the winds of war are a blowing

24darode

Seasoned Expediter
I worked for a company several years back that got rid of as much of their assets as they could, but it wasnt to raise capital it was to help them when they filed for bankruptcy just a thought

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave,

I guess it is kind of surprising about the lease purchase plan, but then again, why wouldn't you try and sell these trucks to your existing drivers? Lease purchase is a scary proposition, but if you have drivers you are trying to squeeze out, then they probably won't have to fill as many vacancies if they offer to sell them a truck. Drivers who can't get approved for a loan on their own will flock to it. CD&L couriers (now a part of Velocity) did this. The other option to them is to hire an outside cartage service to handle all of their trucking.

If they have a third party do the lease purchase as that is indicated, it moves that liability off their books. I wouldn't be surprised that the lease cost is twice as much as a loan payment.
That maintenance fund is another joke. They anticipate most to fail. If not, they wouldn't have a need for that.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
CharlesD, you hit the nail SQUARELY on the head! I'm sitting here boiling at the first half dozen posts that the issue is not about fuel or lack of freight; it's about getting torched by the very ppl we get our loads from. Many on here have an opinion of what freight pays based on what they are making. I'm sure these same ppls' jaws would drop when they find out the reality.

I'm going to make an educated guess here, and say that companies are paying an increased rate because of fuel prices. Load boards and brokers are not passing those increases onto us. Instead, as CharlesD has stated, brokers bid on the load and turn a profit, at the cost of the driver. And I know, being with a company that bids on other companys' loads, that these brokers can go three or more deep by the time we see it.

I'd venture to say the brokering business is making out much better than the trucking industry. Get rid of the bad ones, and we can get back to making a living. We can't do a thing about fuel prices. But we can do something about the broker industry.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Well stated, drivers are getting the shaft by their own companies. For instance; I recently had a load with company X that ran 400 and some odd miles. On that particular load I only made just over 400$. While I was at the shipper, the owner of the company-ie: (the shipper) handed me a check for 700 and some odd $. Someone is getting shafted and it's surely not the driver's companies. I explained to the guy that I do not handle money for company X, and that he would have to call customer service regarding any money. Well, I wish I could have had the money!!!! Now the other week, I had an airport p/u for company X where I had to dh 187 miles for a 56 mile load. Of course, I org asked for 200$ (which to me is a fair offer) and they said that there was no $ in the load for that. I ended up getting only 150$ for the run. Someone has to be getting paid for company X to send freight on an airplane. You cant bullcrap the bullcrapper.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You're right, Fall. Tho I was basing things primarily on brokers, the companies do it too. It doesn't surprise me one bit that they're paid $700+ for a 400 mile run and give you a buck a mile. They seem bent on this notion that you NEED X amount of money, and no more. Sorry... it's not your business what I NEED, it's what I DEMAND that you should be worried about. And all that jive about not having that much in the load? That what it usually is... jive to take the air out of your arguement and put the freight on your truck.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
When you contracted with company X, you agreed to a certain contract rate per mile, plus fuel. Sometimes company X may have a rate of $1.05 plus fuel for a B unit load for a large busy customer. They obviously cannot survive on .28 per mile that you run. Neither can they survive on $1.85 for a D unit. They may agree to do it at the rate for another carrier even. But there are other customers who will pay much more. In reality, the check that was offered to you was not really that big. You may have received a little less that 60% plus 100% of fuel. In some cases, you may have received much more than %60 plus the fuel charge.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
One thing I forgot to mention about the strike. Notice that it's coming at an all-time high in fuel prices? The truckers are organizing this strike not because of those prices, per se; but because they've been complacent in what they've been getting since deregulation. Now it's coming back to bite them! They need more money. It won't come from the customers who are in a crunch themselves. The only place it can come from is the group that's controlled the truckers' profits for so long... the brokers.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Well I think if something would happen and push quite a few people out of business it may make things better for those left standing. Supply and demand type deal. You know not to long ago we heard all these people saying there was a driver shortage. There really wasn't. A strike isn't going to happen, and if it does it won't be effective.

1. The majority of the drivers won't stick together to shut down to begin with.
2. There will be no clear agenda.
3. There will be no lead person to do the speaking.
4. There will be no clear time table as to how long you should shut down.

