The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding the president or party and gas prices, or jobs, or the economy, or the stock market, or other such things, it is simplistic, misleading to others and perhaps even self-delusional to say a political entity (man or party) influences what the next economic indicator will be.

If you look at a long-term stock market chart, for example, and superimpose presidential terms over it, you will find no pattern that suggests the president's policies or a party being in power controls stock market outcomes. So too with oil prices or pretty much any other indicator people like to consider.

The economy is bigger than any president, or party, or even country. There are hundreds of cycles of various kinds always in play. There are hundreds of variables to consider when trying to grasp what is really going on. That's why I say it's simplistic, misleading and perhaps self-delusional to consider just one variable and one indicator and pretend there is a predictable cause-and-effect relationship between them.

Related: Just yesterday someone told me to be deeply concerned as a business owner now that the Democrats control the House, Senate and White House. Taxes will go up, he said. What he did not say, and what he obviously did not know (and is not open to hearing) was that our taxes have already gone up, and that was when the Trump-supporting Republicans controlled the White House, House and Senate.

It is simply not the case that one party is better for the economy than the other. A look at the recession/expansion chart with party control superimposed over the recession/expansion times demonstrates that.

Since this is thread dedicated to Trump topics, I invite readers to look at the number of jobs that existed when Trump took office and compare them to the number of jobs that exist now. You may be surprised by what you learn.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Meanwhile antifa is still slashing and burning,,,thought that was called insurrection and now how do they get away with that...o wait,,that different they are not attacking a federal building,,,thats clear now...i think

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since Trump has faded into the sunset it's time to look forward to the much anticipated accomplishments of Joe Biden and his Democrat Congress. This should be interesting theater for the next couple of years, judging by the 17 "Good Things" Biden did on his first day in office. Among those was ditching the Keystone Pipeline, rejoining the Paris Climate Accord and the WHO; but the most eye-catching for many was his executive order mandating that any educational institution receiving federal funding must admit biological males to womens' organizations, sports teams, locker rooms, restroom facilities, social organizations, etc.

The order states in part:

Every person should be treated with respect and dignity and should be able to live without fear, no matter who they are or whom they love. Children should be able to learn without worrying about whether they will be denied access to the restroom, the locker room, or school sports. Adults should be able to earn a living and pursue a vocation knowing that they will not be fired, demoted, or mistreated because of whom they go home to or because how they dress does not conform to sex-based stereotypes. People should be able to access healthcare and secure a roof over their heads without being subjected to sex discrimination. All persons should receive equal treatment under the law, no matter their gender identity or sexual orientation.

A similar law went into effect in VA this year directed towards their public schools.

Wonder how many parents are looking forward to explaining to their 12 year-old daughters the reasons acne-faced boys are trying out for their softball teams and will be with them in their restrooms this spring?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Well, it takes a brave man or a mental DB to approve bathroom privileges for both sexes to pee together and hold hands at the sink,,lmao We have lived to long , we have lived to long to .......................

Last edited:
Reactions: blackpup

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trumps exit approval number higher than Biden's approval entrance number 51 to 48 percent.
Didn't this insperational fellow garner something like 12 million more votes than Obama?
# thatssomefunnychitrightthere.

Reactions: Turtle and Pilgrim

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Presidential terms are four years, but Trump Derangement Syndrom lasts forever.
I heard people using the term, Trump Derangement Syndrome, but paid little attention to it until now. It seems Trump Derangement Syndrome is a condition attributed to Trump supporters or Trump critics, depending on who us using the term. In both cases, it will likely last forever in some people. Those people will go to their graves with the syndrome in full effect. But I think it will fade in most people. We're already seeing that happen in some. We'll see more and more of the fade as time passes.

From Wikipedia:

Trump derangement syndrome (TDS) is a pejorative term usually for criticism or negative reactions to United States President Donald Trump that are perceived to be irrational, and have little regard towards Trump's actual policy positions, or actions undertaken by his administration. The term has mainly been used by Trump supporters to discredit criticism of his actions, as a way of reframing the discussion by suggesting that his opponents are incapable of accurately perceiving the world. Journalists have used the term to call for restraint when judging Trump's statements and actions. The term has also been used by political commentator John Avlon to describe Trump supporters who are unable to accept reality, such as Trump’s defeat in the 2020 election.

