The Trump Card...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
BTW - if anyone is wondering why Uncle Clarence didn't recuse and voted the way he did (to uphold Trump's appeal) to SCOTUS here it is:

It appears that his wife Ginni may have been deeply involved in events preceding and leading up to Jan 6th ... in some ways or another.

That is not to say that she was necessarily involved in instigating violence or knew that it would happen.

Clarence don't want what is there to come out ... because his wife's name will be in it.

The investigation of the riot that took place on that day isn't the only investigation that is being crowd-sourced by independent researchers.

It's a fair bet that what has been, and is being, discovered will be turned over to the Jan 6th Committee and the media ... among others.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Status Check

Trump's executive privilege claim is not getting stronger it's getting weaker; all but obliterated by yesterday's U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

The three Trump appointees on the U.S. Supreme Court are not helping Trump. In this case, to a person, they rejected Trump's legal arguments and ruled against him.

The executive privilege arguments made by a handful of Trump operatives for not cooperating with the Jan 6 Select Committee are not getting stronger. They were significantly weakened by the same Supreme Court ruling; increasing their legal jeopardy and the likelihood that some of them may flip and testify against Trump.

Witnesses refusing to cooperate with the Jan 6 Select Committee are not large in number, the number is tiny; massively overwhelmed by over 400 witnesses who are cooperating.

The Jan 6 Select Committee is not suffering from a lack of information it wishes to obtain. With yesterday's ruling The U.S. Supreme Court opened the National Archives gate Trump sought to keep closed.

The New York State Attorney General's civil investigation into the Trump Organization is not winding down. It's ongoing and now informing the court of specific "fraudulent or misleading asset valuations" to get loans, insurance and tax breaks.

The Manhattan District Attorney's criminal investigation into the Trump Organization is not proceeding without access to Trump's tax returns, the U.S. Supreme Court, ruling against Trump, ordered the delivery of Trump's tax info to that office and its grand jury some time ago.

The courts are not quashing the numerous subpoenas issued by the various entities investigating Trump, his company, and his close associates; the courts are upholding those subpoenas the entities' rights to issue them.

The Jan 6. Select Committee's investigation is not fading in the public eye over time. The Committee continues to make headlines and will make more when it begins its televised hearings.

The strategy to delay the Select Committee's investigation until Republicans retake the House in 2020 (expected) and stop the investigation (presumed) is not highly effective. While some delays are obtained, the strategy is mostly ineffective as investigators from multiple entities win court battle after court battle and more and more information is made available to them. It is noteworthy that the pace of court action seems to be increasing as the courts seem to take some umbrage at being used by Trump as a delay mechanism.

The Fulton County, Georgia, District Attorney investigation into "... potential violations of Georgia law prohibiting the solicitation of election fraud, the making of false statements to state and local governmental bodies, conspiracy, racketeering, violation of oath of office and any involvement in violence or threats related to the election’s administration” is not losing steam. It appears to be nearing an important milestone as that DA says she will likely convene a grand jury and make charging decisions this year.

Trump's frequent charge that all this is "politically motivated" or a "witch hunt" is not working. While often uttered, there has not been a single time where a court or prosecutor has accepted that argument as valid or persuasive.

Trump's access to social media has not been re-gained. He remains banned by Twitter and Facebook, and he has failed to produce an effective Trump-run social media platform of his own.

The insurrectionists who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, are not being let off. They are being convicted of crimes and punished. And the charges now being brought against some of them are growing in severity as prosecutors work their way up the chain.

There's more, but the point is made. Trump is in deep trouble and sinking deeper.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Just in case anyone missed it, Ray Epps is scheduled to sit and provide testimony in a transcribed interview tomorrow with the Jan 6th Committee.

:clapping-happy:

Not that it will eliminate baseless allegations and conspiracy-theorizing.

On the contrary, expect to see some rendition or another of "the fix is in" ... most likely from those who were squealing about why wasn't Epps being investigated.

:tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It gets more real for Trump every day. And given yesterday's Supreme Court ruling that obliterates Trump's executive privilege claim, this DA's investigation will be unimpeded by that claim and/or delay tactic.

This DA is investigating Trump for "... potential violations of Georgia law prohibiting the solicitation of election fraud, the making of false statements to state and local governmental bodies, conspiracy, racketeering, violation of oath of office and any involvement in violence or threats related to the election’s administration”

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

That seems like it could be problematic ... for a number of people but one in particular.

It gets more real for Trump every day. And given yesterday's Supreme Court ruling that obliterates Trump's executive privilege claim, this DA's investigation will be unimpeded by that claim and/or delay tactic.

This DA is investigating Trump for "... potential violations of Georgia law prohibiting the solicitation of election fraud, the making of false statements to state and local governmental bodies, conspiracy, racketeering, violation of oath of office and any involvement in violence or threats related to the election’s administration”

I can't wait to see how EO's righty tighties attack this decision.