I also think if the bigger companies start hurting the government will try to bail them out. If they would stay out of things and tell everyone it's sink or swim time the true business people will figure out a way to hang on. One thing to remember about large companies is yes they have a large amount of assets, but they also have an even larger amount of liabilities. I guess we will see what happens.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Some a yous guys are typing like Chuckiewagon. Maybe give him a call, he might be able to enlighten you on some facts of life these days. Bet he won't encourage a strike now tho.

R

riverrat

One thing I forgot to mention about the strike. Notice that it's coming at an all-time high in fuel prices? The truckers are organizing this strike not because of those prices, per se; but because they've been complacent in what they've been getting since deregulation. Now it's coming back to bite them! They need more money. It won't come from the customers who are in a crunch themselves. The only place it can come from is the group that's controlled the truckers' profits for so long... the brokers.

finally someone that agrees with what I am thinking, everyone is talking fuel when they need to be talking rates and the way brokers are skimming so much off the top,up to 50% and more for doing very little.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Some a yous guys are typing like Chuckiewagon. Maybe give him a call, he might be able to enlighten you on some facts of life these days. Bet he won't encourage a strike now tho.

I don't think anyone is condoning a union. We're talking about getting a fair price for the freight we haul. I think you'd agree with that. You told me once 15% was more than fair. With the customer paying $3-4 a lot of the time, I don't see anything fair about it.

Hell no, chuck... er Fort Wayne wouldn't like it. He's dealing the same cards as the rest of em. Round and round. Doe-see-doe. From one broker to another, and there goes your dough-see-dough.

Ark... there is plenty of freight for everybody. Maybe not in expediting; but general freight is alive and kicking. Too many truckers just don't know what it's worth.

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
OK. Those of you that have made A contact to a SHIPPER to place freight on your truck, keep whining. Those of you that have not, please dont post further. Lets see whom has whining rites. There is a difference you know.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I've heard it for a long time. "lets strike". What needs to happen is for the drivers to shut down all at the same time for their 34 hr restart right before or after a holiday.
A strike will bring in "big brother" and a few drivers will end up in court and/ or jail. This is not just about freight prices, it also should be joined with the over priced fuel charges drivers are faced with.
A 34 hr restart is a legal way to prove a point and will not get the general public in an uproar, they will listen and so will the people in DC.
However it needs to be all drivers: IE: company, IC's, hot shot, big rigs right on down to the van drivers from all 50 states.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
T-Hawk,
Like I said I felt pretty sure someone would find a different angle on the discussion. You did and I respect it. This weekend my family cooked a meal for my Grandmother's birthday. I was speaking with an Uncle of mine who works in the shipping department at a plant. He told me trucker's are getting paid a good fsc. That most of their fuel was paid for while loaded, and they were paying no more than a 1.25 a gallon for fuel. Well I respectfully disagreed. He said they are paying fsc on a sliding scale and Friday it was 46 cents per mile. .46 x 6mpg = $2.76 per gallon- $3.81= $1.05 So in theory if you are getting 6 mpg you should be only paying $1.05 for fuel while on that load. If you get better fuel milage of course you pay less. The question is does all of this fsc go to the truck or is someone keeping some for themselves? Then look at the rate. How much is it costing you when a load gets triple brokered? So I see where you are coming from.

Col,
I also see your point of view. I am assuming you are saying if you have a problem with brokers get out from under them and find your own freight. If that is the case I can respect that argument as well.

My Grandfather spent 50 years as a driver with a little over 40 of those years as an Independent O/O. He told me trucking has always been cut throat and it will always be cut throat. I believe that with all of my being. If you set up an account and someone else finds out about it they will be looking to undercut your rate and take it. I just wonder if you went in someplace and offered to haul something for what you needed to cover expenses and clear a decent profit would you be offering a bargain? Think about it you could offer someone a rate that is only needed to suppourt one household instead of three or four when you include the triple broker and finally onto the truck. I'm telling people to go out and get their own authority. I would be the wrong person to give that advice because I don't know that much about it, but they more I research it it seems like a more logical choice if you are business savvy and not scared to put yourself in front of people.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
That's one of the reasons I got my authority, that and I was tired of all the deadheading. Anyway, even with that, things have been a bit slow recently. Slow as far as number of runs, but the income hasn't been too awfully bad, but I digress. When I'm home, or when I'm on the road and have some free time, I've been going to some industrial places armed with a few business cards, trying to drum up some business. I've had mixed success. The thing that opened my eyes was when I was in one place and I told that guy what I would charge for a certain run and he almost fell over. He told me that they were paying more than twice what I was asking. I wasn't asking for a cheap rate either, at least not cheap by my standard, which is what I figure I need for a run to be nice and profitable. I figure I should get more for a run than I did as a leased on O/O becaue of the extra insurance costs, but it seems I can get that and still come in less that what some of these shippers are used to paying. Here's the funny thing. The shipping guy I was talking to told me the name of the company they had been using and it wasn't a broker per se. It happened to be a rather prominent carrier that shall remain nameless. Now if this other carrier was charging more than twice what I was quoting him, and then probably giving their driver somewhere between .80 and 1.00 a mile, how much were they making off the run?

