They’re (almost) here! The cicadas are coming

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
They?re (almost) here! The cicadas are coming

It’s not a welcomed reunion, but after 17 years the cicadas are set to return to the East Coast.

Insect experts say that starting in mid April to late May, residents from North Carolina to New England will witness the emergence of billions upon billions of the singing insects. For them to emerge, the ground has to be a mild 64 degrees, notes retired Smithsonian entomologist Gary F. Hevel. That's how, even eight inches below ground, the insects know, "It's party time."

“In places where they’re going to be present, it’s going to be spectacular. There could be as many as 1 billion cicadas emerging per square mile,” Michael Raupp, a professor of entomology at the University of Maryland, told 1010 WINS.

Cicadas spend most of their lives underground. Near the end of their lifespans they emerge to climb trees, shed their exoskeletons, sing, fly and mate. Both females and males die soon after the females lay their eggs. The next generation will emerge in 2030 to repeat the cycle all over again.

Aside from the mess and the loud mating calls, these swarms of critters are harmless. But their homecoming in the last stage of their lives is unforgettable to those who experience it thanks, in part, to how they serenade whole neighborhoods with their loud chorus of chirping.

"Most people say it is like a science-fiction movie UFO sound,” cicada researcher Dan Mozgai wrote to Yahoo News in an email.

The East Coast, he added, should expect piles of the dead insects around their homes: "They can pile up like dead leaves."
Mozgai also pointed out that in areas where old trees have been removed due to storm damage or new housing developments, cicadas won’t be seen as they "live along the root systems of the trees and need them to survive.”

The cicadas about to spring from the ground are called Brood II, and are offspring from the last cycle that showed up in 1996, reports National Geographic.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How did the author decide that one of the most wonderful of natures wonders was "unwelcome"? The emergence provides a WONDER food source for all who want it, even humans. They are harmless. Must be a city dud. Probably an environmentalist too.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
How did the author decide that one of the most wonderful of natures wonders was "unwelcome"? The emergence provides a WONDER food source for all who want it, even humans. They are harmless. Must be a city dud. Probably an environmentalist too.

LOL, wouldn't an environmentalist work with nature? :rolleyes:

So probably is a City dud LOL :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How did the author decide that one of the most wonderful of natures wonders was "unwelcome"?
Because the "thoroughly disgusting" is usually unwelcome.

Green_Grocer_Cicada_close_up__zpsc60327e0.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Because the "thoroughly disgusting" is usually unwelcome.

Green_Grocer_Cicada_close_up__zpsc60327e0.jpg

To determine something is "thoroughly disgusting" based solely on it's looks is a form of prejudice. :p

They are AMAZING creatures and their emergence is a marvel to behold. I am thankful to have lived long enough to see it happen again. I only wish I had time to fish this "hatch". I tied up some "flies" last time that were "killers" when the trout were gorging themselves to the point of being sick. They would feed on nothing else when the emergence was taking place.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To determine something is "thoroughly disgusting" based solely on it's looks is a form of prejudice. :p
Yes, it is. But that's not upon what I base my determination.

They are AMAZING creatures and their emergence is a marvel to behold.
The same could be said for truck drivers emerging from their cabs and waddling across the parking lot. That doesn't make them less disgusting. :D

I am thankful to have lived long enough to see it happen again. I only wish I had time to fish this "hatch". I tied up some "flies" last time that were "killers" when the trout were gorging themselves to the point of being sick. They would feed on nothing else when the emergence was taking place.
Move to Kentucky and become thankful really often. We have both the 13 and the 17 year varieties, and several broods within each. For example, in 2011 we had brood XIX of the 13 year cicadas go crazy. In 2012 it was brood I of the 17 year variety. And in 2015 were already bracing everything west of I-65 for brood XXIII of the 13 year variety. In 2016 the Boyd, Greenup and Lawrence areas will be visited by brood V of the 17 year plague, and in 2021 brood X if the 17 year cicada will be statewide, with it being especially bad along the Ohio river and the KY/TN border. We also had broods emerge in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2004 and 2003.

