100% sure.My Ford has just been too good to me.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You didn't do anything wrong, col there just hit the wrong quote button.

BUT seeing the injector thing came up, I'm trying to figure that one out too, never heard of it.

Yessir, hit the wrong quote button. Regardless, for a newb to increase units by say, 300%, and hire/contract unknown, limited travel experience individuals, is not a good thing. Regardless of what the OP feels is the relationship between the two partys, the contractor/employee in most cases will blame the OP for what happens in their financial life, good OR bad. Unsuccessful folks who become disgruntled, even if it is completely their fault, can, and usually will fubar a fledgling business like this.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Im not sure if I would be comfortable buying used sprinters anyway. Yea you could get lucky and get one maintained like it should. Then again you might get a dud from a guy who was a red light to red light racer to see how fast he can go who only changed the oil every other 6 months..

With the known high maintenance and high break down rate of a sprinter neglected I would be really un easy buying a used one unless I saw receipts . Or I would look into used Aerocells. I would rather have a large aerocell than sprinter.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
While I have been doing this for 3 yrs and in a sense still a newbie....Ill be spending the $30-40 grand to buy a new truck this summer, but it will replace the CV I am driving now, not to add another truck...as the Col said, having more trucks then you can drive personally, just doesn't do it for me.....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I brought it up in response to the question of idling a gas engine. Back in the days of the carbuerator(screw it, I can't spell it), people just didn't idle them for 8, 10, 14 hours at a crack. Carbs just didn't work that good. You may have gotten by using an idle stick to raise the idle, but most likely it would have started to idle rough, the stick would slip and the engine would stall. Then you'd be trying to start a flooded engine. That's changed with fuel injection. I believe that's where the old conventional wisdom of gas engines not being able to take idling came from.

Or, maybe I'm just whacked out of my head...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I brought it up in response to the question of idling a gas engine. Back in the days of the carbuerator(screw it, I can't spell it), people just didn't idle them for 8, 10, 14 hours at a crack. Carbs just didn't work that good. You may have gotten by using an idle stick to raise the idle, but most likely it would have started to idle rough, the stick would slip and the engine would stall. Then you'd be trying to start a flooded engine. That's changed with fuel injection. I believe that's where the old conventional wisdom of gas engines not being able to take idling came from.

Or, maybe I'm just whacked out of my head...

that and the idling would clog up the converters...did in 98 Dodge van....but I hear they come a long way gas can now idle without this happening...don't know if this is true tho...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What about cop cars of the past? They idled a lot.

Never heard of this but I guess without controlling the mixture tightly, like with a fuel injected engine, the carbs just fed the engine with fuel based on the idle mixture control with nothing else.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
What about cop cars of the past? They idled a lot.

Never heard of this but I guess without controlling the mixture tightly, like with a fuel injected engine, the carbs just fed the engine with fuel based on the idle mixture control with nothing else.
if u use Marvel Mystery Oil,u wont have carb problems,,:D