Reactions: RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I can't wait to see how EO's righty tighties attack this decision.
Interesting perspective. Thinking about what you said, I spend zero time thinking about how people who disagree with me here might respond to my posts. While participation here is entertaining, the entertainment does not come at other people's expense. I don't post for the purpose of provoking other people's responses or pushing their buttons. Beyond my general hope that everyone is healthy and well, the emotional or mental state of a given EO reader is of little interest to me.

So, if I don't think about that, what do I think about when posting here? That's a good question. There are only a half dozen people who regularly participate in this thread these days. I guess what keeps me coming back is I enjoy the debate. It parallels the ongoing political debate in our community, but here, it's not face-to-face.

In the gym, I am staunchly neutral as it hurts business if we get off our fitness purpose and into politics. But here, I can express myself and mix thoughts with others of various political stripes. This is a place where I can discuss and debate political topics without driving a prospective customer out the door. I don't want people thinking about politics in the gym. I want them thinking about their fitness progress and health. In the gym, our purpose is help human beings -- not Democrats, Republicans and independents -- but human beings. In that context, politics is an unwelcome distraction. Here, it's an entertaining activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragman

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The fact that they kicked off anyone that would ask the real hard questions about the truth about jan 6th......

They refused to seat representatives who are very likely to be subjects of the investigation itself.

Having a history of acting in bad faith has consequences ... just as acting to further an illegal coup does.

• Haha
Reactions: muttly and Ragman

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Not going to worry because I believe it won't be in control of by Democrats come this November.....they are really beating a dead horse here with their hate for trump.

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Not going to worry because I believe it won't be in control of by Democrats come this November.....they are really beating a dead horse here with their hate for trump.
It seems to be generally accepted by Republicans and Democrats alike that the Democrats are going to lose the U.S. House in the 2022 elections and the Republicans will take over on Jan 3, 2023. And it seems generally expected that the Republicans will slow or outright terminate the Jan. 6 select committee and the investigation it is now conducting.

The committee members know this and are moving as quickly as possible to produce its report before that happens. They have already interviewed hundreds of witnesses, won several court cases that give them access to additional information, won the battle in the U.S. Supreme Court on the executive privilege question, and gained unimpeded access to White House records kept by the National Archives.

With this work done and court victories in hand, the pace of this committee investigation is not slowing, it is accelerating. And they have almost a full year to complete their work and issue a report. The report will likely refer several items to the U.S. Justice Department, which will then review the report and prosecute any crimes as it deems appropriate.

The expected Republican-controlled House will not have a veto-proof majority, so the House will not have the ability to direct Department of Justice actions. Where crimes are identified by the committee, the DOJ will likely take up the matters then.

The accountability snowball is rolling and a Republican-controlled House will be powerless to stop it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I said above that Trump is in deep trouble and sinking deeper. Last night, additional news broke that is not good for Trump.

The news is actually about Rudy Giuliani and other Trump campaign officials. It remains to be seen what involvement, if any, Trump himself had in the reported fake-elector scheme (a crime according to some). But given Trump's direct involvement in other efforts to stop the transfer of power to Biden, and his close connection to Giuliani, the suggestion that Giuliani ran this election fraud scheme without Trump's knowledge and consent strains credulity.

The news about forged documents and fake electors has been reported by several news organizations in recent weeks. The documents in question are known to exist, along with the names of those who submitted them to the National Archives. The National Archives turned these documents over to the states in question, and some of those now call them evidence as criminal investigations proceed.

The CNN story (link below) that names Giuliani as the one who directed this operation cites "... three sources with direct knowledge of the scheme." I am always troubled by news organizations that report "news" based on unnamed sources. Because of that, I rarely reference such stories or share links to them here.

But in this case, the story seems credible because we already know fake documents were improperly submitted and they are the basis for election fraud investigations in one or more states. And we know the names of the fake electors who participated in this scheme by allowing themselves to be named in these documents. This is not a made-up story reported with little basis. Numerous components are factually indisputable and exist in plain view.

I think it is only a matter of time before some of the fake electors, to protect themselves, flip to reveal all details of the scheme. It seems to me this is yet another straw on the camel's back of Giuliani himself flipping on Trump.

Giuliani is a near-ruined man whose records have been previously seized, whose ability to practice law has been stripped, who finds himself without a Trump pardon, who has received no known financial support from Trump. He has become uncharacteristically silent in recent months.

It seems to me that flipping on Trump is one of the few cards Giuliani has remaining to play, and it seems increasingly likely that he will play it. He has played the attorney-client privilege card before, but that does not mean he will continue to play it in the future. Nothing stops Giuliani himself from violating that privilege if he deems it necessary to do that to save himself.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The dude has a podcast and radio show on Wabc77 m-f . But other than that, he has been quiet. Lol.