I'm not saying they're all doing that. I started my driving career with a local courier company in Cincinnati and they paid a percentage of the load revenue. They were also pretty transparent about what they were getting for a load, so you knew what their cut was on every load you did. There were some that I knew they weren't really making a lot of money from, but they were servicing a customer and keeping that client happy. Not everyone is this business is unscrupulous, but too many are. Having your authority presents a new set of headaches, but I've made more money since I got mine. Having more than one source for your loads will increase your chances of not sitting so long, at least most of the time, and being able to work with shippers will greatly increase your chances of getting a better rate. The money's out there to be made. You just have to bypass the middle man, or middle men in many cases.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK here is a really stupid question;

I know about CH robinson, now I know about JB hunt, but can someone tell me where the other places are where this freight is hiding?

If you don't want to post it, pm me.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Do you really think anyone will care about owner/ops they will say go get a company job.
I was reading that towne air is going to phase out company drivers and are going to lease purchase trucks new and used to anyone that can qualify as a a driver.
they will have alot of straight truck and day cab tractor work.
here is a copy of what I read

TOWNE AIR FREIGHT
Where RESPECT and HONESTY meet

Come on over to our Towne and see why our community of drivers continues to grow. Our driving force at Towne Air Freight and Rocket Expedited Services enjoys the honesty and respect that drivers deserve, while receiving one of the most lucrative and attractive benefit and compensation packages in the industry. Our number one resource is our drivers and we are driven to succeed by attracting and retaining the number one resource that will help us serve our customers - the best drivers on the road.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are currently looking for Owner/Operators OR Lease to Purchase prospects ONLY to do local pick up and deliveries. (straight trucks and Daycab tractors) Fleet owners who are willing to hire for these positions and regional linehauls are also available. In order to expedite the process, you may scroll down and read important information below.

Job Details

Local pick up and deliveries

Home Daily!!!

Loading and unloading required

Settlement Deducted Health Insurance

Base Plate, Permit & Fuel Card Programs

Affordable Truck Insurance

Direct Deposit
Lease to Purchase program

Settlement deducted payments

All drivers approved by TAF, automatically approved for lease

Maintenance account
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY

Due to the high volume of interest in these positions, we must ask that you read the following information to understand what we are looking for and what you would be doing for our company, should we choose to enter into an agreement in the near future. If, after going over this information, you are still interested in requesting to contract please fill out the questionnaire mentioned below and return it to our recruiting dept as soon as possible to be approved and added to the list of IC’s waiting for these positions to open up in your area. If you are not interested in being an owner/operator but would like to work for our company, we have fleet owners that are interested in speaking with you. Please let me know via e-mail or phone and I will connect you with the right people.

STRATEGIC BUSINESS DECISION:

Towne Air Freight has recently made a strategic business decision to start utilizing “Independent Contractors” (IC) for most driving and delivery positions. This includes our local pick up and delivery routes. Over the next year we will be converting our company drivers to IC’s on a by terminal basis. Unfortunately, some of our company drivers will not take advantage of this opportunity and will choose to move on to different companies. As this happens, we will need outside drivers who are willing to take over these routes as independent contractors. This is where you come in.

LEASE TO PURCHASE PROGRAM:

Towne Air Freight has put together a top of the line Lease to Purchase program for qualified drivers who do not already own a truck. If you are approved to be a driver for Towne, you are automatically approved for the Lease to Purchase program, no matter what kind of credit history you have. The only upfront money that you will need is the documentation fee, which varies with each leasing company. We will take your payments right out of your pay settlements and send them to the lease purchase company. There will also be a certain amount per mile deducted from your settlement and put it into a maintenance account that is to be utilized for all preventative maintenance on the truck.