If it was just once every 17 years it would, indeed be a marvel to behold. But when it happens every year or every couple of years the wonderment is replaced with loathing and contempt.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, it is. But that's not upon what I base my determination.

The same could be said for truck drivers emerging from their cabs and waddling across the parking lot. That doesn't make them less disgusting. :D

Move to Kentucky and become thankful really often. We have both the 13 and the 17 year varieties, and several broods within each. For example, in 2011 we had brood XIX of the 13 year cicadas go crazy. In 2012 it was brood I of the 17 year variety. And in 2015 were already bracing everything west of I-65 for brood XXIII of the 13 year variety. In 2016 the Boyd, Greenup and Lawrence areas will be visited by brood V of the 17 year plague, and in 2021 brood X if the 17 year cicada will be statewide, with it being especially bad along the Ohio river and the KY/TN border. We also had broods emerge in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2004 and 2003.

If it was just once every 17 years it would, indeed be a marvel to behold. But when it happens every year or every couple of years the wonderment is replaced with loathing and contempt.

I don't want to live in Kentucky. It's hot too often and too long. The fishing and waterfowl hunting sucks and there would be little use for my flies since there are few good fishing areas.

It's not my fault you are prejudice against nature's bounty. They are a VERY good source of low fat protein. Every thing that eats them, loves them. Maybe that is your problem.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't want to live in Kentucky. It's hot too often and too long. The fishing and waterfowl hunting sucks and there would be little use for my flies since there are few good fishing areas.
OK, granted, I missed Lawrence's post announcing the "Who Can Demonstrate The Most Ignorance Contest." But you win.

It's not my fault you are prejudice against nature's bounty.
No, it's not. But it is, however, your fault that you still do not know and understand the meaning of the word "prejudice." Here, let me help you with that.

Prejudice -
an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

Living through cicada outbreaks and having experience them first had multiple times, and basing my comments and conclusions on those experiences, cannot possibly, under any circumstances, be considered an opinion formed beforehand without knowledge, thought or reason.

They are a VERY good source of low fat protein. Every thing that eats them, loves them. Maybe that is your problem.
Well, I've eaten them, and I don't like them. So you're wrong again. Maybe that's your problem. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, granted, I missed Lawrence's post announcing the "Who Can Demonstrate The Most Ignorance Contest." But you win.

No, it's not. But it is, however, your fault that you still do not know and understand the meaning of the word "prejudice." Here, let me help you with that.

Prejudice -
an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

Living through cicada outbreaks and having experience them first had multiple times, and basing my comments and conclusions on those experiences, cannot possibly, under any circumstances, be considered an opinion formed beforehand without knowledge, thought or reason.

Well, I've eaten them, and I don't like them. So you're wrong again. Maybe that's your problem. :D

I don't have a problem, I am just having fun. Well, I do have a problem with toenail fungus, Obama and his supporters, but none of those are cicadas.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They're probably pretty good dipped in chocolate.
Heck, almost anything is good when dipped in chocolate.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Imagine being inside a snowglobe, but instead of snowflakes, what's flying around is little cigar shaped critters, and they will fly right into your face, and get tangled in your hair [if you have any] and into your clothes, your car or truck, the kid's sandbox, even their pb&j - it's worse than a Stephen King book! Uuugghh!!! :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Imagine being inside a snowglobe, but instead of snowflakes, what's flying around is little cigar shaped critters, and they will fly right into your face, and get tangled in your hair [if you have any] and into your clothes, your car or truck, the kid's sandbox, even their pb&j - it's worse than a Stephen King book! Uuugghh!!! :eek:

Not much different than the mayfly hatch on Lake Erie, which is just weeks away. ANOTHER amazing emergence to see. I LOVE that time of year and how nature seems to take care of things. Those flies hatch right at the same time as many birds do, providing a much need food source. The mayfly also provides a year around food source for many fish and other water dwellers.

Kids should not have a PB&J in the sandbox anyway. Kids don't need to grit.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They're probably pretty good dipped in chocolate.
Heck, almost anything is good when dipped in chocolate.
In order for cicadas to be tasty, even chocolate doesn't help. The only way to go is to wrap them in bacon.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was mainly thinking in terms of billions getting into everything and driving you crazy.