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Muttlypedia:
Trump derangement syndrome: Fake "News" media's 95% negative reporting on Trump. Nancy Pilosi tearing up Trump's SOTU speech. The year before clapping like a seal mocking his speech. Pushing impeachment twice on non existent evidence.
Most of Hollywood actors. Deniro wanting to punch him in the face. Kathy Griffin.
Hillary Clinton, no explanation necessary.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Trumps exit approval number higher than Biden's approval entrance number 51 to 48 percent.
Didn't this insperational fellow garner something like 12 million more votes than Obama?
# thatssomefunnychitrightthere.

Nah ... not even ...

:tearsofjoy:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, I believe every word in that article.
This story is part of the larger story that is developing as additional facts become known and witnesses begin to talk. One New York Times story does not a case make. But it seems Trump was keenly interested in reversing the results of the Georgia election, and it seems he committed a number of illegal acts toward that end. As evidence and witnesses continue to surface, I think Trump's Georgia efforts will coalesce into state and federal criminal cases with which Trump will be charged.

Now that Trump no longer has the protection of the presidency, which gave him the power to avoid, delay, thwart or otherwise slow or disappear investigations and prosecutions, Trump's illegal acts will resurface and may be charged. Time will tell how many of these will be charged, and how soon. As I review the list, it seems to me that Trump is at risk of being charged with:

• Seditious Conspiracy (acts in connection with the insurrection)
  • Perjury (in connection with the Muller investigation)
  • Obstruction of Justice (in connection with the Muller investigation)
  • Solicitation of a Bribe (Ukraine)
  • Campaign Finance Offenses and Conspiracy (Trump is already an unindicted co-conspirator known as "Individual-1" in those cases)
  • Possible Mail Fraud, Wire Fraud, Tax Fraud charges related to the campaign finance offenses
  • Bank Fraud, Tax Fraud, Insurance Fraud (Trump Organization falsification of property values)

Additional avenues of investigation regarding:
  • 3,400 conflicts of interest between Trump's official duties and his private business (current tally with number still growing)
  • Use of public employees and resources in support of his reelection
  • Witness tampering.

To prosecute or not prosecute? There is a tension in this question. On one hand, yes, uphold the rule of law by holding Trump accountable for his illegal acts. No man is above the law. On the other hand, the country needs to move on. Don't prosecute in the interests of healing and unity.

I'm in the prosecute/rule-rule-of-law camp.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Once again, it's been fun having these political conversations on EO. And once again, I must face the fact that I am a busy small business owner.
Now feeling the cost of time spent on EO, I'm stepping back for a while to better run my business. As always, thanks for the interesting conversations. I appreciate your views and willingness to discuss them in this civil space.

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
This story is part of the larger story that is developing as additional facts become known and witnesses begin to talk. One New York Times story does not a case make. But it seems Trump was keenly interested in reversing the results of the Georgia election, and it seems he committed a number of illegal acts toward that end. As evidence and witnesses continue to surface, I think Trump's Georgia efforts will coalesce into state and federal criminal cases with which Trump will be charged.

Now that Trump no longer has the protection of the presidency, which gave him the power to avoid, delay, thwart or otherwise slow or disappear investigations and prosecutions, Trump's illegal acts will resurface and may be charged. Time will tell how many of these will be charged, and how soon. As I review the list, it seems to me that Trump is at risk of being charged with:

• Seditious Conspiracy (acts in connection with the insurrection)
  • Perjury (in connection with the Muller investigation)
  • Obstruction of Justice (in connection with the Muller investigation)
  • Solicitation of a Bribe (Ukraine)
  • Campaign Finance Offenses and Conspiracy (Trump is already an unindicted co-conspirator known as "Individual-1" in those cases)
  • Possible Mail Fraud, Wire Fraud, Tax Fraud charges related to the campaign finance offenses
  • Bank Fraud, Tax Fraud, Insurance Fraud (Trump Organization falsification of property values)

Additional avenues of investigation regarding:
  • 3,400 conflicts of interest between Trump's official duties and his private business (current tally with number still growing)
  • Use of public employees and resources in support of his reelection
  • Witness tampering.

To prosecute or not prosecute? There is a tension in this question. On one hand, yes, uphold the rule of law by holding Trump accountable for his illegal acts. No man is above the law. On the other hand, the country needs to move on. Don't prosecute in the interests of healing and unity.

I'm in the prosecute/rule-rule-of-law camp.