The maintenance program is a simple voucher system. Whenever you need work done on the truck, you take the voucher to the service station, they will bill back the leasing company and the leasing company deducts it from your maintenance account. This system is nice for a couple reasons. First, the leasing company will be able to negotiate better rates for you with the service stations since they have buying power, thus saving you money on truck service. Second, at the end of the lease, when you own the truck whatever money is left over in the maintenance account will be given back to you. Both leasing companies that we do business with have a reporting system for you to be able to keep track of the activity and balance on your maintenance account.

USED OR NEW TRUCKS FOR LEASE:

You will have the choice on whether you want a used or new truck. Since we will no longer need company trucks, we will be selling our fleet to one of the leasing companies who will sell them back to the drivers. These are used trucks, all 3 yrs old or newer and already have the Towne Air Freight logo on them. If you prefer a new truck there are a couple different options, depending on which leasing company you go through.

LOCAL PICK UP AND DELIVERY ROUTES:

The position itself will entail, you as the independent contractor, having a certain zone that you will be required to service on a daily basis, Monday through Friday. You will be home nightly, as you will not be traveling far from the terminal. Towne Air Freight already has a large customer base that you will be required to provide world class customer service. The pay for these positions will largely depend on the distance and the amount of freight you have on your truck, so obviously, the better you service the customers in your area, the more they will want you to come back, therefore the more money you will make.

Income potential is unlimited. You are not limited to one truck and some routes will require the same owner to have more than one truck leased on with us for that zone. For instance, a zone may require both a straight truck and a daycab tractor to service that area. These zones will include enough revenue to make payments on both trucks and pay another driver that the owner would be responsible for finding and maintaining. As an independent contractor, it is important for you to understand that it is YOUR business and your responsibility to maintain that business, including your employees and/or contract labor.

PAY:

Pay will be based on several different factors but a single truck will average $1800-$2000/ wk before expenses, depending on what kind of truck you are running. If you are part of our Lease to Purchase program you can expect to bring home $1000- $1200/ wk on average for a daycab, $950-$1100/ wk average for a straight truck, after expenses. Expenses include truck payment, fuel, maintenance, plates & insurances. Basically everything you need to run your business.

It is also important for you to understand that you are responsible for your plates, insurances, taxes etc., HOWEVER, Towne Air Freight has secured relationships with third party vendors that are here to support you as a business owner, if needed.

HOW TO GET APPROVED:

As stated above, we will be converting our terminals in phases over the next year, meaning that some routes are not available today but will be in the near future. These positions are already filling up quickly and will be on a first come first served basis. That being said, it is vital for you to get your information in to our recruiting department now so that we may start the approval process and add you to the list of drivers who are interested in these positions as they come available. As we approach each terminal to figure out which company drivers will be converting and which ones won’t, we will be referring to these lists and contacting approved independent contractors that are ready to take over. Please download the mandatory questionnaire from our webpage at Towne Air Freight (careers page, bottom right hand corner) and fax or e-mail it back to Towne, recruiters will immediately run your MVR and background check. If you are approved, someone will contact you right away to go over any further questions you may have about our program. Please feel free to call if you have any questions on filling out the questionnaire.

Thank you for taking the time to read this information and I look forward to working with you!

Requirements

Experience Requirements

Tractor: CDL A w/ Hazmat endorsements and 1 yr verifiable tractor trailer experience
Straight truck/ 26,001 or less: Chauffer w/ hazmat and 2 yrs straight truck experience
Straight truck/ 26,001 or more: CDL B w/ hazmat and 1 yr straight truck experience

Owner Operator Equipment Requirements:

Vehicle must be 7 years old or newer
Must have a current USDOT inspection
Contact information: Jennifer Whitney, 1-800-788-8135 Ext 2388, [email protected]

Like every other recruiter you make it sound all nice & tingly you plan on taking over the freight industry and making us all happy & secure! I'm sick of hearing this type of garbage. I'm sure you are just another pretty store front until you walk in side like most of the other freight Company's. You make the big money at the owner/operator's expence.

Welcome to MexiAmerica Land of opportunity for the rich corupt Government decision makers who promis to make it all better (Yah-Right)

Garman

Last edited: